Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

Anyone with Ben EW277HDR ? Would be a pretty good monitor only if it had vesa mount.
Overall.... - send help!!! I've returned ad27qd. In theory a perfect monitor but it maaaany had issues with displayport interface, no signal issues, hdr freezing and problems... and quite a lot of corner ips glow which I could not get used to over 20hours of metro exodus. The game is dark and left bottom 10cm of the screen was glowing...
I think I am ready for another VA monitor since ips is only good when its glossy in my opinion.
I am playing PS4 slim and PC as usual.
I planned to get ew277hdr and get rtx 2070 for saved money. I like playing on maxed details. Ray tracing is targeting 1080p 60 anyway :p But the thing does not have vesa mount!

Can someone confirm if all 144hz va panels are curved and have blotchy cloudy patches on black screen? Not sure about 60hz curved panels (do these also have fuzzy text and bloatchy clouds of white?), and 32" flat is too big for VA in my opinion. I imagine the cone effect to be too much at 32".

Hi, I'm about to bite AG352UCG6 (using aoc u3477 for past 3+ years with very little back-light bleed but so want to try 120Hz+g-sync). Last experience with low end MVA (think 6 years ago, supposedly "fast" MVA panel at that time, made by AUO) was very bad to say the least (ghosting I am totally fine with but smearing and I *think* gamma change of high resolution grey-to-black-to-grey texture transition(think skyrim/fallout modded with high resolution textures at dusk/dawn) were atrocious – something like ground textures/trees brightening a bit when you move and moon darkening when moving through dark grey sky and both going back to original gamma when you stop). Is that still a thing with AUO MVA panels and PC VA panels in general? I 100% do/did not have those atrocities in my samsung TV with samsung VA panel... Thanks.

Last edited:
Some "new " 27 ,2K VA Curved Dsisplay Reviews

Samsung C27JG50

Review 1
https://3dnews.ru/974553

"The Samsung C27JG50QQI monitor uses a matrix with a semi-matt protective surface - the crystal effect and the cross-hatching effect do not appear on it."

"According to the manufacturer, the display has Flicker-Free-backlighting, and our tests confirmed that this model uses backlighting without PWM (or its frequency is several kilohertz or even tens of kilohertz) over the entire range of screen brightness values. It pleases, especially against the background of the “hybrid” backlight system that is usual for many Samsung models, in the case of which it is used at low brightness values."

Static Contrast (x: 1) 2748
Max brightness
316.2 cd / m 2

"Minimum brightness of the white field in the default mode was about 11 cd / m 2 - the indicator is simply excellent."

Review 2

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/jg50m

Video: The Best Valued Monitor of 2018 BUT... (Samsung C27JG50 review)

MSI Optix MAG271CQR Review

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-optix-mag271cqr-144hz-curved-gaming-monitor,6213.html

Last edited:
Time to revive this thread. I'm trying to understand the better option between:
- iiyama X2474HS-B1/B2
- iiyama X2483HSU-B1/B3
- BenQ GW2470H

It seems that the iiyama X2483HSU-B1 has a really high contrast (5000), but it is really slow. I can't find any information about the B3, or the iiyama X2474HS-B1/B2.
I do not play any game, so I'm not interested in the best pixel response time.

It seems that the iiyama X2483HSU-B1 has a really high contrast (5000), but it is really slow.
Be aware that not all equipment measures black levels for VA monitors very accurately and that a checkerboard pattern should be used instead of sequential measurements of a black and a white screen. PRAD and ExpertReviews measured a 3000:1 contrast for the Iiyama X2483HSU-B1 for example. A VA panel with slow dark pixel response time can also give you colored smear of images and text when scrolling web sites like this one, but for movies (that brighten up dark scenes) it is no issue. I haven't had any of the 3, but the X2483HSU-B1 doesn't look half bad in reviews. It has several overdrive settings to tune the response time and some (crappy) speakers if you otherwise use headphones. Its successor offers 75Hz and DisplayPort.

Be aware that not all equipment measures black levels for VA monitors very accurately and that a checkerboard pattern should be used instead of sequential measurements of a black and a white screen. PRAD and ExpertReviews measured a 3000:1 contrast for the Iiyama X2483HSU-B1 for example. A VA panel with slow dark pixel response time can also give you colored smear of images and text when scrolling web sites like this one, but for movies (that brighten up dark scenes) it is no issue. I haven't had any of the 3, but the X2483HSU-B1 doesn't look half bad in reviews. It has several overdrive settings to tune the response time and some (crappy) speakers if you otherwise use headphones. Its successor offers 75Hz and DisplayPort.

