Best Servers for World of Warcraft?

DandyBear

Limp Gawd
Well I am about to join the ranks of the addicted and partake in the epic struggle of the Alliance v.s. the Horde. I have eagerly been waiting since news of the game was released. I was wondering if you all had any tips before I begin? I am planning on a Dwarf/Paladin as my character. What are the better servers out there? Any tips for a total newb gamer in MMORPG's? Thanks for any input. Installing now. :D

Shoot for one of the low population servers. It will say low, medium, or high on the server selection screen. You also have to decide on PVP, PVE, or a RP server. I am on a PVP server and have a lot of fun with it. :)

First off, don't be a pally. Play a class that has a challenge to it and one that others respect. Most Hoard guilds have Kill on Sight rules for all pallys.

Secondly, don't play alliance, that's too easy. Go Hoard!!

Thirdly, I would suggest a pvp server, but that is just the style of gameplay I like.

Finally, I play on Mannoroth and it is one of the more stable high population pvp servers. If you are going to join this one, do not be a dwarf pally. Otherwise I'll have to kill you. Many, many times.

Enjoy! :)

What happens when you die, do you lose all of your equipment abilities? Kill on sight? Hugh, I like the sound of that, actually, makes for an interesting challenge then. I've always been a Paladin though, through my younger years of playing Dungeons and Dragons, don't laugh ;) Many, many times? I will hold you too that after Im out of the Newbie ranks. Perhaps I'll be a priest.

Edit: I guess I'll find out soon enough but how do you tell the class of a player? What's the difference between PVE and PVP?

DandyBear said:
What happens when you die, do you lose all of your equipment abilities? Kill on sight? Hugh, I like the sound of that, actually, makes for an interesting challenge then. I've always been a Paladin though, through my younger years of playing Dungeons and Dragons, don't laugh ;) Many, many times? I will hold you too that after Im out of the Newbie ranks. Perhaps I'll be a priest.

The death penalty is non-existent. You appear as a spirit as a graveyard. If you go to your corpse and ressurect there via a dialogue box, you take a 10% item durability hit, which has to be repaired for minor $$ in town. If you choose to resurrect at the graveyard, you will take a 25% durability hit.

And I'm not laughing about D&D. I'm 33 and still play! :D

I used to love D&D. I have always held playing with the highest regards. :D I see you work in IT me too, but I'm not an admin yet only a lowly level 2 tech support guru. Whats your characters name TrueBuckeye? I'll keep an eye out for ya, as for me I am still undecided. You can private message me if you don't want it public. ;)

DON'T GO TO LIGHTBRINGER!!!

CRASHES CONSTANTLY.

I switched over to Bonechewer and it has been flawless for the last couple of weeks.

My main is Farthe, currently a level 39 Tauren Warrior.

I have a number of alts, but I spend most of my time with him.

The hardest thing for me is picking a name. I pick one and wind up hating it later. I think I am starting on Killrog, I think its a PVE. For my first character I wanted to tread lightly and not get wacked every two seconds. I'm still stuck on the name. :p

play on daggerspine. low pop, PVP. and yeah, i do kill most paladin's first sight now. they seem to attack me freely.

DandyBear said:
The hardest thing for me is picking a name. I pick one and wind up hating it later. I think I am starting on Killrog, I think its a PVE. For my first character I wanted to tread lightly and not get wacked every two seconds. I'm still stuck on the name. :p

Just joined kilrog this AM before I left for work. Made a new human Pally and will be on tonight if the servers hold up that long. :)

If you were to choose between Paladin and Priest, I would say go Priest if for no other reason, then simply because there are dozens of Paladins for every single Priest. I personally don't like being the same class as everyone else, but maybe that's just me...

Erm, I left Daggerspine because I couldn't find anybody to do instances with and the auction house blew, among other things. I moved to Kel'Thuzad, which is high pop, and I experience relatively little lag

Anyone in Uldum? Thats were they put me. I am at Level 3 and all I did was kill a few wolves, lol. Hordies I'm coming for ya.

I play on Shadowsong, a medium population PVE server. Our server seems to be pretty stable only going down for the normal maintenance.

I'm playing a Tauren Warrior named Gardack that's currently level 46. Our server seems to be fairly mature with only the occasional idiot running around, at least on the Horde side.

Quick Hijack sort of thing.

In your opinion, as a new guy, which is the best way to go?
PvP PvE, or RP. And can you give me a quick summary of both, maybe Ups/Downs?

/Hijack. Sorry again!

PvE = You cannot PVP unless both parties agree.

PvP = Be prepared to be ganked.

