Best setup for multi-user Quickbooks remote access on 2003 Server?

minc3d

Gawd
I've got a customer that needs to have their 2003 Server setup in such a way to host multiple simultaneous remote users, all being able to be within Quickbooks on their own "desktop" interface.

From my reading, the best solution to this seems to be getting RDP & Terminal Services running. If I am wrong here, please lead me in the right direction.

The server will be accessible from a static IP externally, and the company already has QB Enterprise Solutions 2013 running.

Since this is the first time I've ever had to setup a Terminal Services server, could someone lead me in the right direction? Has anyone ever done this for multi-remote Quickbooks access? I've done some light reading on the messiness of CAL licensing and my head is already spinning.

They want to have 4 simultaneous users within QB Enterprise 2013, and the box is a Dell Poweredge 1900 that can support a max of 4GB DDR2 ECC which I am loading in very soon (it runs 32 bit Server 2003 Standard R2; can't install any more). I'm hoping this is enough horsepower to get this to work.

Any pointers or online directions someone can provide to help out in this setup?

quickbooks (any recent version (like from the past 10 years)) supports multi user support with a remote box being setup as a "server"

I did a site a few months back with the same scenario. You'll want to do a terminal server and then install QB.

QB has a cloud service also, but QB Enterprise works pretty well on terminal services

I personally use QB ONline for my company, but this firm I am consulting for is moving around hundreds of thousands of bucks at any given time and needs hardcore reporting... something I know QB Online doesn't have yet.

Any other input on this would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards getting TS running on the box and setup Remote Desktop user accounts for external users.

Yes- we've run QBE on terminal server at a site for a long time. Originally on 2003 up to ver 6.0. Now running QBE 11.0 on Server 2008r2, w/RDS and QBE as a published app. Works well. This is the only practical way to provide access for remote users.

Remember, you also need to provide a way to provide remote access into the lan, ie: VPN.

Your current hardware is marginal for perofrmance for new versions. Also, I'd think twice about running your enterprise accounting app on a 6-7 yr old server, and an OS that's now 3 versions old, soon to be retired.

I'd set up a new server, running Hyper-V, and run your new QBE server as a VM. That's what we've done.

Back