Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

VA Monitor Reviews & Measurements

July 2017

Acer Z35P
https://4k-monitor.ru/reviews/obzor_acer_predator_z35pbmiphz/

AOC AG322QCX
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/aoc/1406080/aoc-ag322qcx-review-the-best-gaming-monitor-money-can-buy
http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/aoc-agon-ag322qcx-grosser-spieler-tft-mit-144-hertz,3317790.html

AOC AG352UCG
https://uk.hardware.info/product/388180/aoc-agon-ag352ucg/testresults

BenQ EW3270ZL
https://3dnews.ru/955056/page-2.html
http://playwares.com/dpreview/54722466

BenQ GW2760HL
http://playwares.com/dpreview/54589589

HP Z34c
https://uk.hardware.info/product/320623/hp-z34c/testresults

Philips 278E8Q
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.p...m-test-curved-display-mit-hohem-kontrast.html

Samsung C24FG70
http://www.ixbt.com/monitor/samsung-c24fg70fqi.shtml

Samsung C32HG70
https://3dnews.ru/955106/page-2.html
https://www.limscave.de/artikel?id=4XIDcBdA

Previous:
January-February
March
April
May-June

----------

Wow, what a disappointing season for new VA monitors in the mid-range bracket. I've kept postponing my purchase of a 27" FHD VA monitor for 6 months hoping for just the right product. Unfortunately, AUO don't appear to have done squat and Samsung, already ahead, appear to be simply coasting along. One of the monitors I had looked at, the C27F5xx series (e.g. C27F591), has literally just had a splash of paint applied. The C27H580 features what appears to be the exact same panel, same inputs, same everything... just the white and silver now changed to blue and black.

(...)

And this is why I'm NOT looking at "purchasing recommendations" as such. I'm more interested in hearing if there are any interesting VA panels in the pipeline (in the 27" FHD bracket), but as I noted with my post above, Samsung certainly don't seem to be busy in that regard, but as I noted in my initial post (this time around), I was wondering if any other manufacturers had any displays in the pipeline with the Samsung FHD panels.

Certainly, my interest in VA panels is motivated in part by my wish to buy one, but that's a (slightly) different matter.

Additionally, my post was an attempt to give a quick overview of the state Samsung's new monitors in the 27" VA segment (where only the HG70 seems promising, as far as I can tell).

Best to check Tftcentral's panel part db for what's in the pipeline, they often have more info than any other sites.
For example, AUO is doing an update for the 27'' FHD AMVA+ finally - a borderless, flat panel with >90% DCI-P3 gamut (M270HVN02.6). Standard refresh rate I assume. Mass production supposedly started in April.
No monitors announced yet as far as I know. Could be weeks, could be forever (indeed some panels end up never being used at all)

Links (they are constantly updated)
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/high_refresh_rate.htm

For high refresh rate there are AUO plans for a curved 27'' 2560 x 1440 @ 144Hz, but it seems to be in limbo for now.
Same specs as the 27'' Samsung CHG70 anyway. There's also a 1920 x 1080 curved VA panel (M270HVR01.0) with 165Hz refresh rate support. That one has a production date of July 2017.
(AUO also often make lower refresh versions of these panels)

Samsung VA monitors are all curved indeed. And they still haven't caught up to their TV panels yet (in terms of contrast, gamut and HDR functionality). Their TV lineup this year is also hardly better than last years, very lazy.
Worst of all, they appear to have returned to using PWM on their monitors again, on many of their 2017 models and not only those with VA panels:
e.g.
S25HG50 - 600Hz PWM (0-20% brightness)
S27H850 - 240Hz PWM (0-35% brightness)
C27H711 - 240Hz PWM (0-35% brightness)
C32HG70 - 360Hz PWM (0-95% brightness)

(source: 3dnews.ru)

So I concur, this is a rather disappointing season for VA. At least with the gaming models now there are many high refresh options and extended color gamut and everything is curved™. But contrast is closer to 2000:1 on many of these displays. In the basic monitor range very little has changed since 2013.

edit: btw. the Philips 278E8Q reviewed above appears to be quite similar to the F591 you were eyeing (with even wider gamut it seems). The newly released Asus VZ27VQ also has similar specifications (but standard gamut I think).

