Best Servers for World of Warcraft?

ha.. nobody's suggesting to be a druid? sure, they're not the most powerful class in the game, but i love having the flexibility of being a spell caster, a warrior that can tank (bear form) a rouge (cat form, can stealth too) and you get the travel form at lvl30, whereas everyone else has to wait till level40 to ride animals.. and there's also a water form so you don't have to breath underwater and can swim faster.
combine this with being able to heal yourself and ressurect people.. i find it to be a very nice class for those who like to have every option of fighting availible to them

btw - i'm a level 27 druid in Lothar. name's blark if you ever decide to try to find me ;)

Shattered Hand aswell. I just started the other night though.

triath lvl 13 Pally :D! Skyfang Guild.

60 dwarf priest on Destromath PVP here....
also 45 dwarf rogue

currently not subscribed or playing....burnt my self out getting those chars in less then two months.

gpitpitan said:
60 dwarf priest on Destromath PVP here....
also 45 dwarf rogue

currently not subscribed or playing....burnt my self out getting those chars in less then two months.

Ok man, you know there is other things to do then play WoW? I mean damn two high level chars in 2months? You must have played like 12hrs/day. I'm assuming you don't have a job, and aren't a student. Shoot i think i play too much and i'm only to level 54 with a single char, and I have been trying to level pretty quickly. It is much more enjoyable if you only play a few hrs a day. I couldn't imagine spending all day every day playing a video game. I think my ass would hurt from my computer chair. Not to mention I would probably gain like 20lbs.

I play on Cenarius, a high pop PVE server, and it has it's share of issues, it's one of the ones that usually gets caught in the unexpected server downtimes. I went Alliance, Night Elf Hunter, currently lvl 48 - named Kilaen. I've always been a ranger, and hunter class was closest to that - I've enjoyed the class so far.

Level 26 Troll Mage and 41 Orc Hunter on Hellscream (PvE). For a PvE server, its not bad, high population-ish but not among the 20 that are always crashing. I'd rather do PvP but the people at work I play with wanted PvE.

Main advice I'd say is to go Horde. The Alliance has all the battlenet kiddies who have to go to bed by 10pm or their mommy will be mad, all the lonely losers who play female night elves or humans and stare at their big virtual boobs, or play Paladins (an Alliance-only class) because Paladins have the "EASY" button from the Staples tv advertisement.

If you want to play on the side with skilled adult players, go Horde.

49 Tauren Shaman here, contrary to what people say, at the higher end in PVP we aren't that overpowered, I get eaten alive by hunters, rogues and paladins.
Azgalor server, fairly stable, great server except for BOT and LINK alliance guilds, pansy 10 levels below them gank guild.

(cf)Eclipse said:
ha.. nobody's suggesting to be a druid?

Hey Eclipse, have to agree with you on the Druid - it's a marvelous class, especially if you plan on going solo or playing in small groups. You just can't beat the flexibility of the class for exploring, and honestly I haven't experienced a huge disadvantage in PvP. If you pick Herbalism and Alchemy as your professions you can come up with potions that help aleviate a lot of the PvP weaknesses of the class. Free Action to prevent Rogues from stunning is one of my favorites - it's a hoot to burn down a Rogue who jumps you and suddenly finds himself unable to Sap. Speaking of which, in reference to the "we KOS pallys" comments, my guild does the same for Rogues. Anyway, my guild only has 11 players (all from a former UT2004 clan), and I don't play in pick-up groups, so it's really nice to be able to fill in whatever role is needed when we're grouping.

I'm a 47 Druid on Azgalor (Silviril) - personally I'd avoid Azgalor as we seem to be one of the more unstable servers. Assuming you can actually log on, Raids are a slideshow and half the time the mail and auction systems are useless from lag.

Got a 34 Orc Hunter on Shadowsong...the server's been good to me so far :).

About Druids, they're a good support class but the best all around class has to be the Shaman. They can tank, heal, and nuke too but they don't have to shapeshift so they can do it all at once...and they get a travel form at lvl 20. Btw, Hunter's also get a travel form at lvl 20.

It's definitely a paper, rock, scissors game...each class has a class it can own and get owned by.

Current on Bleeding Hollow, but don't come here, one more person and it'll probably perma-crash.

And I'd hafta disagree, I was a lvl31 Warrior until I talked to the 3 lvl60 warriors in my guild, basically I couldn't hit anything, and it never got any better for them, a worthless underpowered class, that is only barely good at absorbing damage with epic shield/plate set. A rogue doing 4x the damage is more desirable as long as you have a shaman/druid/priest around.

