Best router for DD-WRT or Tomato?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
I'm thinking of selling my D-Link DGL-4300 and getting something that gives me more customization, what's the best router for DD-WRT or Tomato?

Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 is a good choice, but it's hard to come by.

no i use these on all my clients when i need em. use to flash with dd-wrt when i was using more then 1 to bridge, now using tomato

85 shipped is a steal when you look on ebay these days.

Yea these work well with dd-wrt. Just make sure you reable the internal amp so you can take advantage of the high powered wireless on it.

At one point buffalo was going to release these suckers with ddwrt preloaded although they lawsuit they have against them right now seems to have helped stop that(finding any buffalo routers is getting harder to do)

no i use these on all my clients when i need em. use to flash with dd-wrt when i was using more then 1 to bridge, now using tomato

85 shipped is a steal when you look on ebay these days.

Are you still selling these units? I'd like to get my hands on one as my WRT54G v2.0 w/ DD-WRT is choking hard.

Are you still selling these units? I'd like to get my hands on one as my WRT54G v2.0 w/ DD-WRT is choking hard.

I just bought one from him a couple days ago.
$85 is great compared to eBay prices, just wish I could have got some when best buy clearanced them at $13.99 :eek:
You might PM him.

Running a WRT54GS v.1 here.
- DD-WRT v24 RC-4
- 50 mW transmit power with the high gain antennas
- 240MHz clock speed

So far it works awesome and I've been running it like that for about a year, maybe longer.

I'm thinking of selling my D-Link DGL-4300 and getting something that gives me more customization, what's the best router for DD-WRT or Tomato?
Why? Honestly, if you want 'more customization' and still want performance, I'd suggest you get a small form-factor box with a PIII processor around 700MHz-1GHz, 512MB of ram and an old hard drive and go with any one of the many linux/bsd distributions out there. The WRT54G platform does not stand up to the performance of the DGL-4300, customization or not.

I love the WHR-HP-54G's. It sucks that Buffalo is tied up in the lawsuit and cannot sell them right now. I have bought 6 or 7 of these for the company I work for. They are awesome routers!

Why? Honestly, if you want 'more customization' and still want performance, I'd suggest you get a small form-factor box with a PIII processor around 700MHz-1GHz, 512MB of ram and an old hard drive and go with any one of the many linux/bsd distributions out there. The WRT54G platform does not stand up to the performance of the DGL-4300, customization or not.
Too much trouble, too big, uses too much power.
I would hope the WRT54G platform can stand up to my strenuous network needs of playing xbox 360/ps3 and streaming xvid files ;)

Too much trouble, too big, uses too much power.
I would hope the WRT54G platform can stand up to my strenuous network needs of playing xbox 360/ps3 and streaming xvid files ;)

A wrt54g will be fine for that, it just blows at torrents, pretty much all home grade routers do. I ended up with a monowall box and just using my wrt54g as a wireless ap.

For torrenting, you just have to setup your router right. Limit your number of connection and connections per torrent in the application client. Then in the router settings, max out the number of connections your router can establish. Also use QoS or something similar to make your torrent uploading like 75% or so of your total upload speed. You'll still be able to game and everything else just like normal and you shouldn't even notice you're torrenting.

For torrenting, you just have to setup your router right. Limit your number of connection and connections per torrent in the application client. Then in the router settings, max out the number of connections your router can establish. Also use QoS or something similar to make your torrent uploading like 75% or so of your total upload speed. You'll still be able to game and everything else just like normal and you shouldn't even notice you're torrenting.
To much work (ok not much work :p)for to little gain, switching to a monowall setup was much better for me. If you have to use a router then I guess you need to do this work to get everything good to go. If you can use an old pc it works alot better.

Wow...talk about going 10 steps backwards. Unless you pickup one of the few newer generations routers that DD-WRT supports...like the Linksys WRT300n.

Too much trouble...
How so? Pop in the CD, follow a very simple routine and ta-da, do everything else from a web interface.
...too big...
Not if you snag the right form-factor box.
...uses too much power.
Debatable - but again, get the right form-factor box. I didn't say to use a beast as a router, get a small box with a very low utilization power supply. Or, if you're really concerned about it, replace the original PSU with a pico-psu from ebay.
You might be surprised. But to each his own. The WRT54G platform is old, slow and needs to die. Customized firmware like DD-WRT and Tomato have managed to breathe a little life into the platform but even those developers are moving away from it. I'd recommend you at least go to the websites of either distro and look at some of the higher end routers they support.