Last edited:
The Philips and Asus 27" models both have 1800 mm curvature and specs identical to the Samsung panel. Price-wise, the Asus is a bit more expensive, but assuming the build quality on that is the same as their other 278E8 panels, that would be money well spent. The Philips is priced exactly like the old Samsung (CF591), the Asus like the new one (CH580). As far as I could tell, both monitors at least have VESA mounts, so that's an advantage over the Samsung displays.

The German review you linked to does have the Philips listed as 6bit + FRC, which is at odds with what other sites have it listed as.

The Asus doesn't appear to have made it to this (European) side of the pond yet, although prices have surfaced so it should be right around the corner.

Yeah it's odd the Philips is listed as 6+frc. I'd assume its wrong info. I guess it is using the Samsung CELL with a custom backlight by TPV (WLED + enhanced phosphors).
The Asus is either same Samsung panel with standard backlight or even AUO panel, not sure. (may be they got early access to a M270HVR01.1 variant)
It's possible the CH580 also uses PWM. Since 4 out of the 4 2017 Samsung's tested on 3dnews used PWM, I'd be wary (unless you don't mind PWM)

edit:
In case you were wondering about InnoLux, they still manufacture their line of flat 28'' FHD MVA panels.
One of the better reviewed recent displays with such a panel is the iiyama X2888HS-B2 which was tested on prad (5000:1 and expanded gamut, rather cheap)

Last edited:
Quite a few of the Samsung models (including the F591 and the new H580) have "Samsung Active Crystal" listed as a feature. That's Samsung-speak for doped / enhanced phosphors, right? Which explains why the displays have ~ 120% sRGB coverage.

As for the InnoLux, they seem to be having a quiet year or two. They do have a single new VA panel this year, a flat 40" QHD model (M400KJJ-P06). I'm not sure if it's been featured in a display yet, but they did upgrade the signal interface to 4 channel LVDS (10 bit). This also appears to be their first "fast" VA panel (4-5ms typ) with more than FHD resolution, so it will be very interesting to see the reviews on those when they come out. The potential is there on paper, at least.

With AUO shifting signficantly towards curved VAs, flat Eathers will have to hope InnoLux delivers.

Quite a few of the Samsung models (including the F591 and the new H580) have "Samsung Active Crystal" listed as a feature. That's Samsung-speak for doped / enhanced phosphors, right? Which explains why the displays have ~ 120% sRGB coverage.

Yeah. These enhanced phosphor backlights usually have sRGB coverage (volume) in the 110-135% ballpark, depending on the display. There does not seem to be much difference to current QD backlights atm. In any case, both solutions are cost-effective implementations.

Interesting size/resolution combination from InnoLux, but 72ppi is rather painful. No known display using it as far as I can tell.
InnoLux panels are so unpredictable. Response varies wildly from panel to panel. There are some that are super slow (north of 50ms) during dark transitions, others appear to have no issues with those transitions at all (e.g. the 31.5'' 4k VA monitors)
The contrast ratio is sometimes above spec too. A 3000:1 panel being a 5000:1 in disguise, it's not an isolated occurence. One downside is they tend to use grainier matte coatings on some of their panels than other manufacturers.

I really wanted to like the CHG70 series but now after the initial reports I'm not sure if it's worth it. Seemed like my possible next monitor on paper.

Interesting size/resolution combination from InnoLux, but 72ppi is rather painful. No known display using it as far as I can tell.

The panel was scheduled to enter mass production Q2 of this year, so the lack of displays (yet) isn't surprising.

The pixel density isn't too much worse than a FHD 27", but I agree that it is a bit on the low side. It could fill a niche, though, for people who don't sit too close to their monitor and also use it for movies.

As for enhanced phosphors vs qdot, I think the better tech right now has to be qdot. If you look at the C27HG70, Samsung have managed to up the brightness 100 nits by switching to qdots (not necessarily the sole reason, of course). The better control of colors (narrower distributions around specific R, G, and B frequencies) allows a brighter back light while maintaining the light leakage. And I doubt even enhanced phosphors will allow the narrow spikes seen with qdot.

As for enhanced phosphors vs qdot, I think the better tech right now has to be qdot. If you look at the C27HG70, Samsung have managed to up the brightness 100 nits by switching to qdots (not necessarily the sole reason, of course). The better control of colors (narrower distributions around specific R, G, and B frequencies) allows a brighter back light while maintaining the light leakage. And I doubt even enhanced phosphors will allow the narrow spikes seen with qdot.

