Company of Heroes
Dawn of War 2
Men of War
Red Alert 3
Shogun 2: Total War
Starcraft 2
Supreme Commander 2
World in Conflict

As for which ones are good, it will be subjective, especially since the genre is more broader now in terms of style. Company of Heroes, Dawn of War 2, Men of War, Shogun 2, and World in Conflict for instance play much more differently than compared to "traditional" RTS games.

Remove CnC4. The only way that game is notable is how fucking horrible it is.

The Close Combat series are some of my favorite, although certainly old. I remember getting CC: A Bridge too Far when it was new, it was the first RTS style game I ever played, and it started a love for the genre.

Matrix Games has done re-releases and updates on most of the Close Combat games, I purchased Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein (Remake of CC:Battle of the Bulge,which I also owned when it was released) and have been in love with it as much as I ever was with the original, even after all these years.
Loved a bridge too far. Will relook them up.
Total Annihilation! Yeaaaaah! lol
TA is the godfather. I have never played a traditional RTS that has ever come close to TA. I have put literally thousands of hours into that game. I still have it installed.
I remember getting my parents to drive me all the way to Ottawa so I could pick it up on release day...I had been fallowing its dev in PC Accelerator magazine since it was announced.
Everything in that game was as it should be. Massive maps, countless units, awesome visuals, 3D, physics, multiplayer....a true RTS.
Men of War - > Very overlooked and very good. Great story and great game.

Total Annihilation is SupCom before SupCom existed, it's old, but tons of high energy fun (pun)
Men of War is the best RTS gem to sneak out in years. Visually its awesome, and gameplay, although extremely micromanagement is required, is extremely fun.
Does Men Of War compare to anything gameplay wise? Hoping this goes on sale on steam. Not gonna pick it up for $15 yet since I have so many games that I haven't touched yet
Its a squad based RTS similar to COH, but on a whole different level. Its like comparing Quake 3 to Rainbow 6.
You can take your squad, collect inventory off dead soldiers, pilot any vehicle you come across, awesome cover system, excellent 3D terrain, amazing penetration engine.
You can alo take direct control over units for added precision. Instead of just telling your solider to fire in a direction, you can control it, you can pilot a tank and direct control the turret to fire through a building and hit a vehicle on the other side with AP ammo(HE explodes on contact-damaging the environment)....
I remember the first time I controlled my Allied tank and fired at a German tiger tank only to have my round hit its thick armor and deflect off (at the correct angle) and destroy the APC beside it....Having to use HE ammo and hit it in the tracks to disable its movement, circling around and hitting it in the rear with AP.....Epic
that and the destructible terrain where your guys can find cover in craters.
look it up on youtube

voice acting is horrible though

Men of War and its expansion are great....Assault squad sucks, men of war vietnam is ok, but the mechanics dont work as well.

World in conflict is awesome, but it's kinda old now. Hard to find a decent server in non-peak times.

Back