Best router for big home?

ryanjg11

Gawd
I live in the basement of a three-story house, and unfortunately the primary router stays on the third floor office. We have been using a powerline network for the time being, and when it works, it works well, but it periodically loses connections -- I think it actually has to do with some IP address conflicts.

Either way, I'd like to replace the router with something newer, ideally a model that can reach the basement without a repeater. I have a few spare WRT54GLs with Tomato, but I know there are much faster and much better-range solutions out there now.

What would be my best option for about/around $200? I would prefer something that I can flash with Tomato or DD-WRT since I've used that in the past, but not a dealbreaker.

Reliability is really the most important aspect since I don't have easy access to the upstairs, except by request.

Thanks!

How far is it from the connecting point in the basement to the third floor office router? The router will not dictate the distance the runs can be, the connection method will.

If you are speaking of wireless connectivity, I would not recommend wireless for anything requiring reliability.

1) Apologize to your parents. Repairing the relationship will help you access the router as needed.
2) You should run a CAT5 cable from the router down to the basement and install an Access Point (UniFi, etc.)
3) If you do neither of above your chances of getting reliable connectivity in your basement is slim.

I'm going to vote for using an Edgerouter Lite in the 3rd floor office, paired with two Unifi's, one in the 3rd floor office and one in the basement. Running Cat5e / Cat6 down from the office to the basement should be a priority.

Try to keep everything that you possibly can on the wired network. If that means a few 8-port switches, so be it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You are going to have to run cat5 to the bottom floor. You may think it's impossible but it's not and it's the only way it will work without constant issues.

If you're having IP address conflicts, you need to solve that first.

Then run some cat 5e to the basement.

1) Apologize to your parents. Repairing the relationship will help you access the router as needed.

Repairing the relationship is so much more difficult than repairing the network, though. :)

Actually, I'm renting a basement suite and my "landlords" live above me. About once every two weeks, the powerline networks fail and the only way it seems to fix it is to go upstairs (to the router) and unplug the powerline adapter, then plug it back in. Solves the connection issue 100% of the time, immediately. I never have to reset their router.

I should also note that I have a WRT54GL in my own unit, essentially providing Wi-Fi to all my devices, however it's only acting as a switch and transmitting out through their primary router upstairs, again via a powerline adapter. Unplugging/replugging the adapter on my end usually doesn't solve the problem -- only the one upstairs.

I'm using the popular TP-LINK Nano powerline adapters. I'm not sure if this is a reliability issue with the adapters, or an issue with IP assignments at the primary router.

Any ideas?

You could always put the powerline network adaptor on a timer and have it basically powercycle every morning. Far from the most elegant solution, but it's really straightforward xD

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What would be my best option for about/around $200? I would prefer something that I can flash with Tomato or DD-WRT since I've used that in the past, but not a dealbreaker.

Asus stuff is good, and Shibby's Tomato is better than DD-WRT (who, by the way, are GPL violators and shouldn't be supported). Ran both on my AC-66U. Ran Tomato variants and DD-WRT on a WRT54G v4 in the past too. DD-WRT hasn't really improved noticeably since.

As for IP conflicts, track them down and fix them...

And, if possible, use MoCA and not powerline stuff. Runs over coax.

Back