After looking at some graphs I agree the qdot backlight shows much narrower frequency distributions compared to WLED and also GB-LED in reds. The potential of the technology is even much higher definitely, but it does not appear fully used yet.
You rarely find graphs of the spectral distribution of monitors on review sites. There are some on ixbt.com, but the selection of samples is limited. I couldn't find any for WLED+phosphors with more than a slight sRGB overcoverage for example.
I wonder how a subjectively perceivable difference between qdot and enhanced phosphor backlights would express itself, even if they produce the same color gamut.

BenQ PD3200U - WLED + blue&yellow phosphors
spectrum.jpg
gamut.jpg

Samsung C24FG70 - Blue LED + Quantum dots
spectrum-user.jpg
gamut-user.jpg

BenQ PG2401PT - GB-LED
spectrum-03.jpg
gamut-03.jpg

BenQ SW2700PT - RB-LED + green phosphor (looks almost ideal)
spectrum-01.jpg
gamut-01.jpg

Last edited:
all of that seems quite impressive, but given VA gamma shift, any scientific color measures loses its appeal for professional work.
I am much more interested in how a monitor with a gamut wider than sRGB emulates sRGB.
The Fg70 emulates sRGB quite well, i would not be surprised if it surpasses the larger gamut PG2401PT and SW2700PT for SRGB content.

Last edited:
What's interesting is that both the CFG70 and CHG70 monitors in sRGB emulation don't produce a smooth triangle.
It's fine when just measuring the R,G,B primaries, but when measuring 100 points on the color space and then connecting the dots you get this shape:

So there's still some oversaturation (and very little undersaturation) in the sRGB emulation mode.
But like you said who uses these gaming displays in a professional capacity? For a lot of sRGB content, a mild oversaturation looks slightly better anyway subjectively.
I assume this is more accurate on the professional wide-gamut displays. Since they often come with hardware LUT etc. there's definitely more room for customization.

i locate reviews of the PG2401PT and the SW2700PT and a color review od the C24CFG70 .

the IPS panels have better Adobe RGP coverage, the Samsung VA better sRGB coverage. delta E was below 1.0 on the IPS panels and above 1.0 on the FG70. again, it is apple to oranges: the VA gamma changes horizontally, making any color accuracy results useless for professional users.

Interestingly, Samsung has target DCI-P3 on these monitor's gamut, but the HDR support is currently broken on the Hg70.

Thanks, that's a good and nicely detailed review there of the FG70, I added it to last months review list.

AdobeRGB is kinda irrelevant for HDR/Gaming/Movies. These will target the sRGB, DCI-P3 and ultimately Rec.2020 colorspaces.
What's also going to gain significance in the future due to HDR is not only the color gamut, but also the color volume.

The HDR performance of the CHG70 - in theory! - should be roughly on the level of the 2015 Samsung JS series Televisions after firmware updates. (around 90% DCI-P3, ~2500:1 contrast, simple 8-zone edge-dimming, 8bit+frc panel, around 500 nits peak)
It's pretty far off the standard but has the capabilities to produce a somewhat improved image.
If it's broken in practice, either Samsung messed up somehow or the reviewers didn't do proper enough testing (or both). Some games like Andromeda also appear to have broken HDR support on PC.
Will have to see about that, sucks to be an early adopter :p

Last edited:
That first 10 bit BenQ (PD3200U) perfectly illustrates why WLED + phosphors is a problem.

Look at all the area under the line that doesn't fall sharply around R, G, and B. That is a massive amount of light that the panel has to block. Not only is it incredibly inefficient, it also results in poor black levels, poor color reproduction of dark shades of ANY color, poor contrast, and reduced overall screen brightness. These aren't independent properties of course, but the point is that measurements like color space coverage severely underestimate how big the difference is when watching media (providing the media isn't compressed to hell).

There is no question that independent sources of R, G, and B, whether via qdots or multiple different colored LEDs, is the better solution. The quality of the light from quantum dot displays has a lot of room to improve and could in theory be just as good as using true independent R, G, and B without the associated issues and costs. Judging by those graphs above, there is still a ways to go, but we at least get close to the same performance at a lower (manufacturing) price.

