Best RTS ever?!

-Command and Conquer: Red Alert (but the bum tank rush is still tghe lamest game play move evar)

Sorry, the CnC: Generals humvees loaded with rocket soldiers beats that rush hands down.

2. Warhammer 40k: DoW and WA - This game has been sucking up my time just as much as WCIII did. I rank it right up there with my favorite games of all time. Between this and WCIII it's pretty much a tossup. I gave the edge to WCIII just because I've been playing it longer but I think I enjoy DoW more than I ever did WCIII.

I tried to enjoy that game. I just couldn't do it. Not enough strategy options. It is just whoever sends over the bigger force the fastest wins.

Json23 said:
Rocket men works great against both those. lol, but only if you see it coming and have enough time. Those blimps were the strongest damn blimps ever made though. It took WAY too much damage before falling from the sky.

Sheer quantity could still over come the rocket men. Tanks you just run over them.....blimps you just make sure you have been pounding their perimeter units long enough for them to get their 3 stripes and then they bomb so fast it is all over.

And by lamest I meant the whole single unit bum ruch tactic.....doesn't matter the unit type just the whole order of battle was fubar because of it.

Sheer quantity could still over come the rocket men. Tanks you just run over them

Have your men slightly spread apart in a traingle, have them all highlighted, when the tanks get close push the "X" key on the keyboard. A few of your men get ran over - the rest live and are flanking the tanks. Thanks to horrible path finding, the tanks will be shot and killed before they can run over the rest of your men.

blimps you just make sure you have been pounding their perimeter units long enough for them to get their 3 stripes and then they bomb so fast it is all over.

Shoot them down while they are bombing your perimeter. I know it is easier said then done, but a few rocket men placed here and there make it a lot easier. Especially if there are structures they can get into for cover. But the blimp rush is certainly a lot harder to ward off.

Spectre said:
-Red Alert II (which introduced the blimp rush....hmmmm....I see a pattern)
blimp rush? No half way decent player would ever build multiple kirovs (blimps) and rush, lol. You have practically an hour to take one down. Kirovs are only useful for when you are trying to force your opponent out of his base.
edit. I'm also confused about you guys talking about "rocket men". The only rocket men in RA2 are the flying rocketeers. The only anti-air unit for the soviets are the flak troopers (which are only useful against air).

I dont really see why people always complain about rush's in games. C&C has always been about the fast placed gameplay and tank control. The gameplay is centered around the tanks, but the other units can play a vital role as well. The allies in RA2 multiplayer are generally considered a hit and run faction, that annoys with rocketeers, grizzlie tanks, and harriers. Soviets are more muscle, just pump out rhinos and have good tank control.

But there is more to just build a million tanks and click in their base. You also have to be able to manage your economy, harass the other player, expand to diff ore patches, etc.

I think the main reason people get upset though, is because they dont have the time to invest into the game to be able to win every game online. I'll admit that I definitely dont have the time I used to like high school and such, but that doesn't mean I should gripe about the game because someone else beat me.

TheCommander said:
Herzog Zwei is what got me into RTS.
Man! I forgot all about that one. Fun game. Got alot of play out of me. Still I gotta vote WC3 as my fave.

Json23 said:
Sorry, the CnC: Generals humvees loaded with rocket soldiers beats that rush hands down.

One-up that with CnC: Generals ZH. Play the Chinese Tank Commander, grab one of their super-choppers, fill it with rocketmen, rush your opponent's base early on in the game.

Chances are they won't have anything good up to fight against air, and by the time they've built rocketmen or gattling cannons, your chopper will have destroyed, well . . . a lot. Very cheap (money-wise and zomg cheater!!1-wise).

Edit: And to remain on topic . . .
CnC: RA (and Aftermath)
TA
SC

Earth 2150
Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
Rise of Nations
Empire Earth

All favorites for different reasons. I think EE is what got me into RTS gaming. :)

Never played WC3 or SC, for which I am rather proud. :D *hides*

I've played starcraft, red alert 2 and yuri's reveng, and all of the age of empires games. Personally, I like the AOE / Empires DOTMW games the best. I like having to collect all the resources and micromanaging. I grew up with the AOE game though, my freind who played Red Alert first can't stand looking after more than 1 resource. :p

Carloswill said:
Tiberian Sun from CNC
Are you serious? That game wasan embarrasment to the C&C series.
The original Red Alert on the other hand is one of my favorite games of all time.