So I'm a 20 troll rogue now, and its going WAAY better then with the warrior.

And its spelled hoarde, newb.

Peace.

I play on Feathermoon, and I've been playing the game for 3 weeks and have never encountered a single issue. I play Alliance - I would never play a bad guy in a game, but that's just me :) And I play a Palladin, too, so Truebuckeye, you can KOS me all you want. When I get to level 60, you'll be KMA ;)

I play lots of characters, all on RP servers as the rampant high level gankings on Sargeras SUCK. I play on Silver Hand (so-so), Earthen Ring (very good RP), and Feathermoon (very good RP).

Oh, and Alliance is NOT the good guys. Neither is the Horde. Each side has done things they should regret, but the Horde tends to actually try and fix it.

Warsong - 22 d0rf!! Rogue (High population PVP Server, way way too high, I often have to wait to login)

Mannorath - 16 Troll Hunter (Low/Medium population PVP server)

Laughing Skull - 22 d0rf!! Hunter (Low/Medium population PVP server)

Veldrid is my in game name for both d0rfs!! Zerlodd is my troll. Starting my own guild on Laughing Skull if anyone is interested.

Servers that i have characters on:
Kil'Jaeden (one of the problem servers :( ) PVP
Dzululth- lvl 32 Orc Warlock
Tulkas- lvl 23 Tauren Shaman
Mask- lvl 10 Undead Rouge
Medivh (actually a pretty decent server, even though it has its faults at times) PVE
Farhze- lvl 29 Human Mage
Maehros- lvl 4 NE Druid

Level 28 Night Elf Druid on Durotar. It is PvE, and medium pop, we had some problems over the weekend and monday night with lag on the eastern continent, but everything was great last night.

Really like playing a druid, and am almost to my travel form.

Don't forget that Hunter's can use Aspect of the Cheetah, and they get it before 30, I think it is slower than travel form, but it is definitely faster than normal.

A bit of instance advice for up and coming Alliance peeps -

Do VanCleef first (maybe 20-21), followed by Stockades (23-25), before BFD (24-26). The dark dwarves stuff in dun modr will be difficult, but group with someone higher than you for help.

We ran BFD before Stockades, so when we finally ran Stockades the mobs, even the bosses, were way too easy, and the drops sucked.

This might be a helpful in your search. It's a site that uses a plugin to take server population figures, and breaks down by class, horde (and it's spelled HORDE) vs. alliance balance, guild populations, etc.

Some servers have over a 3:1 ratio of alliance to horde, and for PVP, that's no good for anyone. Honestly, you'll be hard-pressed to find ANY server with a Horde population advantage.

Finally, I'd be sure you have 1GB of RAM. I only have 512 right now, and there's some major swapping going on when there's a lot to load, which happens when there's lots of players in the area I'm approaching or when I'm moving very quickly through different areas, such as taking a flight somewhere.

Good luck, and make good use of thottbot.com. Until Blizzard comes up with their WoW equivalent of Diablo II's Arreat Summit, or Warcraft III's Mojo Stormstout's, the best consolidated source of info has got to be thottbot or allakhazam.

I currently have a 60 mage on Malygos and a 21 Priest as well, both Undead.

Just a few notes for the uninitiated:

1) PVP servers tend to be one giant gank fest. i.e. prepare to die. A lot. Corpse runs are no fun; if you get doubled you're going to be in trouble.

2) If you want to focus on high-end raid content (i.e. onyxia, scholomance, etc.) then I would suggest a PVE server. Instances prevent llamas from following you into the areas with the best loot/monsters anyhow, and you'll be able to focus on the raid content better on PVE servers vs PVP servers where every time you go out to do something non-instanced, you have to worry about getting owned by 5 guys waiting in the wings.

Anyhow, there are advantages to both systems and disadvantages to both systems. My feeling has always been that I didn't want to get attacked when I was just running around, possibly die, and have to waste another 5 minutes on a corpse run. But some people like doing that, for whatever reason.

Also, Blizzard will be releasing battlegrounds sometime (not sure when) and when they do, all other PVP will be pointless anyways. Battlegrounds preview can be found at www.worldofwarcraft.com. Battlegrounds are basically massive PVP instances with really good rewads... regular PVP honor rewards haven't been implemented yet, so maybe that will change and PVP will be more attractive, but until then, it just seems like a nuisance to me.

Even on a PVE server, you can still raid towns BTW. You don't have to be on a PVP server to do it. Just get a bunch of friends and attack some guards (who are always enabled for PVP).