Last edited:
Yes the contrast (black level in that case) is determined by how well the pixels can block the light coming through and VA are much better at that than IPS.
If the backlight used had such a big effect, then we would see difference in contrast ratios depending on the backlight in place but this is not the case. Basic WLED backlights like on the FG2421 which has a really crappy SPD and sRGB coverage in the 80's produces almost twice the static contrast of current quantum dot Samsung monitors. You actually often see lower contrast ratios on the professional displays, especially when uniformity compensation is enabled, which often drops the contrast ratio to 600:1-800:1 levels.
Even the LG WRGB OLED have a very similar spectral distribution as WLED panels
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/image/uhdtv/Panasonic-TX55EZ952B/spd.jpg
And still they manage almost complete DCI-P3 coverage and ~800cd/m² peak brightness.
With emissive quantum dots (i.e. no backlight) it should be possible in theory to create 10.000cd/m² panels with infinite contrast and full Rec.2020 coverage so it must only be at those extremes where the difference starts to become more apparent.

Last edited:
No concrete info or any reviews on either (yet). The Samsung I guess using a new in-house SVA panel that's not listed anywhere.
The LG not sure. Specs are similar to the Innolux panel used in the AOC/Philips 4k VA monitors.
A difference is that in the LG spec sheet it says 95% DCI-P3 and 8bit+AFRC, the panel in the AOC/Philips is 95% NTSC and (supposedly) true 10-bit (btw. it doesn't really matters nowadays whether true 10bit or not).
Might be a typo though, happens often enough.

No concrete info or any reviews on either (yet). The Samsung I guess using a new in-house SVA panel that's not listed anywhere.
The LG not sure. Specs are similar to the Innolux panel used in the AOC/Philips 4k VA monitors.
A difference is that in the LG spec sheet it says 95% DCI-P3 and 8bit+AFRC, the panel in the AOC/Philips is 95% NTSC and (supposedly) true 10-bit (btw. it doesn't really matters nowadays whether true 10bit or not).
Might be a typo though, happens often enough.

Interesting didin't think to look at innolux stuff on pane. But it looks like it says Mass production in 2015, would they really use one from then? I hate VA Panels from back then (Yes even 2015 VA sux for moving images)

It's not uncommon that some new monitors use older panels. There are some panels from like 2011 that are still in production.
Also possible there is a newer version of it that is not listed on panelook. (panelook is not complete)
Check reviews on the AOC and Philips I listed. Pcmonitors tested the AOC it has no issue with dark transition pixel response but it is generally a bit sluggish across all transitions. 3dnews tested the Philips and said the pixel response is above average for VA. It also has lower input lag than the AOC, according to hardware.info.
If you want the maximum clarity for moving images you need to get a monitor with backlight strobing e.g. C32HG70.
Here this user got the Samsung U32H850, noticed some anti-glare grain. Reviewers noticed the same with the Innolux (INX) panel so not so sure anymore that it's using a Samsung panel. Maybe it is INX CELL with custom quantum dot backlight.

Last edited:
I wasn't really planning to get the C32HG70 quite yet, but I found it listed for $549CAD so I ordered one. I figured it was a pricing error but it shipped today so I will have a new monitor to play with soon. Should be a big upgrade over my Dell 2007wfp that I have been using for 10 years.

Last edited:
It's not uncommon that some new monitors use older panels. There are some panels from like 2011 that are still in production.
Also possible there is a newer version of it that is not listed on panelook. (panelook is not complete)
Check reviews on the AOC and Philips I listed. Pcmonitors tested the AOC it has no issue with dark transition pixel response but it is generally a bit sluggish across all transitions. 3dnews tested the Philips and said the pixel response is above average for VA. It also has lower input lag than the AOC, according to hardware.info.
If you want the maximum clarity for moving images you need to get a monitor with backlight strobing e.g. C32HG70.
Here this user got the Samsung U32H850, noticed some anti-glare grain. Reviewers noticed the same with the Innolux (INX) panel so not so sure anymore that it's using a Samsung panel. Maybe it is INX CELL with custom quantum dot backlight.

I looked at the Philips once before, this one right ? http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2017/test-philips-328p6vjeb-teil7.html

It looks like it has that annoying WBW transition time and also input lag on top. i'm not looking for a 1 or 4ms gaming but this is annoying that high, more then 1 frame.

