Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

Correct in regards to both the delay and pixel response times, assuming the Samsung's brightness is kept above 29% (very bright 170cdm/2) since it uses PWM from 0-29% (scroll down to see what PWM artifacts look like). The 32" VA monitors have vertical banding and flickering issues. I need to update the thread with sources describing both issues. The Crossover 32X2-P is the best but it likely has the same issues as the others.

Thanks for reply, the more time I spend looking for a new monitor the more it is looking like just getting a 24" 1080p... And having looked at 1080p on a 27" it does not look good! So the only option is a 24" 1080/1200p or the Dell U2515H if it has low input lag, 1000:1+ contrast and a low glow panel. What is a 27" 1440p like with no anti aliasing? I am thinking a 25" 1440p you could probably not use anti aliasing and it would still look good? Hard to know without buying as no computer stores in the UK stock any of these monitors.

Last edited:
Which is the best out of the Asus VN279QLB, Iiyama XB2783HSU-B1, BenQ EW2740L :

Glossiest coating / least matte (or are all 3 the same matte coating?)
Fastest response time
Best colors out of box
Best for gaming

Thanks

Both Prad.de and overclockers.ru tested all 3 of them..
They all have the same light coating that's between semi-glossy and satin-matte.
iiyama has best colors out of box and a good overdrive, its also the cheapest.
Asus apparently has bad QC and many VN279QLB make a feeping noise and some have flashlighting issues.

Last edited:
Both Prad.de and overclockers.ru tested all 3 of them..
They all have the same light coating that's between semi-glossy and satin-matte.
iiyama has best colors out of box and a good overdrive, its also the cheapest.
Asus apparently has bad QC and many VN279QLB make a feeping noise and some have flashlighting issues.

Ok thanks, its just that PRAD describes the liyama as "strong matte" and the Asus as "satin sheen" which is a bit confusing, is there anything that can be done to make these screens look at least reasonably good for text and general use? 1080p 27" will be ok for games, but my concern with it is that coming from a 20" 1680x1050 I won't be able to put up with it for general web browsing etc. due to the PPI, it looks like the liyama has more usable sharpness controls compared to the Asus as well? Is it possible to make text look alright with the sharpness controls etc?

No, they really have the same coating, and it also does not say the iiyama is strong matte, maybe the translator got something wrong.
http://www.prad.de/images/monitore/iiyama_xb2783hsu-b1/coating.jpg
http://www.prad.de/images/monitore/asus_vn279qlb/coating.jpg
http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2014/11/27/1/130_kristaleffect_big.jpg

I don't know about the sharpness...
But the iiyama has 6 sharpness settings, with the default at 3.
I have the 24'' its good on default. I find 2 too soft and 4 too sharp.

No, they really have the same coating, and it also does not say the iiyama is strong matte, maybe the translator got something wrong.

Thanks, is the 24" the same screen as the 27"? Maybe I would be better with a 24" as I would like 27" size but the PPI would probably be a bit low for text etc.

24 and 27 are very similar, both were tested on overclockers.ru.
24 has slightly higher contrast, 27 has 1% higher color gamut, identical overdrive, both should have same coating but 27 has bigger subpixels due to the ppi thats why in the photos it is marginally more "glossy" than the 24.
Its mostly down to personal preference, whether you prefer 1080p@27'' or 1080p@24''

Last edited:
Would anyone be able to post a picture of text on a 27" 1080p screen such as these MVA screens (or any 27" 1080p screen) A good quality high res pic if possible so I can see what text / icons are like? I went to my local PC shop and they only have 24" screens. Would be appreciated thanks.

24 and 27 are very similar, both were tested on overclockers.ru.
24 has slightly higher contrast, 27 has 1% higher color gamut, identical overdrive, both should have same coating but 27 has bigger subpixels due to the ppi thats why in the photos it is marginally more "glossy" than the 24.
Its mostly down to personal preference, whether you prefer 1080p@27'' or 1080p@24''

Is the liyama the only 24" AMVA+ panel? I cannot find any others so is this the best option? I have given up looking for a high end monitor and will probably get a 24" VA until something more exciting comes out, is the liyama the only 24" AMVA+ screen?