How so? Pop in the CD, follow a very simple routine and ta-da, do everything else from a web interface.

Not if you snag the right form-factor box.

Debatable - but again, get the right form-factor box. I didn't say to use a beast as a router, get a small box with a very low utilization power supply.

Agreed....if you want something potent....here's a chance to build your own router for home that'll blow the doors off of any "off the shelf" router that would cost under 5 thousand bucks.

You don't need to know linux at all. If you can poke around your home grade routers web admin..you can setup a *nix distro router. Most of them have an installation routine that holds your hand during the entire process. Once done...web admin just like your run of the mill Stinksys or DStink or Nutgear home router.

You're forgetting:
1) finding the parts for a machine
2) assembling machine
3) finding a linux version
4) learning how to use it since I've never used linux

and there's no way a full size computer is going to fit behind my TV where I keep my router

also forgot to mention, all that is too expensive

and what's the point? I already stated what I want to do, and a regular router should do all that just fine

You're forgetting:
1) finding the parts for a machine
2) assembling machine
3) finding a linux version
4) learning how to use it since I've never used linux

and there's no way a full size computer is going to fit behind my TV where I keep my router

also forgot to mention, all that is too expensive

and what's the point? I already stated what I want to do, and a regular router should do all that just fine
I didn't forget it at all - look at my original post as I stated buy a small-form factor machine with a PIII ,etc. :)

And I counter you with this: You can get a GX110 SFF or GX150 SFF (which are very small) for around $50 shipped from Ebay, or less if you get lucky. No assembly required. And as has been stated before - you don't have to learn linux/bsd and you don't need to "find" anything - go to http://smoothwall.org/, http://ipcop.org/, http://www.untangle.com/ or http://m0n0.ch/wall/ - there are ton of others out there but it's easy to "find" the most popular ones. And none of them require you to do anything from the command line, all of the administration is handled via a web interface.

And as for already stating what you want to do -- not in this thread as the only thing you said is that you want "something that gives me more customization."

You want customization - stay away from DD-WRT/Tomato and the WRT54G platform.

I didn't forget it at all - look at my original post as I stated buy a small-form factor machine with a PIII ,etc. :)

And I counter you with this: You can get a GX110 SFF or GX150 SFF (which are very small) for around $50 shipped from Ebay, or less if you get lucky. No assembly required. And as has been stated before - you don't have to learn linux/bsd and you don't need to "find" anything - go to http://smoothwall.org/, http://ipcop.org/, http://www.untangle.com/ or http://m0n0.ch/wall/ - there are ton of others out there but it's easy to "find" the most popular ones. And none of them require you to do anything from the command line, all of the administration is handled via a web interface.

And as for already stating what you want to do -- not in this thread as the only thing you said is that you want "something that gives me more customization."

You want customization - stay away from DD-WRT/Tomato and the WRT54G platform.
You make a good argument. I'll check into this more after my test today.
It does seem like it would be the best of both worlds - better performance than the DGL-4300 and more customization than DD-WRT or Tomatoe. Only thing I'm worried about is it's too complicated.

edit: so with a GX150, how would I get wireless function? or even places to plug stuff in - buy some NICs?

Only thing I'm worried about is it's too complicated.
No worries. Grab a cheap SFF box similar to the ones I mentioned off of ebay and start playing around. I'd suggest starting with IPCop or Untangle. IPCop has one of the largest communities out there so they have plenty of helpful people and mods available. Untangle has the benefit of a graphical installer and does more by default but also has higher system requirements than just about any linux/bsd based firewall out there.

Edit:

If you're looking at a GX150 or GX110, grab one that has the full-size PCI slots mounted on their side. Many of the auctions I saw up right now have pictures so this should be easy to verify. If you don't have any laying around, you could pick up an intel dual-port 10/100 nic for cheap. Like this.

Wireless is the only bleh part about going with a build-your-own type of scenario. It does however give you the flexibility to stuff your router somewhere out of the way and put your AP wherever it makes the most sense though. :) In other words, either using your existing router as purely and AP or getting a cheap WRT54G or Buffalo router, flashing it with DD-WRT and using that.

