Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

Any topics like this for the best 144hz+ monitors? Since the Lenovo Y27 seems to be disappointing I may as well just get a TN.

I'm looking at a BenQ XL2430T, well technically the BenQ Zowie XL2430 refresh. It's the same thing.
In a perfect world I'd have:
- 144hz or higher
- High contrast
- No insane ghosting, overshoot, or blur
- Decently accurate colors, close to 2.2 gamma
- True 8bit panel

Apparently that's impossible. The Lenovo Y27 should be the closest thing, but it still blurs as bad as any VA, no idea if it has overshoot or good gamma. It also sucks that it's 1920x1080 on a 27", 24" is preferred.
Then 99% of IPS and TN are 6bit + FRC and 100% of them have bad contrast, but they don't blur like crazy.

I want to upgrade so bad but everything is a sidegrade or a downgrade.
Then there's all the quality control issues such as bleeding and clouding and dead pixels oh the fun never ends.

At the end of the day I'm looking for 144hz 1920x1080 around 24"~ and I want things to look good and clear in motion.
BenQ XL2430T is about the most used thing by CSGO professionals so it's probably pretty close to the best?
The one review from Toms Hardware showed when setup it can get near perfect 2.2 gamma at least.

I'd risk the Lenovo Y27 but I'm not looking for anything VA unless it's an improvement in the whole turning everything into an ink smear during motion area.
Why does everything have to be garbage? I just want something to be happy with, something not washed out or terrible during any motion.

I could maybe get used to the low contrast again, I can't get used to something looking like garbage every time it moves because it's not constant.
I know about the Asus MG248Q but it has like 1.8 gamma, and the new 180hz PG248Q has about 500:1 contrast at 180hz so.... yea nope.
Maybe Asus' new native 240hz PG258Q will be perfect and amazing but I doubt it and I'm not waiting for a $800+ probable disappointment.

I know the LG 24GM77 was supposed to be one of the best 144hz monitors but it's impossible to buy now.
I'll be getting the BenQ Zowie XL2430 on Monday if I can't find anything better which so far besides maybe the LG I can't.

I've not found it mentioned in this thread, but is there a recommended AMVA PLP setup? Or is 21:9 and 4k resolution w/ window mode "the thing" now?
Also, I wanted to build around 1440p center panel, but I can only seem to find the benq BL3200PT or a Crossover 32(letter of the day here).

F*** it. I'm getting the C24FG70 in October.
The last 120hz+ 24~ VA was the Eizo Foris FG2421. It took years, this is the best we'll get for a while unless Samsung keeps releasing new ones.

We hoped the Lenovo Y27 would deliver but 1920x1080 on 27" was always disappointing, and it's Lenovo. I didn't even know they were involved with monitors prior.
Samsung is a company I actually have some faith in regarding build quality and QA, their products in all areas are usually pretty top tier.

There are literally 0 1920x1080 120hz+ IPS displays. So it has to be TN or VA.
I'm not looking to drive IPS 2560x1440 at 144hz, that requires a ridiculous amount of power for most AAA games.

24"~ and 1920x1080 are the lowest I'd go in both areas, and I don't consider anything bigger or higher res an improvement for my needs.
More res = less fps = not the point of 120hz+
Bigger screen for 1920x1080 = less pixel density, but obviously I don't want like a 12" screen. Smaller is better to an extent.

The C24FG70's sound reacting LED is stupid, no VESA mount is dumb, and won't the wide gamut make everything unrealistically colorful?
It's also overpriced, but whatever.

Point is there's no other VA around this size and res at 144hz or higher.
There also probably won't be another for a while, and if there is it will be from Samsung anyway, and I doubt they're going to release something way superior shortly after.
AUO could surprise but doubtful with how they've been progressing with VA the past few years, and that's basically the two VA makers.