PS I would also like to note that the wowcensus.com figures are static and suspect. It isn't really known how they compile their data. Wowcensus most likely uses the census plugin for WoW which does a bunch of /who queries and collects the data... but what happens after that on the wowcensus site is anyone's guess. How much extrapolation can be done from a bisection at a given time to total server population is unknown, and as far as I know, no one has done an in-depth study into server populations of time using the census plug in.

Jiffylush: If you really like playing a Druid now, wait till you get travel form! I got my mount 5 minutes after I hit 40, but I still use travel form 80% of the time. The abilities to switch between forms almost instantly (with a talent line), gather while in form, and engage travel while in combat make it indespensible. Hunter Aspect is nice, but aside from being a little slower, it has a major disadvantage over Druid/Shaman travel: if you are hit by anything while in it, you get stunned (I believe it's for 3 seconds). That makes it a lot less useful. That said, Hunter is an awesome class for solo. You basically have a two person group wherever you go, and the class can use pretty much every weapon in the game from melee to ranged.

And I have to second/emphasize spotpuff's comment: If you get on a PvP server, go into in knowing that you will be killed a lot, and almost always by a player or group with an extreme advantage. Not only will 50% of the opposing players take you on with a 5v1 and/or 25 level advantage, most of them will deliberately seek out that kind of advantage and often times camp you for extended periods. They can call it part of the game all they want, but there are some really pathetic folks playing this game, and it's only getting worse as more and more people level up (and it's the same on both sides). On most PvP servers you will spend a lot of your time dying and - assuming you're not a wuss - most of the rest getting your revenge (the plus side of PvP). I knew what I was getting into and wouldn't leave - just make sure you do as well! You won't get a lot of sympathy once you're there...

Level 16 Night Elf Rogue

On Azgalor (PVP)

Since I started...less than a month ago, been having fun. I went nuts with EQ....spent my life on that game....

With WoW I'm be much more conservative with my time on this game. I am not wasting away all that many hours playing to get to higher levels. This game is nowhere near a time sink like EQ was...

Anyway, this server seems to be fine...I'm on a laptop playing...so my lag is apparent with 512ddr and this 32mb ATI 9000-mobility and 1.3ghz P-M. It's mostly serverside, though...as I'm sure everyone is aware of.

I have only been knocked off 2 times because of some error...

im confused with PVP, does that mean anyone can kill me, including other alliance characters if im on alliance?

No, on the PvP servers you can only kill people of the opposing faction. Horde can only kill Alliance and vice versa

KungFuJoe said:
No, on the PvP servers you can only kill people of the opposing faction. Horde can only kill Alliance and vice versa

This is true.

On PvP and RP servers you have to raise your PVP flag to fight .... well kinda.

See there are some exploits that allow you to raise the other persons PvP flag even on non-pvp servers.

My server is the best. I think they just stuck it in a corner and forgot about it because it rarely goes down.

Kortiz DZ said:
Level 16 Night Elf Rogue

On Azgalor (PVP)

I have only been knocked off 2 times because of some error...

Wow, you've either been really lucky, or have really, really been taking it easy! From what I can tell from the forums, Azgalor definitely isn't the worst server, but I'd rate it as almost unplayable 20% of the time, and if you're anywhere close to Ironforge up that to 70%. I don't consider it unusual to get kicked from the server 2 times a night, and that experience has been shared by guildmates scattered across the country. Then again, we do play a lot and mostly at peak times so YMMV...

I am loving the travel form, got it yesterday. It is allowing me to explore areas with creatures much stronger than me, and I can grief guards in cities like Crossroads with little or no fear of getting killed.

Looks like the problems from the weekend have been taken care of, I played most of the day and night yesterday (home with a sick child) and had no problems at all, was running all over the place questing, actually went from 29 to 31 yesterday.

So I got WoW the other day, I want to be able to play use magic and use bows and swords... Hmmm still cant figure out what class to be, this is my first mmorpg. Anyone got some good ideas on servers, and which are the most open to helping out a newb like me :)

Well I have been at it just over 3 weeks now, leveling has slowed a bit and I am spending more time gathering minerals for my mining/blacksmith skills. I hit lvl 30 with my Human pally this weekend, actual gameplay time was about 60hrs to lvl 30. As for those KOS guilds, I say KMA(Kiss My Ass). This is the reason I play on a PVE server. Don't need a group of asshats ruining my gameplay because they have issues with my class. I cannot wait till I hit 40 and get my mount. Currently running all over Darkshire playing fedex boy, what a waste of time some of these quests are. Better IMHO to just sit in the middle of a heavily populated area and waste 20~50 mob's than run quests for 1/3 the xp. and 3x the amount of time running around looking for some specific NPC or critter. My2c..