Playerwares reviewed the Qnix QX320QHD. It's a 1st class piece of trash for multiple reasons, though it is PWM free, semi-glossy and has decent pixel response times.

+PWM/Flicker Free
+Overshoot free overdrive and fast pixel response times
+Semi-glossy/grain free matte
-lack of proper brightness controls
-brightness needs to be very high to get decent contrast
-reducing the brightness reduces the gamma
-reducing the brightness increases the already inaccurate colour temperature
-inaccurate colour presets
-high 39ms delay

Now I know why it is so cheap.

Last edited:

The coating looks different though on the liyama and Asus.... I would quite like the liyama as its cheaper and similar quality to the Asus and also no PWM at all.... But it looks like the coating is more matte and I want the clearest / least matte coating, I hate matte coatings... Can anyone actually confirm that the coatings are exactly the same that has tried both? According to prad they are different but If they are actually identical (the pictures look slightly different but not a lot) the I would have the Liyama at £75 less, if the Asus is more glossy then I would prefer that.. The translation might be getting it wrong I don't know.

Here is the translation :

"The panel of the Iiyama XB2783HSU is frosted cautious and does not shine. The AR coating is effective ambient light is effectively scattered. The individual subpixels are outlined undistorted and clear in the macro shot to see. This is beneficial for the sharpness. The infamous crystal effect we have observed."

"The panel of VN279QLB is not very strong matted and shows a clear satin gloss. The AR coating is therefore clearly less effective than matt panels, rear or side incident bright light mainly from point sources can sometimes be annoying. The individual sub-pixels are clearly visible in the macro shot and almost not distorted. This is very beneficial for the sharpness. A surface structure can be recognized, but only very weak. The crystal effect (glitter) can not arise here."

Last edited:
"The infamous crystal effect we have not observed."
other than that the translation is correct, but it is still a bit confusing
on the iiyama it says ambient light is effectively scattered, on the asus it says "less effective" but then both reviews say the same about clear subpixel structure.
further complicating, reviews were written by 3 different authors, 2 for asus and the 3rd the iiyama
photos look slightly different but this could also be the camera settings...
on the overclockers.ru photo the coatings look almost the same on all 27'' AMVA+ monitors. actually the S27C750P and EW2740L look marginally clearer, followed VN279QLB, XB2783HSU and GW2760HS about on the same level
the 24'' subpixels are slightly more distorted, possibly due to smaller size, but here strangely the X2483HSU looks a bit more distorted than the VW2430H, S24C750P and EW2440L

well this is the best shot I managed to take of the subpixels on the 24'', but very small, I don't have a DSLR

Last edited:

You can keep wasting everyone's time by asking the same questions repeatedly while ignoring the advice and answers given, or you can try out a monitor from one of the many retailers with hassle free return policies which you have access to.

Different PRAD reviewers reviewed the Asus, BenQ and iiyama which is why the assessments are different. They use the same coating according to =DEAD= who reviewed all of them. Like panels, coatings vary slightly, and it is very hard to get identical pictures when taking macro photos

Last edited:
You can keep wasting everyone's time by asking the same questions repeatedly while ignoring the advice and answers given, or you can try out a monitor from one of the many retailers with hassle free return policies which you have access to.

Different PRAD reviewers reviewed the Asus, BenQ and iiyama which is why the assessments are different. They use the same coating according to =DEAD= who reviewed all of them. Like panels, coatings vary slightly, and it is very hard to get identical pictures when taking macro photos

Well its easier to spend 5 minutes asking a question on a forum, than to spend 5 days ordering, unpacking, testing, returning an item and possibly risking getting charged a restocking fee. That is what forums like this are for.... Sorry if I repeated myself but I am just trying to find out as much info so I can avoid returning things if possible because it is a nightmare. Also me asking questions is helpful for me and also for anyone else reading the thread so as you are a reviewer (good reviews BTW) I don't know why you think I am wasting anyone's time... That's what forums are for isn't it? To find stuff out so before buying?