It's been years since Samsung has made a high hz monitor, and here they are, making their own panels and putting them in their own monitors with their name on it.
They have 100% control and are pretty competent with most things so hopefully it's perfection but I'm expecting the bare minimum.

I'll slow down with my posting and come back when I have it. If news of anything that's a direct competitor or reviews surface I'll post them here if they haven't been already.
At this rate it will be another 3 years for a 24"~ 1920x1080 144hz+ VA so my lack of patience is making this decision for me.
Unless some serious advancements are made fast with VA after I get this monitor, I'll be sticking with it until OLED goes mainstream, which seems more likely at this rate.

Cya in October

The C24FG70 is interesting but has no vesa mount,is curved, has that weird led stuff that lightes with sound, and will be priced at 450€.
I can tolerate everything except the price, i hoped for a 300-350€ max.

The C24FG70 is interesting but has no vesa mount,is curved, has that weird led stuff that lightes with sound, and will be priced at 450€.
I agree all those things are bad, except for the curve which might not be too bad.
The gimmicky LED thing is so stupid but can be disabled or at least covered with tape or something.
They really should have a vesa mount if they're wanting to be taken seriously.

As long as the viewing experience is good I don't care.
I'd like not to spend hours every day looking at something I hate.

for those who own a iiyama XB2483HSU-B2 ( or B1 ) I want to know if it's normal to feel a pressure difference on the right plastic edge when I press it with my finger ? :

bordure.jpg

it seems that the assembly of the plastic shell around the screen is not perfect, I can feel a difference if I press the plastic edge with my finger,

on the left edge it's Ok, no weak deformation if I press it,

but on the right the black plastic edge deforms under the pressure of my finger, and I can see that the screen is not pressed 100% against the plastic edge, there is one millimeter opening between the screen and the right black plastic edge :

bordure2.jpg

is it normal all these differences between left and right side for the plastic edges ?

the quality of the assembly is not perfect

Has anyone read anything about the new HP Omen 32? It's a 32" 1440P VA panel with a 75Hz refresh rate and FreeSync. They list a response time of 5ms, and it seems geared towards gaming, just not sure how it will actually perform. I would hope they have the same semi-glossy finish as the XW series but I can't find information on it.

It seems like the C24FG70's stand can be detached to reveal a 75mm VESA.

It seems like the C24FG70's stand can be detached to reveal a 75mm VESA.
Source?
This is great if true, means they aren't completely out of touch with what people want.

I can't find anything on Google when I search this monitor and VESA besides it doesn't look like it has it. :/

Last edited:
This page is literally the first result for Google "C24FG70 75mm" so it doesn't seem like there's actually any information out there proving it has a 75mm VESA

Source?
This is great if true, means they aren't completely out of touch with what people want.

I can't find anything on Google when I search this monitor and VESA besides it doesn't look like it has it. :/

You're right there is no verifyable source. It's speculation more than anything else. I should have formulated better.

I was parroting the comment section on this page:

Samsung C24FG70: Curved VA 144Hz FreeSync Gaming Monitor

Hey guys,
the HP Omen 32-inch QHD Display is finally available on amazon.com and on HP store.

Someone should give it a try.
Unfortunatly I can't at the moment because is not available here in Europe.

What IPS monitor has the highest static contrast or proven contrast in tests. I figure if I can find an IPS monitor with a legit 1400:1 ratio or higher than I can be satisfied.

Theres an LG with around 1400 in tests but it only had 180 max cd/m2 so thats way to low for me.

So
1400:1 or higher
250 cd/m2 minimum brightness

Any help is much appreciated.

What IPS monitor has the highest static contrast or proven contrast in tests. I figure if I can find an IPS monitor with a legit 1400:1 ratio or higher than I can be satisfied.

Theres an LG with around 1400 in tests but it only had 180 max cd/m2 so thats way to low for me.

So
1400:1 or higher
250 cd/m2 minimum brightness

Any help is much appreciated.