Oh I now see that other site you are mention, https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/72...is-rising-gaming-response-time-and-input-lagn

mehhhhhhhhhhhhh. That's why I hoped that the Samsung or LG would be different.

I've RMA my xb2483hsu-b2 and I've got new one! (I posted on last page -there was vertical stuck line and a little bug inside)

Shame it's trash/y... It uniformity sucks, corners are brighter and whole screen is just yellow at default.. 6500k setting fixes it to some degree.
And I've got a small dust speck on this one too... Somewhere behind the front panel.

I think I am done with iiyama despite my initial praise at the beginning of 2016. I know I will never get benq again too (terrible ghosting)... so amva is pretty much out of the question because no one is doing overdrive as good as iiyama for amva.

I also never want ips again sice they are crap... how are those 120/144hz tn screens?... is TN any better since when I had my terrible (then fantastic) samsung 226bw ?

Monitor market seriously sucks... since crt days are gone I've never had a screen without defect and with full golden triangle... Monitor can only have one of 3 : Good contrast, Good response times/no blur or good viewing angles.
No screen have good viewing angles. Especially with lowered brightness at night. It's all mostly trash. I am so disapointed that oled is not getting anywhere.... not for asking money.

But with AMVA, I am not sure anymore if good contrast is worth the ghostin, gamma shift, bad uniformity and so on...

Last edited:
I'm the person who bought the U32H850 (specifically the LU32H850UMUXEN), here are the things i've noticed with it:
When viewing a gray background you can see vertical streaks which have a greenish tone.
The antiglare filter has been applied very unevenly, some places have more grain, causing DSE.
Bottom center half of the screen I notice interlacing patterns on colors.
The default settings are very very yellow. I had to set the saturation settings to 50 50 75 (rgb) and color temp to 7500k to actually get proper whites. Oh btw there doesn't seem to be a color temp settings for the monitor, also atleast with displayport I can't adjust response time settings, it's greyed out. UFO test shows average pixel responce.
Pros:
it has zero bleed

As owner of XB2483HSU B2
Got my hands on Xrite X1 Display pro

Would like to share calibrated icc profiles.
panel number of my screen is:
AUO M238HVN01 0
firmware:
V0.02 2015-11-16

First thing first - results of factory settings, monitor set to 100 nit -(brightness 38)
vaNoJ1O.jpg

detailed report:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2lruwe3nv9im0v1/iiyama_nightime_report_100nit_-_factory.html

example of calibration for 80 nits(brightness 27)
WmFVI4u.jpg

Have done few calibrations, for 160 nit for 100 nit and for 80 nit - The contrast ratio was around 3400 with every scenario

detailed reports for each calibration:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/vh6jh70t9ekkvri/iiyama_nightime_report_100.html
http://www.mediafire.com/file/cx4phcc38q210m8/iiyama_nigtime_report_80.html
http://www.mediafire.com/file/udcb23avdx7vx9g/iiyama_nightime_report_160.html

additional measurment for the 80 calibration with red color set to 95 as with stock calibration there is still some yellowish tint, at least comparing side by side to ips screen - LG 24mp88hv

http://www.mediafire.com/file/imd3mtpcdogacxl/iiyama_nigtime_report_80_-_red_95.html

ICC profiles (make factory reset and set brightness and green value, everything else stock values)

80 nit profile:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/h5j4vfb90z3yr7r/X2483_2481_nightime(80)_brigtness_27_green_95.icm
100 nit profile:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wl7ed9liz87xdse/X2483_2481_nightime(100)_brightness_38_green_95.icm
160 nit profile:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/i5r2cksofy84trr/X2483_2481_nightime(160)_brigtness_69_green_93.icm

Comparing side by side with calibrated LG 24mp88hv the calibrated iiyama still got some gentle yellowish tint - lower the red values to 93-96. Once I find time will post side by side nightime fotos with diifrent settings and comparision to LG.

As for Gamma shift/ Black crush of this monitor- night time usage is much more pleasant, still not perfect but nowhere near as bad as daytime.