This is usually the point where I start arguing for the DIR-655 or something along those lines. IF wireless is a show-stopper and having a separate AP is not an option, a distro may not be best after all. But if you want flexibility and unrivaled customization, you can't beat it, even though you have to have a separate AP.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
No worries. Grab a cheap SFF box similar to the ones I mentioned off of ebay and start playing around. I'd suggest starting with IPCop or Untangle. IPCop has one of the largest communities out there so they have plenty of helpful people and mods available. Untangle has the benefit of a graphical installer and does more by default but also has higher system requirements than just about any linux/bsd based firewall out there.

*blahblahblahblahblah*

If you've ever passed this idea off to a non-geek they'd look at you like you're f**king crazy, because really you are.

I have a small space on my desk that holds my little WRT54G router. You expect someone to shoehorn a GX### SFF under/around their desk for the use of a stupid home router? You'd be laughed at and probably fired if you proposed something like that for an enterprise-level application. I've never been fond of these linux/bsd based firewalls as they will never replace the simplicity that exists with Linksys or <insert home brand here>. The consumer wants something ultra small, powerful, and easy to use.

I'll be PMing the person selling the Buffalo routers shortly :).

Sorry guys no more buffalo's to sell =(

We bought about 55 of these routers from Newegg through the buisness account right before the lawsuit and right before the prices rose.

I am down to 18 now and do not do not want to go back to using that Linksys, Netgear garbage. And those Dlink are way to much, 125 for a router? Clients rite now kinda don't like the price of the Buffalo considering we use to sell for 55. So I don't think I can push those $125 ones. May have to go back temporarily to Linksys flashed with Tomato, or maybe those Asus ones.

I dunno just hate changing up products, stupid fucking lawsuit. Buffalo had no idea when their would be any sales of new or current routers. Said it was out of the hands, the guy was laffing and telling me its all in the courts hand and we all know how long that takes.

So I dunno guys.

I bought a few of them off of him..

PM him if you want them, he's probably still got them..

read up you got pretty much the last batch hope you enjoy them =)

but yeah no more selling em cause like em to much for my clients.

Buffalo or Freedom9 UTM firewalls

If you've ever passed this idea off to a non-geek they'd look at you like you're f**king crazy, because really you are.

I have a small space on my desk that holds my little WRT54G router. You expect someone to shoehorn a GX### SFF under/around their desk for the use of a stupid home router? You'd be laughed at and probably fired if you proposed something like that for an enterprise-level application. I've never been fond of these linux/bsd based firewalls as they will never replace the simplicity that exists with Linksys or <insert home brand here>. The consumer wants something ultra small, powerful, and easy to use.

I'll be PMing the person selling the Buffalo routers shortly :).
Here's my monowall box. It's not very big, bigger than a wrt54g but not by much. You can make them alot smaller.

Here's a mini itx intel mobo. All you need is another nic ($5), hard drive ($10, doesn't need to be big) ram ($25) and a case with power supply ($40). That would make an extremely nice router box. You could go considerably cheaper if you have some of the parts, or do it for free if you have all of the parts.

Here's my monowall box. It's not very big, bigger than a wrt54g but not by much. You can make them alot smaller.

Here's a mini itx intel mobo. All you need is another nic ($5), hard drive ($10, doesn't need to be big) ram ($25) and a case with power supply ($40). That would make an extremely nice router box. You could go considerably cheaper if you have some of the parts, or do it for free if you have all of the parts.

Lol, I saw the first picture and immediately thought "that's not small at all"

i also agree with this selction. Excellent router. I actually am still running the stock firmware from a year ago. I should probably put tomato on it and give it a try. :D

Lol, I saw the first picture and immediately thought "that's not small at all"

that's what I thought too. It's way bigger than a Mac Mini.

BTW, what kind of "customisation" do you need? For streaming xvid and playing games, even the stock firmware for WRT54G or the DGL4300 will do fine. What are the features that your DGL4300 do not have that you need?

that's what I thought too. It's way bigger than a Mac Mini.

BTW, what kind of "customisation" do you need? For streaming xvid and playing games, even the stock firmware for WRT54G or the DGL4300 will do fine. What are the features that your DGL4300 do not have that you need?
only thing I really wanted was bandwidth monitoring

Personal attack that was completely uncalled for. This isn't yahoo chat, go back there if you can't be civil.

I have a small space on my desk that holds my little WRT54G router. You expect someone to shoehorn a GX### SFF under/around their desk for the use of a stupid home router?
Yea, I do. A lot of people do that and a lot of people keep their routers in closets, basements or some place out of the way. If you keep it right on your desk, good for you. Go with the underpowered and obsolete WRT54G and lock yourself into old hardware and freely available but still proprietary firmware. e.g. DD-WRT/Tomato. The OP asked for customization and there is simply no better solution for "customization" that a linux/bsd box. I recommended a couple of small form-factor boxes but he could have used anything he wanted. End of story.