The only rocket men in RA2 are the flying rocketeers

No, their were rocket soldiers, and in Yuri's Revenge the regular infantry man would use a rocket soldier if you told him to bunker down.

saber07 said:
blimp rush? No half way decent player would ever build multiple kirovs (blimps) and rush, lol. You have practically an hour to take one down. Kirovs are only useful for when you are trying to force your opponent out of his base.
edit. I'm also confused about you guys talking about "rocket men". The only rocket men in RA2 are the flying rocketeers. The only anti-air unit for the soviets are the flak troopers (which are only useful against air).

I dont really see why people always complain about rush's in games. C&C has always been about the fast placed gameplay and tank control. The gameplay is centered around the tanks, but the other units can play a vital role as well. The allies in RA2 multiplayer are generally considered a hit and run faction, that annoys with rocketeers, grizzlie tanks, and harriers. Soviets are more muscle, just pump out rhinos and have good tank control.
Acctually, the Soviets have Flack Tracks, Flack Connons and the apocalypse tanks had anti air missiles. But I agree, I don't play online much. I'de rather have a skirmish with AI so I can use all the defferent Units instead of a million tanks.

Starcraft for me. If blizzard removes head from ass they would see that alot of money can be made on Starcraft 2.

^^ Or World of Starcraft. Boy would that piss off SOE and their abortion of a game Star Wars Galaxies :D

That TA TC looks like it might be running on something like the Torque engine, or possibly ground control.

Anyways, I've always run hot and cold on RTS games in general, but the one that has most captured my attention and time is Warzone2100, which was possibly the first good 3d rts, the massive tech tree and and very customizable units (you had to design all your own units by combining differebt types of propulsion, body and turret) kept me engaged for days at a time.

Rts games I own and love, but havn't ever played as much as I would like because of time constraints are: RomeTW, Ground Control+DC, Homeworld2, Dawn of War and WC3tft.

Nexus is prob the prettiest RTS I've ever played.

Homeworld 2 is just pure fun when you have a good big game with competent people. Nothing like sending in a mass of fighters and corvettes into their base and drawing off ships as you jump your entire fleet into them.

Rise of Nations :Thrones and Patriots is great without the super powers, else it turns into a "who can utilize AI the best" stalemate of a game. I prefer a cap before the information age myself.

TA and RA2 were immensely fun for their own reasons,
but

warcraft3 FT is easily the best rts in available at this time...

and i doubt it'll change any time soon... until maybe starcraft 2

To be honest, I'm absolutely sick to death of RTSs.

They just all stick far too closely to the same formula. It feels like I've been playing Dune II for twelve years - there's just so little difference between that and most RTSs today.

The thing which pisses me off the most, though, is the complete failure of most RTSs to utilise the transition to 3D. The camera control and map design in Ground Control II were brilliant - they give the feeling you're immersed in a real world. It actually looks like real terrain and places no arbitrary limitations on what you can look at and what you can't. Something like AoE3 or WC3, on the other hand, feels more like you're looking at icons laid out on a sheet of paper. It's like a Civilisation map rather than a recreation of a real place.

So I've given up on RTSs almost completely. The genre's been pretty stagnant for a long time, and I'm no longer prepared to pay for what is little more than Dune II in shinier wrapping. GCII and Rome:TW might entertain me for a couple more months, and I've got Medieval 2 to look forward to... I might even dig up Commandos some time soon. But aside from that...

I might pick up an RTS in 2012, and see if anything's changed. I don't have my hopes up.

You do know that RTS games are simply what it is, right? It's war. There is no difference between a war in one time period versus another war in a different time period. They still contain the very same basis that consists of war: objectives, bloodshed, resources, etc. It's really difficult to even innovate games like this. At least give some credit for those that even bother trying.

-J.

Best RTS that I played was definetely Red Alert 2. Game provided hours of fun. EA botched the crap out of Generals and didnt provide more than 2 hours of enjoyment. As of right now Empire at War is providing a great experience. IMO, its up there with Red Alert 2. Game is so well balanced, fun, and great graphics, plus its Star Wars!!!

Best RTS of All Time:
--Warcraft 2

Honorable Mentions:
--Homeworld Series (Speifically the first one)
--StarCraft
--Myth II Soulblighter.
--Warcraft 3

Starcraft for me. If blizzard removes head from ass they would see that alot of money can be made on Starcraft 2.

blizzard already made more money off of WoW then any single game they have ever released, as much as i want to see diablo 3, or star craft 2, i can understand if they would rather put more resources twords WoW

GeForceX said:
It's really difficult to even innovate games like this. At least give some credit for those that even bother trying.
I do. The Commandos, Ground Control, and Total War series are the only RTS games I've played in the last five years which have really tried to distinguish themselves from the generic formula established in 1992. Sure, this formula has been improved, but even that pretty much stopped with Starcraft.