100 nit compare against Lg- alien isolation menu, VA is always the winner here ;)
syS1UzNh.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: igluk
like this
I've RMA my xb2483hsu-b2 and I've got new one! (I posted on last page -there was vertical stuck line and a little bug inside)

Shame it's trash/y... It uniformity sucks, corners are brighter and whole screen is just yellow at default.. 6500k setting fixes it to some degree.
And I've got a small dust speck on this one too... Somewhere behind the front panel.

I think I am done with iiyama despite my initial praise at the beginning of 2016. I know I will never get benq again too (terrible ghosting)... so amva is pretty much out of the question because no one is doing overdrive as good as iiyama for amva.

I also never want ips again sice they are crap... how are those 120/144hz tn screens?... is TN any better since when I had my terrible (then fantastic) samsung 226bw ?

Monitor market seriously sucks... since crt days are gone I've never had a screen without defect and with full golden triangle... Monitor can only have one of 3 : Good contrast, Good response times/no blur or good viewing angles.
No screen have good viewing angles. Especially with lowered brightness at night. It's all mostly trash. I am so disapointed that oled is not getting anywhere.... not for asking money.

But with AMVA, I am not sure anymore if good contrast is worth the ghostin, gamma shift, bad uniformity and so on...

Have the same with Black crush on XB2483HSU - especially daytime usage - as the screen coating has some haze to it and reflect much more than LG 24mp88 for example which is pure Matt coating. And do very much like how the VA display colors and text - IPS feels more aggresive and the same time very gently more vivid. Than again welcome to to the SILVERING(ips glow) world.
True Lose-Lose situation ;)

Have you tried any IPS with glossy-semi glossy finish ?

Still love the blacks on VA panel, do not really care for contrast to be honest. As for responsiveness - I dont have problems with BF1 or similiar, but dark scenes games do suffer. Overclocking to 75hz gives nice fluidity feel.

Also would like to see some modern generation of TN panels - I do think of testing LG 24gm77 or newest one 24gm79(freesync) - both 144mhz, wodering how the blacks looks like on those ?

Last edited:
As I was searching the VA monitor reviews, couldn't find the Flat 24 inched Full HD ones....
The only one I see is the Samsung 24FG70 which is curved . All other flat ones are 27 inches but this is to much for 1920x1080 resolution.

Does Anyone can share opinion on 24FG70 ? Does the 1ms with 144hz even without Overdrive is more fluid than the current VA 60hz ?

As I was searching the VA monitor reviews, couldn't find the Flat 24 inched Full HD ones....
The only one I see is the Samsung 24FG70 which is curved . All other flat ones are 27 inches but this is to much for 1920x1080 resolution.

Does Anyone can share opinion on 24FG70 ? Does the 1ms with 144hz even without Overdrive is more fluid than the current VA 60hz ?

1ms VA panel is not how it works. The panel is not 1ms, but Samsung uses strobing with this monitor, and since Eizo stated 1ms for the FG2401 (which was the first monitor with proprietary strobing) there was precedence for putting 1ms as the response time.

Not that a G2G response time number means anything anyway. What matters is that the 144hz Samsung VA panels are notably faster than regular VAs for dark transitions

Not that a G2G response time number means anything anyway. What matters is that the 144hz Samsung VA panels are notably faster than regular VAs for dark transitions

But don't they have that weird purple overshoot thing?

My CHG70 deal fell through, so I ended up getting the 24" CFG70 since I wanted to see what Freesync 144hz and Quantum Dot tech was all about and 1080p is about all my RX480 can handle at high refresh rates. First impressions are pretty good, although I haven't tested out CS:GO yet to see if it has the purple issue.

Have the same with Black crush on XB2483HSU - especially daytime usage - as the screen coating has some haze to it and reflect much more than LG 24mp88 for example which is pure Matt coating. And do very much like how the VA display colors and text - IPS feels more aggresive and the same time very gently more vivid. Than again welcome to to the SILVERING(ips glow) world.
True Lose-Lose situation ;)

Have you tried any IPS with glossy-semi glossy finish ?

Still love the blacks on VA panel, do not really care for contrast to be honest. As for responsiveness - I dont have problems with BF1 or similiar, but dark scenes games do suffer. Overclocking to 75hz gives nice fluidity feel.