Can you elaborate on this? Surely the decrease in contrast ratio when measuring a checkerboard pattern means that the monitor has worse ANSI contrast than full on-off contrast. That wouldn't be an indicator of the meter's fault, rather it would seem that the coating used on the screen diminishes ANSI contrast (though an ANSI contrast of 3000:1 is still awesome). Am I missing something here?

It's bits and pieces I found in reviews: "the manufacturer told us our calibration device isn't sensitive enough" - contrast was measured lower than expected, "we only have 2 digits after the decimal place"/"it might have been lucky rounding" - at 0.06 cd/m² measurements contrast calculations are affected by rounding (18%) and probably noise. You make a good point though. I've never thought of how the coating affects ANSI contrast and assumed some form of dynamic contrast/eco mode was the culprit when contrast measurements differ so much between reviewers using that vs sequential contrast. Makes sense now.

It's bits and pieces I found in reviews: "the manufacturer told us our calibration device isn't sensitive enough" - contrast was measured lower than expected, "we only have 2 digits after the decimal place"/"it might have been lucky rounding" - at 0.06 cd/m² measurements contrast calculations are affected by rounding (18%) and probably noise. You make a good point though. I've never thought of how the coating affects ANSI contrast and assumed some form of dynamic contrast/eco mode was the culprit when contrast measurements differ so much between reviewers using that vs sequential contrast. Makes sense now.

It's the exact reason CRT's have great on/off contrast but (comparatively) bad ANSI contrast. The glass of the tube reflects enough light to cause ANSI to plummet. No reason why an LCD monitor's coating isn't capable of the same thing. That's the thinking behind my post, anyways. :)

I have the C27HG70 here right now. A repaired unit made in September 2019 (date code "M9"), firmware 1023. I'm recalling all the stories of inverse ghosting, text inversion and dirty screen effect just now and didn't notice any of that here, though I didn't specifically check for dirty screen effect with scrolling a map or similar.
What was more apparent was the warm tint and locked brightness controls in the sRGB mode and a tendency of darker shades of red or orange to receive a purple tint.

I have the C27HG70 here right now. A repaired unit made in September 2019 (date code "M9"), firmware 1023. I'm recalling all the stories of inverse ghosting, text inversion and dirty screen effect just now and didn't notice any of that here, though I didn't specifically check for dirty screen effect with scrolling a map or similar.
What was more apparent was the warm tint and locked brightness controls in the sRGB mode and a tendency of darker shades of red or orange to receive a purple tint.

Darker shades of red and orange receiving purple tint... Do you mean in motion? My CFG73's sRGB mode allows me to adjust the picture. Strange that it locks yours. Are you trying to use the faster or fastest overdrive setting? If you use faster or fastest then it activates the backlight strobe mode, which locks the brightness.

You mean the old purple artifact issue? No that seems absent with this unit and firmware. What I meant was this picture: https://www.digitalmasters.com.au/Calibration_Print_sRGB.jpg (which I assume was carefully calibrated) showing shadows below the strings of the base and the red dress looking slightly off into purple territory. Anyways here are the measurements for the sRGB mode from 4k-monitor.ru and nl.hardware.info for reference:
e1497ef184d414be19ff5d4c100bf7c9.png
https://nl.hardware.info/monitoren.8/samsung-c27hg70.403192#testresultaten (scroll to "Standaardmodus kleurweergave")

Overshoot at 60 Hz has been fixed as well AFAICT, while the ASUS VG27AQ (165Hz, IPS) has it in spades unless you set the overdrive to 0.
Contrast sits right in between the best VA panels and a typical IPS I'd say. But more importantly it doesn't have yellow corners shining into the image, ruining shadow detail.

You are right, that adjusting the brightness in sRGB works. (I swear it didn't when I first tried.) I had some other setting that I could only apply by letting the OSD time out, so I'll blame it on the firmware :eek:). It also has issues on two NVIDIA Optimus notebooks with the HDMI port wired to the Intel GPU. In games it would switch to 30 Hz and TV range. This may be in part due to the NVIDIA drivers, but another display worked just fine.

I'm on the fence right now comparing with a 266€ s27h850qfu IPS, 75Hz FreeSync, which has dust under the coating, yellow corners and less contrast, but has no apparent firmware issues, a clear coating that makes uniform colors look less grainy and has overall better color accuracy (ΔE2000 1,50) except for red, which looks a tad rusty, as well as being able to display input from two sources on a split screen (might come handy for notebook+PC).