RP= Your name must mean something in Klingon.

bonkrowave said:
PvE = You cannot PVP unless both parties agree.

PvP = Be prepared to be ganked.

RP= Your name must mean something in Klingon.

only thing I would add is PVP has contested zones, so you cant be ganked in rear area/noob area type of places

Thanks all, looks like I'll be going PvP. Maybe ill make another character for PvE.

I just don't want to make a lot of characters, since I really want to focus on one :-\

Waiting for my New Credit Card to arrive so I can friggin play already. *Sigh*

I play on Silvermoon, it's a PVE server. I only have trouble when blizzard takes servers down for maintenance, other than that I have no connection issues. I don't know if I'll play on a PVP server, I just don't see the fun in that sort of play and since I don't speak Klingon I'm going to stay with PVE. I would recommend playing a rogue though, it's really a fun class so far and I really enjoy all the sneaking around and the combat is good too especially when you get dual wield.

-Rikus

Sargeras is a PvP server that runs silky smooth damn near all the time. I play on there and have NEVER experienced any lag at all (except in a 300 member raid).. :)

Hmm...
I have been wanting to join am mmorp (yeah I spelled it wrong lol) for a long long time. Going on 6 years now. I think I might join the wagon after 2 of my friends did WOW too WOW too. I play warcraft three. can anyone give me some insight or direct me to some sources so I can read up and find out the difference between the three diff. Servers? I like the magic and stealth abilities. I just have no idea the trade off in the races. Then server wise... I would like to be in groups fighting and fighting at times. I would just rather not be in a bad server after spending countless hours then finding out that the server stinks and I need to start a whole new character on a diff server... That would royall stink. Well give me your thoughts. Thx!

I got to thottbot.com for all my WoW questions. ShadowMoon is rocking very nicely, its PvP and medium size. We need more horde, come join so I can kill you.

I play on Azgalor, but i believe the server is pretty full. I'm currently a 54 paladin and occassionally get ganked. However, it is happening less and less now. Maybe because i'm too high level for anybody cept a higher level shaman to solo. Of course I still get that occasional griefer who ganks me with 10% health and no mana, but that is to be expected when half the damn players are below the age of puberty. Everybody says the monthly fee thins out the young players, but I have yet to see any proof of that.

Gardack said:
I play on Shadowsong, a medium population PVE server. Our server seems to be pretty stable only going down for the normal maintenance.

I'm playing a Tauren Warrior named Gardack that's currently level 46. Our server seems to be fairly mature with only the occasional idiot running around, at least on the Horde side.

Shadowsong. 34th mage, named (oddly enough) Dthind

Solid server, little down time. Good community, AH moves pretty well.

As for servers, join one that suits your needs: PvE, normal, or PvP. If you choose PvP and actually want to be competitive, join a large one that is well known (Archimonde, Mal'ganis are a few that I know of). If you just want to have fun with PvP, join any server. Keep in mind though that certain servers experience extra down-time due to the high population.

Also, pick a class/race that YOU think would be best. These two are not related in terms of best race for a certain class (except for a priest who get racial spells). In deciding a race, stick to racial ABILITIES (not stats, as they become negligible at higher levels) and what you think looks cool =P

EDIT: Just remembered... higher populated servers have more items in the auction house. Just keep that in mind =P

I started playing WOW on a PVE Low Population server and I always felt safe, only had to worry about dieing from mobs. But this eventually got boring for me since the pvp seemed too planned and due to low population many times I would feel like I was in a ghost town. So I switched to a high pop. PVP server and I'm much happier with it, even though I've been ganked over and over I have also had my share of winning fights. But overall PVP is much better because it adds another element to the game to break up the grind.

Techx said:
I started playing WOW on a PVE Low Population server and I always felt safe, only had to worry about dieing from mobs. But this eventually got boring for me since the pvp seemed too planned and due to low population many times I would feel like I was in a ghost town. So I switched to a high pop. PVP server and I'm much happier with it, even though I've been ganked over and over I have also had my share of winning fights. But overall PVP is much better because it adds another element to the game to break up the grind.

Yeah... I really don't look to initiate many pvp fights, but I do like being on a pvp server. The tension and uncertainty while questing through contested or opposing faction areas keeps me on edge.

PVP servers rock because of raids. Sure it sux to be on the wrong end of a raid, but it is still fun to bitch slap some horde. I seem to always have to repell horde from southshore, but here is my guild plus some others doing a raid on freewind post a few days back. This is before like 30 level 60s showed up about 15min after we destroyed the town. We even kill the gryph and all his birdies, hehe.

And here are some non dialup friendly pix:

wow1.jpg

wow2.jpg

Back