Also would like to see some modern generation of TN panels - I do think of testing LG 24gm77 or newest one 24gm79(freesync) - both 144mhz, wodering how the blacks looks like on those ?
I have not tried either IPS with glossy finish or nowadays TN panels...
I am so frustrated at pc monitors. I like my VA contrast but it suffers from motion blur, some crush, gamma shift and so on.
Why cannot anyone make normal 1080p 24 inch monitor with some oled panel or something. All good monitors are 4k 144hz which is stupid to me. I just want a normal 60hz screen with no major drawbacks ehhhh

Any g sync VA monitors? No matter if 60/144hz or 1080p/2k... I just think I want g-sync VA. Since Ips is something that I think is very overrated (I would even take TN over ips, because of ips glow/silvering in dark room).
Not that I am dissatisfied with my iiyama xb2483hsu-b2 but I would like something new. I've eyed Dell S2417DG and S2716DG but both are Tn panels and even though they have great reviews, I am not sure if I can ever use anything with less than 3000:1 contrast

Thanks. I am still going through that list but seem that most (I am talking about 16:9) VA monitors are 1080p, 27inch (so low DPI but I never seen this in person so who knows. It can't be too bad).
Aall I've looked up so far are curved... Which I am not sure is good or bad. Maybe it would help with gamma shift?

Btw. IIyama is now selling display port version of 2483HSU. XB2483HSU-b2DP. It replaces hdmi with dp... for whatever reason.

Btw. Anyone tried XB2783HSU? It's 27 inch version of above?

edit: kuman
How to use your xb2483hsu-b2 profiles? I will try them on my screen! Also - Seems like You also look to get another monitor but it looks like we won't find anything better soon heh

edit2: Anyone knows why Eizo is no longer selling Foris FG2421? Was it the only ever 5000:1 screen? unfortunately I only recently discovered it and reviews for it are fantastic. Even found a topci here comparing it to Lenovo Y27G and lenovo sucks in comparison. Unfortunately Eizo is nowhere to be found

Last edited:
As mentioned in this thread I have the 27" Iiyama. It is solid monitor, overcloackable to 76Hz, and good balanced overdrive, no shitty SVA pixel matrix.

but I switched to 144hz TN in the meanwhile and cant go back to 60hz anymore, my Iiyama is now my secondary monitor. yes viewing angles are bad, but I dont move my head that much and no shitty ips glow either. The worst thing is that the colors slightly bleach out at higher refresh rates.

Still no sign of an AUO VA 100Hz + non curved panel?

It also sucks to see OLED prices dropping more and more but you can't use them as a monitor.

Lots of good information in this thread, but I am in need of some decision making assistance. Need a monitor primarily for console gaming. I use an x34 for PC gaming and don't like the black bars on PS4. Been looking at the Samsung quantum dot monitors that have been mentioned here, and thinking about the 27 inch 1080p 144hz model or the 32 inch HDR model. Primarily will be playing Destiny 2 until the PC release so 1080p will suit my needs. Should I just stick with the 1080p, or would the newer models upscale to 1440p and look better than native resolution? Or should I be shopping a different model entirely?

As mentioned in this thread I have the 27" Iiyama. It is solid monitor, overcloackable to 76Hz, and good balanced overdrive, no shitty SVA pixel matrix.

but I switched to 144hz TN in the meanwhile and cant go back to 60hz anymore, my Iiyama is now my secondary monitor. yes viewing angles are bad, but I dont move my head that much and no shitty ips glow either. The worst thing is that the colors slightly bleach out at higher refresh rates.

Still no sign of an AUO VA 100Hz + non curved panel?

It also sucks to see OLED prices dropping more and more but you can't use them as a monitor.
What monitor did You bought? isn't the TN contrast jarring ?

btw: Anyone tried acer predator z301c ?
It's curved 21:9 200hz(overclockable to) g sync AMVA screen.... Someone planted this in my brain and it seems more appealing the more I look at it and I always thought curved 21:9 is bullshit but this seems rather nice.
Anyone have this or tested it? Are there more 21:9 AMVA screens?

Last edited:
Viewsonic XG2401, contrast is the usual 1000:1, sure VA is better, but 144hz is a bigger upgrade for me than 3x contrast now. And i am not buying that buggy CFG70, nor the overpriced CHG70 which also seems to have PWM dimming, not to mention that these are also curved. I am still waiting for the perfect monitor which is 27" 1440p VA 144hz non curved, but it seems I might be able to buy a cheap OLED before this even happens.

Back