Best RTS ever?!

Total Annihilation

theres is no explanation for this game, if you played it when it came out, and played on Mnet or HOTnet, or any of the multiplayer nets and actually had a system with 64 megs of ram on it! (some maps needed 128) you would see why, there is no words for its beauty

not to mention its probably the only reason why most of us know how to spell Annihilation

SC:BW is my #1 pick. I can't even begin to imagine how many hours I spent on that game. Any time of the day was a 4 on 4 match. I barely could get my assignments done in College because everyone wanted to take down the "zergman".

dune2, command & conquer, warcraft 2. TA and AOE are also good but not quite as classic.

Total Annihilation
Anything with the CnC stamp on it, although Generals and Zero hour are only good (GREAT) online.

Also, I loved Total Annhilation Kingdoms. I was probably the only person who does, but I think it is a great game that blends the best of Total Annihilation with the great fun of Warcraft style gameplay and graphics.

Did I mention Total Annihilation? :D

IMO... Rise of Nations and it isn't even close....

Rise of Nations is the Michael Jordan of RTS games with no Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Wilt Chamberlin to steal his glory :D

Anyway... My criteria that the game has that makes it so good is the depth of nations and the balance that they have. There are small variables in the game that require more "on-the-fly" strategy than any game I've ever played... RTS or otherwise.

The economy management as well as the importance of raiding/raid defense and the rare resources, and the territory/boundries coupled with the terrain of a given map, the governments, researching, etc etc etc.

I've never seen a game that required so much management skill of a player when playing at a top level.

Empire Earth
Rise of Nations
Empire Earth 2

Best RTS games hands down.

Warcraft III for me....so many hours spent on that game....Thank goodness I kicked the habit a long long time ago...
121.gif

Starcraft and Rise of Nations...

If RoN had the amount of people starcraft had to play online with then RoN would be the best hands down but due to constant multiplayer disconnection problems multiplayer wasnt always the best experience. When it did work nothing gave you more happness than winning a 8 player diplomacy game.

AoE2

Without a doubt my favorite RTS game. Me and a few buddies still play this game on weekends now and then. However, this post has made me want to go get Rise of Nations. I have never played it but it sounds like other people like it.

Molingrad said:
Starcraft and Rise of Nations...

If RoN had the amount of people starcraft had to play online with then RoN would be the best hands down but due to constant multiplayer disconnection problems multiplayer wasnt always the best experience. When it did work nothing gave you more happness than winning a 8 player diplomacy game.

Yeah that was certainly a disapointment of RoN...the MP aspect that is. Granted I never had the problems connecting like some did and they did release a fix but it was too much work for many that weren't inclined w/ computers to do. (at least they thought so). Game was so good in other aspects that it isn't tarnished by the Gamespy fiasco though.

warcraft 3 is the best in my book ... not because of the game blizzard released (which was great) but the game that the community has made it ... all the great maps and scenarios ...

dota, footman frenzy, etc...(lots of etc..)

Is there already an [H] RTS fan club/gaming league?

I want to play online with skilled players. I am tired of crushing person after person without trying online. Very few people stack up it seems anymore. I am betting some die hard RTS [H]ers would be able to put up a good fight, regardless of who wins.

Easily Command and Conquer Generals: Zero Hour. Me and my buddy used to play that for months online. The two of us on an 8 playermap against 4 Hard armies. So satisfying when you win. I remember one match taking over 8 hours to finish. Both of got smacked to hell and with very few funds and hardly any units we still managed to pull it back for the win. Ah the memories.

I enjoyed Act of War aswell.

I'm not an RTS gamer. But from an outsiders view. It's gotta be starcraft. The game's been around for how many years? And people are still playing it.

TheCommander said:
Herzog Zwei is what got me into RTS.

I didn't think anyone else played that game. I thought it was hella fun.

Json23 said:
We need to get an [H] Total Annihilation gaming crew together.

well the problem with TA multiplayer is that after getting deep within a multiplayer game, the game randomly crashes. You play for 2 hours with 4 people and 4 AI, and then you or one of your friends crash. Since there hasn't been any patches for this game in years no one can fix it. The only thing people do is make new maps and new units and all that other jazz.

no one can fix it.