Last edited:
"The infamous crystal effect we have not observed."
other than that the translation is correct, but it is still a bit confusing
on the iiyama it says ambient light is effectively scattered, on the asus it says "less effective" but then both reviews say the same about clear subpixel structure.
further complicating, reviews were written by 3 different authors, 2 for asus and the 3rd the iiyama
photos look slightly different but this could also be the camera settings...
on the overclockers.ru photo the coatings look almost the same on all 27'' AMVA+ monitors. actually the S27C750P and EW2740L look marginally clearer, followed VN279QLB, XB2783HSU and GW2760HS about on the same level
the 24'' subpixels are slightly more distorted, possibly due to smaller size, but here strangely the X2483HSU looks a bit more distorted than the VW2430H, S24C750P and EW2440L

well this is the best shot I managed to take of the subpixels on the 24'', but very small, I don't have a DSLR

Thanks for the reply.. Ah yes if they are written by different people that might explain the difference, but also that combined with the translation it is not very clear... I bought an Eizo foris and got stung with a 20% restocking fee so I am trying to get it right first time.... Also the Liyama in the UK is about £80 cheaper or 35% lower price than the asus so if the difference if very small I would prob be better off getting the Liyama. In that photo it looks like there is not much anti glare coating. I have attempted to read the russian translated review but it is not very helpful because the translation is mostly gibberish lol.

Last edited:
Iiyama ProLite XB2783HSU-1 £195

Asus VN279QLB £266

I am going to try one of these 27" VA screens but is the Asus worth the extra money? Better stand, Slightly more overdrive options, less matte screen(?), hmm cannot think of much else? Is the Liyama 99% the same as the asus for 25% less money?

Also how bad is 1080p 27" on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being APPALING and 10 being barely any different to 1080p 24", can you make the text look decent with truetype?

Last edited:
As specified in reviews and discussions the Iiyama is actually slightly better than the Asus in some areas (better colors, 100% flicker-free, even slightly more responsive).

The reason it's sometimes seen for cheaper is that there's a lot of confusion from resellers between the model with fully adjustable stand and the one without.

X2783HSU-B1 -> simple stand
XB2783HSU-B1 -> fully adjustable, usually about 50 bucks more expensive

NB: the model number with "-1" at the end AFAIK doesn't exist, it seems to be a typo many resellers/marketplaces just copied.

Does look like the liyama is slightly more matte which would make the colors duller but that looks marginal and they might be almost identical, so I don't think that is worth £70 more for the Asus, also the Asus has 3 or 4 usable overdrive options out of 5 vs 1 or 2 out of 3 on the Liyama so I don't know which would have the best motion without overshoot? Read on this thread someone said the Asus was better as it has more overdrive options, but if you can get a good setting out of 3 on the liyama it doesn't matter. Overall they look similar... So the Liyama is the best VA on the market out of every brand? £70 less than the Asus... I was going to get the Asus but at those prices probably I will be better with the Liyama then? Sorry for all questions I am trying to avoid restocking fees etc.

Last edited:
The Asus has more overdrive settings aka it gives the option to enable more aggressive overdrive with noticeable overshoot, the iiyama has only little overshoot even on maximum overdrive.
Other than the prad review there are no direct comparisons of response times though.
One customer review on amazon germany comparing the two mentions ghosing on the Asus that is not visible on the iiyama. (and also the feeping noise I mentioned, also mentioned in the overclockers.ru review of the Asus)
Other than DP instead of VGA there should be no difference between B1DP and the B1.
Maybe it can overclock higher than 76hz via DP, at least on the 24'' with DVI thats the upper limit.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Asus has more overdrive settings aka it gives the option to enable more aggressive overdrive with noticeable overshoot, the iiyama has only little overshoot even on maximum overdrive.
Other than the prad review there are no direct comparisons of response times though.
One customer review on amazon germany comparing the two mentions ghosing on the Asus that is not visible on the iiyama. (and also the feeping noise I mentioned, also mentioned in the overclockers.ru review of the Asus)
Other than DP instead of VGA there should be no difference between B1DP and the B1.
Maybe it can overclock higher than 76hz via DP, at least on the 24'' with DVI thats the upper limit.