Well I just made it to 47 last night with my Dwarf Hunter, on Eonar. I have been furisously gathering materials, and you need a whole lot, to complete the first "Art of Weapon Smithing" quest. Not the cheapest thing to do ..... I just hope that this is worth all the time and money I am putting into it. :eek:

bonkrowave said:
This is true.

On PvP and RP servers you have to raise your PVP flag to fight .... well kinda.

See there are some exploits that allow you to raise the other persons PvP flag even on non-pvp servers.

This is too true. I have a char on Aggramar and it PvE. I was in Sent Hill in Westfall getting ready to do my first VC run and whammo the horde hits the hill. My lvl 20 mage stayed out of it and just watched them until some troll came over and whacked me. I know I didnt do a thing to activate pvp. Sent a query to a GM but so far (surprise) nothing. I play on 3 servers. One with one group of friends another with a different group and then one PvP. I have never had a que and I have never dropped from a server in the month I have been playing except once when my dial-up disconnected. So I recommend Aggramar (pve) and Boulderfist (pvp).

Well the newest update just nerfed the hell outta my class. Now the Pally is almost useless in combat. Can't tank for shit or deal out decent damage unless I am facing the undead. Pally's are now just well armoured healers. What a shame. Took me 3 weeks to get mine to lvl 31 and I have a lot of time invested. Looks like the rogue is now the "it" class if you want to be able to do decent mele damage.

It was bad enough this latest update nerf'd my class, but now my server is even more unstable than it was before.... way to go blizzard. I hope someone starts a class action lawsuit soon, they know they have oversold their service and cannot provide the usage they promise. They should waive their monyhly fee until they can provide services somewhere near what we are paying for. Instead they are rolling out new service overseas. :mad:

Evil Scooter said:
Well the newest update just nerfed the hell outta my class. Now the Pally is almost useless in combat. Can't tank for shit or deal out decent damage unless I am facing the undead. Pally's are now just well armoured healers. What a shame. Took me 3 weeks to get mine to lvl 31 and I have a lot of time invested. Looks like the rogue is now the "it" class if you want to be able to do decent mele damage.

It was bad enough this latest update nerf'd my class, but now my server is even more unstable than it was before.... way to go blizzard. I hope someone starts a class action lawsuit soon, they know they have oversold their service and cannot provide the usage they promise. They should waive their monyhly fee until they can provide services somewhere near what we are paying for. Instead they are rolling out new service overseas. :mad:
It wasn't a nerf, it was a bug fix. Seal of the Crusader was supposed to attack faster but deal less damage, and then have a small attack bonus attached to it from increased attack power.

Also, Paladins are pretty good at getting groups of mobs to attack them with consecration. I know there are some other tricks that can make you tank better, I suggest looking them up.

kick@ss said:
It wasn't a nerf, it was a bug fix. Seal of the Crusader was supposed to attack faster but deal less damage, and then have a small attack bonus attached to it from increased attack power.

Also, Paladins are pretty good at getting groups of mobs to attack them with consecration. I know there are some other tricks that can make you tank better, I suggest looking them up.

I thought we've already been thru this, If its bad for me, but good for you- its a bug fix. If its bad for you, but good for everyone else - its a nerf. And tell me at what point has a developer ever said "well, its working as intended but we are going to fix it anyway". And the point wasnt that he cant hold aggro its that paladins cant dish out decent damage anymore. With the new "bug fix" with SoC on for more than 10-15 seconds even getting a crit deals less damage than a normal swing.

Zoramac said:
I thought we've already been thru this, If its bad for me, but good for you- its a bug fix. If its bad for you, but good for everyone else - its a nerf. And tell me at what point has a developer ever said "well, its working as intended but we are going to fix it anyway". And the point wasnt that he cant hold aggro its that paladins cant dish out decent damage anymore. With the new "bug fix" with SoC on for more than 10-15 seconds even getting a crit deals less damage than a normal swing.

^^^^ What he said. Pally does crap for damage now. Sure I can agro andd hold mobs on me, but Pally's hardly make great tanks either when they cannot shell out decent damage. SoC is nearly worthless now, I am trying out seal of command but miss the speed. :(

56 warrior here (frostwolf)
im so lonely being the only frostwolf guy on these forums :( . i coulda been 60 by now but i stopped for a month to get my shit all back together.. crazy wow stealing my life away.

i think the pally was fine before.. you just have to know how to fight them. now i think rogues are gay because well... they can cheapshot you like 10 times a minute.

Back