The HP 25xw that NCX tested scored 1494:1 @ 254cd/m². He didn't get to measure on the newer 25er/25es yet.

HP 27CW, HP 25XW & 27XW Review: Almost-Glossy Overclock-able 1080p LG AH-IPS
HP 25er & 25es Review: Almost-Glossy 1080p LG AH-IPS

Has anyone read anything about the new HP Omen 32? It's a 32" 1440P VA panel with a 75Hz refresh rate and FreeSync. They list a response time of 5ms, and it seems geared towards gaming, just not sure how it will actually perform. I would hope they have the same semi-glossy finish as the XW series but I can't find information on it.

Hey guys,
the HP Omen 32-inch QHD Display is finally available on amazon.com and on HP store.

Someone should give it a try.
Unfortunatly I can't at the moment because is not available here in Europe.

It seems the three of us are on the same boat. I'm too interested in the Omen 32. For USA people there seems to be a good offer on slickdeals:

32" OMEN by HP 2560x1440 75Hz QHD LED FreeSync Monitor $343 + Free Shipping 08-28-2016

If this were Europe I'd give it a shot (if it had VESA mounts) just for the heck of it.

Cmon, somebody get one and be the guinea pig.

The Omen is using the same M320DVN01.0 panel, like the other 32'' VA panels. So it will probably perform similar.
Just this time it's coming with 75hz (like the PB328Q) and FreeSync and at an excellent price, really.
All monitors with that panel were matte so far, including the other HP Envy&Pavillion models.

for those who own a iiyama XB2483HSU-B2 ( or B1 ) I want to know if it's normal to feel a pressure difference on the right plastic edge when I press it with my finger ? :

On the B1, the bezel looks a bit different (it is missing the inner indentation). All 4 sides deform slightly when putting pressure on it, and it's possible to get below all 4 with the fingernails.
I believe that's quite common with monitors and iiyama is not exactly known for their high quality assembly. They use the same standard charcoal grey matte bezels on most of their displays. Also it's good if there is not too much pressure on the panel.

Last edited:
Are you 100% sure? Where does the information come from?

It's the only panel like that that is being produced. There still hasn't been a newer or different version as far as I know.
Except one..
M320DVN01.0 with matte coating, and M320DVN01.1 with full glossy coating.
So far, no one has used the 1.1 panel though and on the Amazon page it says the Omen 32 is Antiglare.

Awesome, thanks.

Are there any other IPS monitors around similar contrast levels?
I either need it to have a 320 cd/m2+ for my ps4 gaming
or I need a 1440p for my computer gaming.

Possibly. Though I don't remember seeing any other IPS score over 1300:1 recently.
Glossy coatings can improve the perceived black levels by a lot.
Other than hardware.info, review sites don't make charts so you would have to dig through hundreds of reviews and check out the results.
Here are some of the charts, they also do brightness measurements. They used two different instruments to measure before 2016 and often got slightly different results.

Charts
Charts
Charts

Some examples
Asus BE249QLB - 1257:1, 314cd/m² 1080p IPS
Philips 258B6QJEB - 1220:1, 395cd/m² 1440p IPS
iiyama GE2788HS-B1 - 1433:1 X-rite, 1564:1 Microvision, 328cd/m² 1080p TN

Possibly. Though I don't remember seeing any other IPS score over 1300:1 recently.
Glossy coatings can improve the perceived black levels by a lot.
Other than hardware.info, review sites don't make charts so you would have to dig through hundreds of reviews and check out the results.
Here are some of the charts, they also do brightness measurements. They used two different instruments to measure before 2016 and often got slightly different results.