Thanks... Have you used both and compared the coatings? (asus and liyama) That's the only thing that makes me think the asus might have better colors or they might be 99% the same don't know without buying both or hearing from someone who has owned both. It looks like the Liyama is much better value at 30% less if the coatings are not different.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
No, I have seen neither, only the 24'' XB24.
If there is a difference in the coating, its very small. But at least on the overclockers.ru pic the iiyama does not look more matte/less glossy than the Asus.
There is also another recent A-MVA+ monitor the BenQ BL2700HT but I couldn't find a single review.

problems with the input lag on those panels and also the color etc. Shame the 27" AUO screens do not have a glossy coating like those 28".

Need some cheap 32" 4k VA TV's with low input lag to use as monitors!

Last edited:
De ja vu. How many times must people re-post the same thing for you to understand? Both Igluk and I have addressed the differences at least two times in this thread and PM's.

The iiyama has the fastest pixel response times and least amount of overshoot (overdrive +3), AND THEY USE THE SAME COATING.

Last edited:
Purchased the Iiyama Xb2783hsu a few days ago, and i'm a little disappointed.
Colors are pretty nice, panel response quite good but, and it's a well, rounded BUT...

This monitor doesnt know what black means.

Despite having supposed black point of 0.05 once calibrated, there is no way to acheive pva class blacks like, for instance, Eizo Fs2331 (2010 model).

This is pretty close to what i'm getting, except the backlight bleed which is non existent on my unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDjuQjCOrSY

So i'm looking at the Samsung S27C750P and Benq 3200pt once again, hoping to find something better as long as black level is concerned.

De ja vu. How many times must people re-post the same thing for you to understand? Both Igluk and I have addressed the differences at least two times in this thread and PM's.

The iiyama has the fastest pixel response times and least amount of overshoot (overdrive +3), AND THEY USE THE SAME COATING.

Is it that time of the month? I know YOU say they use the same coating but the PICTURES and WEBSITE DESCRIPTIONS are DIFFERENT. Was just trying to CLARIFY it to avoid getting another restocking fee... SORRY FOR USING THE FORUMS TO FIND OUT INFORMATION. Thank you for the clarification, I hope that you are correct on the coatings...

Purchased the Iiyama Xb2783hsu a few days ago, and i'm a little disappointed.
Colors are pretty nice, panel response quite good but, and it's a well, rounded BUT...

Despite having supposed black point of 0.05 once calibrated, there is no way to acheive pva class blacks like, for instance, Eizo Fs2331 (2010 model).

This is pretty close to what i'm getting, except the backlight bleed which is non existent on my unit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDjuQjCOrSY

So i'm looking at the Samsung S27C750P and Benq 3200pt once again, hoping to find something better as long as black level is concerned.

The blacks look worse than IPS screens in that video. Is that glow noticeable even with some ambient light in the room or just with the light off?

Despite having supposed black point of 0.05 once calibrated, there is no way to achieve pva class blacks like, for instance, Eizo Fs2331 (2010 model).

The other monitors you listed have similar contrast ratios (2,500-3,000:1) range and the video you posted is shot with the monitors brightness set to 200cdm/2 which is very bright.

How bright do you have the iiyama set? Are you using HDMI with a Nividia card?

The same people are responding (Igluk & I), thus zero 'clarification' has been provided. The last 2 pages of this thread consists of the same people providing the same answers (which I already provided in PM's) which you refuse to accept. I explained why PRAD's reviewers posted different things, as well as told you that =DEAD=, who reviewed all of the monitors says the coatings are the same.

You live in the UK and have access to plenty of stores with hassle free return policies (no re-stocking fee), so don't complain when you choose to buy monitors from stores with re-stocking fees.

The other monitors you listed have similar contrast ratios (2,500-3,000:1) range and the video you posted is shot with the monitors brightness set to 200cdm/2 which is very bright.

My unit is set to 22 osd brightness, contrast is set to 84 which translates into ~115 cd/m² luminance and ~2400 contrast ratio.

I also tried to use Hdmi cable with my Nvidia card (0-255) and the result was the same.