You mean the old purple artifact issue? No that seems absent with this unit and firmware. What I meant was this picture: https://www.digitalmasters.com.au/Calibration_Print_sRGB.jpg (which I assume was carefully calibrated) showing shadows below the strings of the base and the red dress looking slightly off into purple territory. Anyways here are the measurements for the sRGB mode from 4k-monitor.ru and nl.hardware.info for reference:
View attachment 228179
https://nl.hardware.info/monitoren.8/samsung-c27hg70.403192#testresultaten (scroll to "Standaardmodus kleurweergave")

Overshoot at 60 Hz has been fixed as well AFAICT, while the ASUS VG27AQ (165Hz, IPS) has it in spades unless you set the overdrive to 0.
Contrast sits right in between the best VA panels and a typical IPS I'd say. But more importantly it doesn't have yellow corners shining into the image, ruining shadow detail.

You are right, that adjusting the brightness in sRGB works. (I swear it didn't when I first tried.) I had some other setting that I could only apply by letting the OSD time out, so I'll blame it on the firmware :eek:). It also has issues on two NVIDIA Optimus notebooks with the HDMI port wired to the Intel GPU. In games it would switch to 30 Hz and TV range. This may be in part due to the NVIDIA drivers, but another display worked just fine.

I'm on the fence right now comparing with a 266€ s27h850qfu IPS, 75Hz FreeSync, which has dust under the coating, yellow corners and less contrast, but has no apparent firmware issues, a clear coating that makes uniform colors look less grainy and has overall better color accuracy (ΔE2000 1,50) except for red, which looks a tad rusty, as well as being able to display input from two sources on a split screen (might come handy for notebook+PC).

Thanks for clarifying. I thought you were talking about overshoot artifacts. If the overdrive settings are off, it leads to some bad discoloration of moving objects on VA monitors. My Samsung has none of that, and it looks like your monitor doesn't have that either, which is great news.

Some more testing with http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php revealed something to me. The C27HG70 can be set to 60Hz or 120Hz while the computer is set to 60Hz. When the monitor is set to 60Hz, the horrible overshoot is there, while at 120Hz it isn't. Apparently the firmware does internal frame doubling. I cannot test FreeSync here, but I expect the same kind of overshoot there. Since I'll play games at lowish FPS, that could look horrible. The black level test also finally reveals some purple smear, that I didn't notice in Alien: Isolation.

Hi guys and girls, i am looking for upgrade from my benq EW277HDR, i come to this :
Lenovo G32qc-10
and
Gigabyte G32QC

is there any serious reviews or real life experience with it ?

Last edited:
Well almost 8 years since I got my EW2740L I'm trying to use it as a gaming monitor, overclocked it to 75z and seems stable as far as I can tell and I am able to run games on adaptive vsync at 75fps feels good. Responsive enough for me so far for some Rainbow Six Siege and BF2042. Anyone else tried overclocking it? Interestingly the models after mine seem to have started coming 75hz from the factory.
Seeing if this can tide me over till OLED monitors percolate down and sidestep the other panel technologies, I am interested in gsync however...

Well almost 8 years since I got my EW2740L I'm trying to use it as a gaming monitor, overclocked it to 75z and seems stable as far as I can tell and I am able to run games on adaptive vsync at 75fps feels good. Responsive enough for me so far for some Rainbow Six Siege and BF2042. Anyone else tried overclocking it? Interestingly the models after mine seem to have started coming 75hz from the factory.
Seeing if this can tide me over till OLED monitors percolate down and sidestep the other panel technologies, I am interested in gsync however...
1080p monitors can often be overclocked to 77Hz and this 77Hz is because of 165MHz HDMI 1.0 - 1.2 limit. It might be possible to overclock monitor further with faster clock rate. This monitor states HDMI 1.4 support so it may go higher. At least if connected to graphics card HDMI output because any other connection like DVI (to HDMI) or DP to HDMI will be limited to 165MHz.

I would also look for ways to enable Freesync. Might not be possible but more likely not because monitor could not handle such signaling but GPU won't allow it. It is apparently possible to force Freesync... though if it can be done today with todays GPUs and drivers I am not sure. As can be imagined because all new monitors support FreeSync out of the box such hacking popularity will decrease over time.

Personally I would recommend getting new monitor. These VA panels weren't particularly good for gaming to begin with. Such monitor however would be very good as additional monitor for text with its low pixel density and good pixel structure and non-grainy anti-glare coating.

Back