I just get the feeling that most RTSs today are exactly the same thing in a different package, and I've had enough. In the last year I've rented Battle for Middle Earth, Dawn of War and Age of Empires III, and I returned all three within two hours. I've learnt my lesson now, and I may never buy a traditional RTS again. It feels like I'm shelling out $50 for something I already have. Pretty much all I'm getting for my money is new art assets and maps. I may as well go download a mod.

By the way... Has anyone played Perimeter? It looked like a pretty original concept. Is it worth picking up?

EDIT: How could I forget about this one?

Sacrifice is the best RTS ever.

If you've never played it, I strongly suggest that you do so.

One game that was way ahead of it's time but didn't get any play, or I should say, only saw a limited amount of play was Dark Reign. The original game was awesome. It incorporated things that weren't incroduced into other RTS games until years later.

Json23 said:
No, their were rocket soldiers, and in Yuri's Revenge the regular infantry man would use a rocket soldier if you told him to bunker down.
No, there are no rocket soldiers in Red Alert 2, lol. Allied infantry are : GI's, engineers, dogs, spy, tanya, chrono legionairre (Yuri's Revenge: guardian gi,seal). Soviet infantry are : conscript, dog, engineer, flak trooper, crazy ivan, yuri clone (YR: Boris). Red Alert 1 had rocket soldiers, yes, but not in RA2. Believe me, I've played the game online for 4-5 years (on and off).

In Yuri's Revenge, the guardian gi's can deploy and shoot anti-air and tank missiles, yes.

Acctually, the Soviets have Flack Tracks, Flack Connons and the apocalypse tanks had anti air missiles. But I agree, I don't play online much. I'de rather have a skirmish with AI so I can use all the defferent Units instead of a million tanks.
Well, what I actually meant was the only anti-air infantry, not unit. The soviets also have the sea scorption (flak boat).

Weazmeister said:
One game that was way ahead of it's time but didn't get any play, or I should say, only saw a limited amount of play was Dark Reign. The original game was awesome. It incorporated things that weren't incroduced into other RTS games until years later.

Yeah it had some cool stuff like ordering units to do general missions like search and destroy and terrain that affected combat and movement far more pronounced than any other RTS. Some of it went a little too far, like said search and destroy, which would be great for those annoying guys who hide a farm in the corner of a map to keep the game going even though they've lost, but much of the time can degenerate micromanagement into delegation and you're no longer commanding an army as much as you're managing a base.

saber07 said:

I'll let you figure out how to use the blimps (airships whatever).

I dont really see why people always complain about rush's in games. C&C has always been about the fast placed gameplay and tank control.

Because the bum rush makes the order of battle useless and defeats the point the strategy part of the genre. RA has always been plagued by poor unit balance.

This thread has inspired me to start playing the Starcraft campaigns again (my router hates battle.net). What an awesome game, I can't believe how many hours of my life have gone into it. For Aiur!

I played that Spring 3d mod for Total Annihilation over the weekend - Hands down TA + Spring MOD is best RTS EVER.

LuminaryJanitor said:
I do. The Commandos, Ground Control, and Total War series are the only RTS games I've played in the last five years which have really tried to distinguish themselves from the generic formula established in 1992. Sure, this formula has been improved, but even that pretty much stopped with Starcraft.

I just get the feeling that most RTSs today are exactly the same thing in a different package, and I've had enough. In the last year I've rented Battle for Middle Earth, Dawn of War and Age of Empires III, and I returned all three within two hours. I've learnt my lesson now, and I may never buy a traditional RTS again. It feels like I'm shelling out $50 for something I already have. Pretty much all I'm getting for my money is new art assets and maps. I may as well go download a mod.

By the way... Has anyone played Perimeter? It looked like a pretty original concept. Is it worth picking up?

EDIT: How could I forget about this one?

Sacrifice is the best RTS ever.

If you've never played it, I strongly suggest that you do so.

Sacrifice was an outstanding game and it is ashame it doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. I think it gets looked over because it's more of a hybrid, like battlezone was. It's more than just an RTS.

My favorites are the Homeworld games. The gameplay and graphics are awesome and I like the idea of taking your fleet from one leve to the next. You can't just 'complete the objective' without regard to how many losses you take.

Back