Charts
Charts
Charts

Some examples
Asus BE249QLB - 1257:1, 314cd/m² 1080p IPS
Philips 258B6QJEB - 1220:1, 395cd/m² 1440p IPS
iiyama GE2788HS-B1 - 1433:1 X-rite, 1564:1 Microvision, 328cd/m² 1080p TN

thanks for the links. I was close to buying the
Iiyama G-Master Black Hawk GE2788HS-B1
a few weeks ago, but I remembered hating the viewing angles of the benq 2430t tn monitor; since I sit few inches below the monitor at an angle looking slightly up at it.
Hard to tell if it will be that much better than the 2430t's viewing angles.

I remembered hating the viewing angles of the benq 2430t tn monitor; since I sit few inches below the monitor at an angle looking slightly up at it.
Hard to tell if it will be that much better than the 2430t's viewing angles.

It will be worse actually. The vertical viewing angles of TN are really bad and the bigger the screen, the worse it gets.
This one is 27'' so if you sit below the center then the entire top will be darker than the bottom.
I only listed it because it has such a high contrast for a TN.

If you want a 27'' 60-75Hz 1080p for PS4 gaming then you're best off with the 27'' glossy HP IPS (which should be available outside US) or one of the BenQ and Samsung VA monitors.

Last edited:
It will be worse actually. The vertical viewing angles of TN are really bad and the bigger the screen, the worse it gets.
This one is 27'' so if you sit below the center then the entire top will be darker than the bottom.
I only listed it because it has such a high contrast for a TN.

If you want a 27'' 60-75Hz 1080p for PS4 gaming then you're best off with the 27'' glossy HP IPS (which should be available outside US) or one of the BenQ and Samsung VA monitors.

did you mean i'm better off with the 25xw?
only thing stopping me from buying that for the ps4 is that its brightness is below 300 cd/m2; i'm a brightness contrast junky, with the pc monitor under 300 cd/m2 its fine since I do find 300 cd/m2+ too bright for desktop usage; but for a pc I want 1440p at least.

From my own experiences with many different monitors I can say for the ps4 my ideal brightness is 400cd/m2, but 350-380 cd/m2 is bright enough were im totally satisfied. I was almost 100% satisfied with the benq 2760hs but the smearing was too noticeable for me; when I would play on my IPS there would be no noticeable smearing at all.

So as of September 2016; what VA panel is the most responsive and has the least smearing???

Theres so many to choose from and most seem to be similar in smear-ness.

Thanks

I meant the HP 27xw that NCX tested, and maybe the 27es.
The iiyama 2783HSU should be one of the most well-overdriven VA panels. The BenQ 27'' EW have slight black trailing on dark backgrounds but otherwise should be good.
I can't really say about the Samsungs (and the HP s270c), some say they are better, some they are worse.
I don't believe any of those go much above 300cd/m².

I meant the HP 27xw that NCX tested, and maybe the 27es.
The iiyama 2783HSU should be one of the most well-overdriven VA panels. The BenQ 27'' EW have slight black trailing on dark backgrounds but otherwise should be good.
I can't really say about the Samsungs (and the HP s270c), some say they are better, some they are worse.
I don't believe any of those go much above 300cd/m².

whats your opinion on the
Eizo FG2421 and Hkc x3
how do they compare to the 2783hsu?

whats your opinion on the
Eizo FG2421 and Hkc x3
how do they compare to the 2783hsu?

They're very different, using the rare Sharp VA panels.

Better contrast, twice the refresh rate, semi-glossy coating.
Viewing angles and color accuracy/sRGB coverage are worse compared to Amva+.
The HKC has higher gamut coverage than the FG2421. FG2421 has strobing (turbo240), the HKC doesn't.
Both should really be calibrated for best results.