The same people are responding (Igluk & I), thus zero 'clarification' has been provided. The last 2 pages of this thread consists of the same people providing the same answers (which I already provided in PM's) which you refuse to accept. I explained why PRAD's reviewers posted different things, as well as told you that =DEAD=, who reviewed all of the monitors says the coatings are the same.

You live in the UK and have access to plenty of stores with hassle free return policies (no re-stocking fee), so don't complain when you choose to buy monitors from stores with re-stocking fees.

Thansks for info then, It wasn't a restocking fee's, I received a monitor which was already opened and damaged when I got it... I then sent it back and they blamed me for the damage and tried to charge me 20% but I got it back in the end. New laws in the Uk make it annoying buying things online, you can get charged 20% for simply opening an item and returning it.

Hmm the blacks and glow on those VA screens looks almost as bad (worse even) compared to IPS glow on some screens.

Last edited:
Hmm the blacks and glow on those VA screens looks almost as bad (worse even) compared to IPS glow on some screens.

The Iiyama being my first A-MVA, maybe i was expecting too much, like the black level i previously had on my old PVA screens.

Like i said, there is no deep black on my screen, and the glow is visible at all times, especially when you're not right in front of the screen.

Still, im shocked that recent monitors cannot acheive the same performance as older units when white/black point is concerned.

Seems like all that matters nowadays is G-sync and ultra fast response time...

Hey guys, ive got a s24c750p and i gotta say im really enjoying it. Im coming from a U2412M and the clarity + No backlight bleeding/Glow + Excellent blacks is amazing. Colours are not quite as nice as the Dell though so wanted to calibrate it. I'd like to know what my black levels /Gamma, all that jazz are! Are there any good guides i should be reading?

Also which calibrator is recommended? I have about $150 tops..

I kind of mentioned this before.

The glow is often called the VA-cone, and it's effectively an issue with gamma-shift. Unless you're using the display from a far-enough distance away, then you'll experience VA-cone + desaturated colors towards the corners of the monitor. I actually suffered from pretty severe eye-strain seemingly from VA-glow, which was without a doubt a result of using my BL3200PT too close to my face. I've since returned the BL3200PT and all became right in the world.

Anyway, all the information you need has already been given to you - either buy something, or wait for 120hz+ IPS panels.

Hey guys, ive got a s24c750p and i gotta say im really enjoying it. Im coming from a U2412M and the clarity + No backlight bleeding/Glow + Excellent blacks is amazing. Colours are not quite as nice as the Dell though so wanted to calibrate it. I'd like to know what my black levels /Gamma, all that jazz are! Are there any good guides i should be reading?

Also which calibrator is recommended? I have about $150 tops..

I recommend purchasing the 'X-Rite Colormunki Display', as it's the absolute bare minimum you can go for a decent colorimeter.

You're also going to want to use dispcalgui for calibration purposes. Majority of the information you'll need to perform calibration is located in the table of contents on the main page of the website (scroll down).

I can either get a new ColorMunki Display or a second-hand i1 Display Pro for the same price. Which is better?

The i1 display pro is the best consumer colorimeter around, and it would definitely be the better purchase, assuming you have no qualms about buying something second-hand.

I kind of mentioned this before.

The glow is often called the VA-cone, and it's effectively an issue with gamma-shift. Unless you're using the display from a far-enough distance away, then you'll experience VA-cone + desaturated colors towards the corners of the monitor. I actually suffered from pretty severe eye-strain seemingly from VA-glow, which was without a doubt a result of using my BL3200PT too close to my face. I've since returned the BL3200PT and all became right in the world.

It seems the AUO MVA screens are not as good as the PVA screens.... My TV is a Sony/Samsung SPVA screen and it has no glow at all and the blacks are good... Is there not anything like this in 24/27" pc monitors? PVA instead of MVA? or are they all AUO MVA these days? As it is made by Samsung I think they still make their own panels ?

This one looks good in the pictures... http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...0p-review-1920x1080-72hz-semi-glossy-mva.html But then most of the screens in those reviews look good (saturated with good blacks).

Last edited:
Back