Best server os for both web server and firewall?

Artluo100

Limp Gawd
I just put together a P3 and I'd like to make it as a firewall for my home network. I also want to make this machine a web server. Is there any recommendations on which OS to use? Also I would like to know which OS is best for a web server? same goes for firewall? I may put together another P3 system in the future so these 2 can be separate.

Small Business Server 2003 Premium...with ISA 2004... very robust firewall.

Pricey though for the home user.

If you don't mind a challenge, just pick a Linux distro. Then download apache/mysql/php, and you'll bet set. I'm not familiar with firewalls though. I've spent the past weekend setting a web server for myself for the first time using Ubuntu. I sorta cheated by using xampp, but i'm still messing around with alot of the confgs getting things the way I want.

The first things that come to mind are the Linux distros like IPCop and ClarkConnect. I haven't used IPCop in awhile, but I think it has the option of using Apache, etc as well as performing firewall duties. All the administration is done via a web browser based GUI.

If it's going to be a webserver too, I'd do a regular linux installation rather than something like ipcop. Just install your distribution of choice(I'd recommend debian or slackware for this situation) and then install apache. You'll probably also want mysql and php if you are going to be doing php stuff. For firewall, use iptables. There are plenty of scripts out there that make configuration easy.

Back