In terms of brightness, the FG2421 can get very bright, almost hitting 400cd/m². (all monitors with strobing need to be able to get very bright)
The HKC was tested with a Spyder on a Chinese site to have a significantly lower max. brightness of ~234cd/m²

Tftcentral also measured some slow (20-40ms) dark transition response times on the Eizo.
I don't know how it compares in practice in dark scenes with the other VA-type panels, you'd have to ask someone who used it.
But the higher refresh rate and turbo 240 will significantly improve motion clarity. Not sure how usable this would be with PS4 though.
The HKC might show some blueish overdrive artifacts in motion on certain edges. But overall feedback concerning motion has been very positive so far.
Good luck getting the FG2421 nowadays, maybe used. It is known for being a panel lottery.
The HKC you'd need to import from Asia/China, you've seen the thread.
I'm really curious how the upcoming Samsung C24FG591 will compare.

Last edited:
Hi all I have a bit of a noob question.

I picked up the X2783HSU with the intention of using it as a media monitor/for my consoles.

It's my first experience with a VA monitor and I'm just wondering, how black should the blacks be? I have an Acer X34 next door to it and I think the black is more consistent and probably better but not blowaway better. It's certainly not night and day.

I mean I'm happy with the black level I think, I just want to know if it's actually the correct level of darkness or if I should expect more.

Thanks.

At 100 brightness (~310 nits) the X2783HSU should show about the same 100% black field as the Acer X34 at 30 brightness (~110 nits).
Maybe a bit better or worse, depending on the panel lottery.
It should not be blowaway better but enough to notice especially in a dark room.

Hmm ok, I'll try it out tonight when it's dark outside.

I feel like there's some sort of glow in the bottom left of my 2783HSU but I don't know if that's just viewing angle stuff. I think I'm being too hard on the monitor, especially considering what it cost vs the X34.

Alright I tried to get some shots of my monitors next to each other in a dark room. Not an exact science but I used the same camera settings and I set my 2783 to 100 percent brightness and X34 to 30.

Does this look more or less right?

VA:

AhSSaQ9.jpg

IPS:

1lFOAzt.jpg

Does that look more or less right? I have to say the picture make the VA monitor looks worse than it is. The glow in the bottom left corner isn't nearly as noticeable as you see here.

Last edited:
Yeah I think that's about right, appears to have very similar blacks in the center.
The uniformity issues at the corners could be the gamma shift.
In normal dark room brightness conditions (<140cd/m²) it should be very weak, and same strength towards all sides. Similar to IPS glow but very subdued, and it disappears from a shorter distance.
If its not moving, or stronger in one corner then it may be a backlight issue. (backlight is along the bottom)
The 24'' I have, has no black uniformity problems, but it's still a bit of a lottery with VA panels.

Ok cool. I think I'm just overthinking it to be honest. I was reading the German review for the monitor for it and they say this:

In frontal view only a minimal whitening in the bottom left corner is visible

I think I have that too. The bottom left side is ever so slightly brighter than the other corners. Now Amazon will replace it free of charge but I'm really debating whether I should bother or if it's just something the monitor does.

I actually have the option to swap the the GW2760HS too, if I want.

EDIT:

Ok on looking at it further it seems I actually have a bit of a backlight problem in the lower left. Even on a blue screen it's noticeably brighter than the rest of the monitor. This is as best as I could capture:

BhskO9X.jpg

Last edited:
It's your call, if it is really that obvious you might have luck with a replacement. I don't know about the overdrive on the 2760HS, but the panel part should be the same.
You could try massage the bezel at the corner or loosen the pressure a bit, maybe that helps. Sometimes monitors also take a few days to settle and then the uniformity improves.

Here's my 24'' unit, at ~120cd/m² (no zoom)
Normal:
http://i.imgur.com/afBS3cG.jpg
Higher ISO, long exposure:
http://i.imgur.com/FlW1ehK.jpg

There is a bit coming from the bottom corners too but it's not noticeable to the naked eye unless staring at a black screen for a minute or so.

Last edited:
Alright cool thank you for all your help. I think what I'll do is live with it for a few days and see how it is, and see if it improves at all. I have plenty of time on the return so no issues there.

To be honest if it doesn't get any better I might just stop noticing it all together since I only spotted it while doing these black tests.

Again, thanks for the help.

Back