Best RTX 3070 GPU for Silverstone GD09 case

G_Speed

n00b
I'm planning to re-use my Silverstone Grandia GD09 HTPC case for a new PC build. It's size limits it to GPUs that are under 12.2" (309mm) long and 5.25" (133mm) tall. Pricewise I'm looking for something under $700, which at the moment means an Nvidia RTX 3070. From my searching, the three cards I'm considering that should fit are the Gigabyte Aorus, the EVGA XC3, and the Asus KO OC. Of these three cards, which do you guys think would be better for gaming while keeping case & GPU temperatures low, as well as the fan noise low?

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-REV2-0-WINDFORCE-GV-N3070AORUS-M-8GD/dp/B09B2W2ZQ3/
11.42" x 5.16" x 2.36", $669.99

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-08G-P5-3755-KL-Cooling-Backplate/dp/B097S5ZY7K/
11.23" x 4.38" x 2", $583

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-DisplayPort-Axial-tech-Technology-capacitors/dp/B09CC36XXC/
10.82" x 5.16" x 2.13", $624.99

I'm not sure if the length of the Gigabyte and EVGA cards would be a disadvantage or an advantage. Having a larger GPU means less air and less airflow inside of the case, but it also puts part of the card directly in the path of two of case fans. Initially I was thinking the shorter length of the Asus KO was a must for airflow and temperature, but I'm not sure anymore and am starting to lean towards the EVGA card because it's narrower, cheaper, and requires only a 650W PSU instead of 750W PSU which also saves money.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was going to say get a bigger case but just looked up your case it's pretty small.
Dealing with Heat Issue is no joke can cause lockups and stuff.

I was going to say get a bigger case but just looked up your case it's pretty small.
The Silverstone Grandia GD09 (https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/computer-chassis/GD09/) is a decent-sized case and can fit a full-sized ATX motherboard in it. I'm replacing all of the internals and just keeping the case since I couldn't find anything better IMO.
Dimension
440mm (W) x 170mm (H) x 358mm (D), 26.8 liters
17.32" (W) x 6.69" (H) x 14.09" (D), 26.8 liters
Because it's meant to lay flat in a TV stand and has a solid front panel, the intake fans are on the left and right sides and the exhaust is out the back.

Last edited:
Maybe I should consider the Silverstone Grandia GD11 which is slightly bigger at 440mm x 176mm x 390mm. It can fit bigger GPUs, PSUs, and CPU coolers. It also has space for a 240mm radiator. Unfortunately, I can only find it on Amazon and it's a little expensive at $171.90.
https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/product/info/computer-chassis/GD11/
https://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Grandia-Compact-Radiator-SST-GD11B/dp/B0B5GV42GH

Having fucked around with a LOT of HTPC builds over the time that should be fine. Frankly the 09 should be fine as well. IMHO I wouldn't water cool them as that messes with the airflow. It's honestly easier to do it now than it was before as with m.2 storage you don't have a lot of drives messing with airflow. If you can find one I'd go with a blower style RTX 3070 to help get the heat out of the case.

What kills HTPCs is the airflow in the TV stand. If the back isn't sealed, it's not flush against the wall, there isn't a closed door, and it's not surrounded by other heat generating items he's going to be fine. On the other hand if it's a closed back with cables run through it, he has consoles, blue ray players, audio gear, and closes a glass door in front it of it then no matter what case and what cooling it's going to have heat issues. The cases are extreme good at sucking air from side to side but people often place them in places that they turn into ovens and just recyle their hot air and the heat from everything around it.

You should be able to swing an evga xc3 or founder's edition 3080 for $700-750, which would be a huge boost over a 3070 and still fit (they're about 11.3" long). Don't spend $700 for a 3070! If you can watch pricing for a few days you can do a lot better on the 3070, or get a 3080. Keep an eye out on Bestbuy for founder's drops or newegg/Scamazon or evga store for the xc3.

What kills HTPCs is the airflow in the TV stand. If the back isn't sealed, it's not flush against the wall, there isn't a closed door, and it's not surrounded by other heat generating items he's going to be fine. On the other hand if it's a closed back with cables run through it, he has consoles, blue ray players, audio gear, and closes a glass door in front it of it then no matter what case and what cooling it's going to have heat issues. The cases are extreme good at sucking air from side to side but people often place them in places that they turn into ovens and just recyle their hot air and the heat from everything around it.

My TV stand is completely open in the front and back with only an A/V receiver and a Verizon box several inches away, so I'm good there.

You should be able to swing an evga xc3 or founder's edition 3080 for $700-750, which would be a huge boost over a 3070 and still fit (they're about 11.3" long). Don't spend $700 for a 3070! If you can watch pricing for a few days you can do a lot better on the 3070, or get a 3080. Keep an eye out on Bestbuy for founder's drops or newegg/Scamazon or evga store for the xc3.

I don't want to spend $700, but the price range for most 3070's at the moment is around $600 - $670. The EVGA XC3 RTX 3070 is at a nice price of $583 on Amazon. The cheapest I see the EVGA XC3 3080, though, is $809.99 at Best Buy. I'll keep an eye on prices, though, as I won't be buying PC supplies until the end of this month.

I'd like to make my PC case as quiet as I can reasonably make it, so I probably won't go with a Founders Edition. The two quietest 3070 cards look to be the MSI Gaming Trio and the Asus TUF Gaming. I think I've read that Asus and MSI have a history of making really quiet cards, but those two are just a little too long to fit in my GD09 case.

Back