You'd be laughed at and probably fired if you proposed something like that for an enterprise-level application.
Since when did this turn into an enterprise-level recommendation? The only thing you know about me is that I'm "Orinthical" on Hardforum. You think yourself capable of judging my capabilities based solely upon that? Please. I recommended a solution to a user looking for "customization." Again, you're fooling yourself if you think DD-WRT or Tomato is more customizable than any of the solutions I named.

I've never been fond of these linux/bsd based firewalls as they will never replace the simplicity that exists with Linksys or <insert home brand here>.
Obviously you haven't used any of the distributions I named in a long long time and have been jaded for a while. Linux/BSD firewall distributions have come a long way in virtually every aspect. The "hardest" part is purchasing or building a system to dedicate to it. If that is too hard for you, please feel free to buy all the Linksys products you desire but don't you dare question me again.

The consumer wants something ultra small, powerful, and easy to use.
Absolutely, the average consumer does want simplicity. They want plug-and-play for everything. But again, the OP wanted "customization" and you can't find that in 99% of the "consumer" products out there.

In the end - all I am saying is this - the platform the WRT54G and even the 54G products from Buffalo run on top of is deprecated and long since due to retire. It's kept alive by people like you who found a post somewhere saying the WRT54G was "da bomb" several years ago when it was. IF you have to spend any sum of money greater than $40 on a WRT54G that can run DD-WRT, please do yourself a favor at look at a DIR-655, DGL-4100/4300/4500 (depending on your needs) or even the newer Linksys and Netgear Rangemax products. There's a sticky with plenty of good routers and feedback in it at the top of Networking & Security.

As for the build-your-own approach, there is nothing out there in the consumer market that can beat them in raw performance and customization options. Period.

Oh and by the way -- as for enterprise solutions -- while I don't typically deal with enterprises small enough to use a m0n0wall or other build-your-own box, I wouldn't mind recommending it in certain situations for small business and what-not. Beats the snot out of any solution around the same relative price. Oh and with the right hardware, some of the distributions out there will even give "enterprise" firewall products a run for their money. Not every build-your-own box has to be on an older PIII and hey, some distrobutions even have fault-tolerance, load-balancing and other enterprise-class cluster options.

To the OP: I wish you the best. Even if you don't consider a build-your-own approach, I hope you take a look at the list of routers that support DD-WRT and go for one of the newer models. Or, look at some of the routers in the router recommendations thread for a purely-consumer approach. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. :)

End of Line.

dd-wrt all the way.

have been running v23 sp2 on a wrt54gl v1.1 for over a year, no problems. changed some settings for bit torrent, and bingo!

I moded my unit with heatsinks/fan , an sd card slot, and a jtag port

best router that i have ever owned

read up you got pretty much the last batch hope you enjoy them =)

but yeah no more selling em cause like em to much for my clients.

Buffalo or Freedom9 UTM firewalls

Oops...you posted that like 4min before me...No wonder I didn't see it!

Well, thank you again btw!

Turns out the only "customisation" the threadstarter wanted was bandwidth graphs. Not everyone needs a fullblown x86 router even if it's super powerful.

On another forum (not on hardocp) that I visit, if you buy a TN LCD panel instead of a Dell IPS/MVA one, you're an idiot and are losing out on a lot. Yes, the Dell is more powerful, but really...

Not everyone needs a fullblown x86 router even if it's super powerful.
Absolutely agree 100%. In-fact if you look back through the many threads in N&S that I've posted on, you'll find that I make the same arguments. I tend to make my recommendations on a case-by-case basis, end of story.

The OP originally posted wanting customization; there's simply no better way to achieve that than a build-your-own type scenario. You can make them into whatever you want and if you use a distro like IPCop with a good community behind it, there a ton of mods that you don't need to know anything special to install: just follow the instructions.

But I digress... no need to keep beating the dead horse.

If you want the freedom of choosing a consumer router but want some advanced monitoring features, you may want to take a look at WallWatcher (or Here) as it works with a ton of consumer routers. This way you can have your cake and eat it too. Grab the DIR-655 for performance and stability and use WallWatcher for your statistics/charts.

Here's another thread where logging capabilities and wallwatcher were brought up:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1252653

Cheers.

Back