Sure they can. But since Supreme Commander will be out in a year, I guess it would be wasted time. I just like the idea of it working because people with really freaking old computers can play it, meaning that we should be able to have HUGE gaming community if it did work.

It's a tough call for me betwen CnC and Starcraft. I treated them two totally different ways. I probably spent hundreds of hours doing campaigns in all the CnC games (specifically RA2), and almost no online play, but I probably spent the same amount of time playing SC:BW online.

Hmm... I'll probably go Starcraft.

I didnt like starcraft. Singleplayer was great but multiplayer was more of a resource war or rush race.
total annihilaition 4 lyfe :p

tskiller said:
I didnt like starcraft. Singleplayer was great but multiplayer was more of a resource war or rush race.
total annihilaition 4 lyfe :p

I don't think so, midgame starcraft can be really tricky, because you need to branch out fast but that can leave you really open elsewhere. I think what I love about SC is that each race shines at certain points: Zerg are best early on (quick rushes) and the latter-mid-game, while Terran are awesome in the early-mid-game (if you get siege tanks, marines and medics early on you're pretty much unstoppable), while if you let the Protoss get to the late game they're basically unbeatable, because of all their amazing technologies (arbiters, high templars, dark archons). When I play Protoss I will let 1 arbiter defend an entire base - they're all you need.

Yeah, SC is definitely not a resource/rush war. If you watch some of the "Professional" gamers in Korea play StarCraft, then you'll know that SC is one of the deepest RTS ever made.

Speaking of Korea and SC..I can't believe SC is so popular there, it basically a national pastime/sports there.

I loved Total Annilation but my all time favorite is still Starcraft. I spent countless hours playing and never got tired of it.

Total Annihilation is like, my favorite game in the history of games... or at least pretty close. And if it wasn't for Total Annihilation, I would have never learned how to spell Annihilation.

If you want to get your TA fix in 3D, check out the new TA Spring project. http://taspring.clan-sy.com/

screen87.jpg

screen84.jpg

screen68.jpg

screen75.jpg

hard to beleive that game was released when 2d games were still bogging down systems

and man, that first pic, with all the hawks, and pheonix bombers, my computer definetly would of crashed

Id have to say that starcraft is one of the best for the pure value of when it was released and how good it was. But overall I think that Ground Control 2 is the best RTS ever.

How well does that Spring Mod work online assuming you already know how to fix little problems like firewall/port routing/general connection errors?

How often does it crash on you? Maybe I should just start a new thread about it?

for me the warcraft series is unbeatable. the engine was great! I played wc2 for years (modem to modem then onto bnet) and wc3 was even better. It took me a long time to like wc3 since a lot of tactics got taken out like chokes and peon rushing.

I loved lot's of them....but I could find faults with all of them.

-Dune II, Dune 2000, and Emperor: Battle for Dune
-Stronghold by SSI
-Command and Conquer: Red Alert (but the bum tank rush is still tghe lamest game play move evar)
-Red Alert II (which introduced the blimp rush....hmmmm....I see a pattern)
-Total Annihilation

StarCraft for sure. Also, original C&C. Some of my best childhood memories are connected to those games.

-Command and Conquer: Red Alert (but the bum tank rush is still tghe lamest game play move evar)

-Red Alert II (which introduced the blimp rush....hmmmm....I see a pattern)

Rocket men works great against both those. lol, but only if you see it coming and have enough time. Those blimps were the strongest damn blimps ever made though. It took WAY too much damage before falling from the sky.

IMO...

1. Warcraft III/TFT - One of my favorite games of all time. Great variety in the maps and the modding community really pushed the game to a whole new level. Tons of support from Blizzard even years after the initial release. I spent tons of hours on this game (single and multiplayer) and I loved every minute of it.

2. Warhammer 40k: DoW and WA - This game has been sucking up my time just as much as WCIII did. I rank it right up there with my favorite games of all time. Between this and WCIII it's pretty much a tossup. I gave the edge to WCIII just because I've been playing it longer but I think I enjoy DoW more than I ever did WCIII.

3. Warcraft II - The game that made me really enjoy RTS. Another game that ate up a whole bunch of time.

4. Starcraft - Didn't get into it as much as I did WCII (Diablo II then WCIII got in the "way") but still a great game either way.

Back