Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

Added PRAD's EW2740L & Iiyama XB2783HSU-B1 review to the 1st post. The EW2740L's Overdrive seems pretty balanced like the VN279Q's.

The Iiyama XB2783HSU-B1 (not available in North America) seems like the best 27" A-MVA monitor now since it is PWM Free unlike the VN279Q, has a height adjustable stand, excellent color presets and fast pixel response times with minimal overshoot when Overdrive +3 is used.

Read the review.

Panel type: CMO M280HKJ-L30 MVA (Multi-domain Vertical Alignment) LCD

Been eyeing the Asus VN289Q since forever and it is now available on Amazon.de. Anyone (NCX?) know anything about it? Response time, input lag?

I'm actually intrigued by the PiP/PbP feature too. All I know is that it's supposedly mounting a Chi-Mei VA 8bit panel and that's about it...

Hmmm so the EW2740L is super solid (although I so wish they would come out with a Gsync variant of it, even still at 60hz max.
What are the better smaller options, I'm on a 23" now so something around that size would be cool.

The iiyama X2483HSU is the only 24" A-MVA panel on par with the 27" monitors and is not available in North America. A-MVA panels with G-Sync are years away. The EW2440L is mediocre (=DEAD reviewed it) since it has poor colors (worse than many TN's), which is why it is not on the list.

Thanks for the heads up on the EW2440L. I'll be sure to avoid it.
Sucks that the iiyama isn't easily available in NA...184$ shipping on Amazon... ;-;
What would we do without you NCX <3
I guess I'll keep trucking along with the S23A700D that I got two years ago after reading your review of it, it's still awesome for gaming :D

=DEAD='s Asus VN289Q Review.

Glossy, PWM free, good color presets, good overdrive but it has a 25ms delay, worse viewing angles compared to the 27" A-MVA panels and the sRGB color space coverage is also lower (89% out of the box which is on par with the GW2760Hs and S27C750P) than the (95%+) Asus VN279Q, BenQ EW2740L and iiyama XB2783HSU.

Most of the 1080p VA panels can be considered delay free.

Hello Everyone
What is the best option for gaming ( PC and console )

- Samsung 27C750P
- Samsung S24D590P
- Dell P2414H
- Dell U2414H

I have two 27C750Ps, I think they are great for gaming.

Pros:
- both overclock to 75Hz with no problems
- they have either none at all or very negligible input lag (less than I felt on a Benq 144Hz monitor and Dell U2412M)
- superb black levels
- both of my monitors have no noticeable glow/bleed; however, I do sit about 1-2' away
- semi-gloss coating

Cons:
- color settings need to be tweaked
- Nvidia GPUs need HDMI fix to work correctly (not really con if you do not use HDMI)
- the image does "smear" if you have an extremely dark foreground over a very bright background while panning in some games (Skyrim is most noticeable for me)

I play everything from CoD Ghosts to Shift 2 on these monitors and do not really have any complaints.
Overall I think they are great for gaming, also very easy on the eyes due to the semi gloss coating.

Hope that helps.

^
Thank you
( I apologize for my bad English )

I am interested about problems with the response time, with dark and bright scenes, is it so obvious while playing games ?

Glossy, PWM free, good color presets, good overdrive but it has a 25ms delay, worse viewing angles compared to the 27" A-MVA panels and the sRGB color space coverage is also lower (89% out of the box which is on par with the GW2760Hs and S27C750P) than the (95%+) Asus VN279Q, BenQ EW2740L and iiyama XB2783HSU.

Just read the review. :(

I was expecting high input lag, considering that it's multi-input, but not that high! Sigh. I have tried those Benq, Samsung and Asus monitors already, but had to send them all back for one reason or another. Besides, I have read that the liyama has some weird issue with the contrast going down to IPS levels, and worst of all the scaling for 720p contents looks horrible. :mad:

*EDIT*
By the way, why hasn't the Benq VW2430H suggested in this thread at all? =DEAD='s review on overclockers is excellent! Very tempted to give it a try...

Last edited:
Besides, I have read that the liyama has some weird issue with the contrast going down to IPS levels, and worst of all the scaling for 720p contents looks horrible.

PRAD didn't have any issue with the iiyama's contrast. =DEAD= reduced the contrast setting to manually correct the gamma before profiling. As for 720p scaling, the iiyama displays 720p properly over HDMI (good for consoles) and usually people who buy nice monitors don't play PC games at 720p.

By the way, why hasn't the Benq VW2430H suggested in this thread at all? =DEAD='s review on overclockers is excellent! Very tempted to give it a try...

I missed it, added it to the first post now. Not sure about availability though.

Any more advice, thanks

Either you want deep VA blacks or your want better viewing angles and response times. Not sure why you picked the 750P over the superior VN2789, EW2740L and xb2783hsu...

Both the P2414H and S24D590P overclock, but the Samsung has a less grainy matte coating but lacks a height and USB ports. The U2414H has slightly better color presets than the P2414H but only overclocks to 65hz (pointless) while the P2414H and S24D590P can overclock to 72hz+. Both TFT Central and PC Monitors have reviewed the Dell P24 and U24 monitors, read their reviews. I reviewed the S24D590L.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying that about the liyama (yup, need that for both console and PC use). I guess it's down to either the VW2430H or the XB2783HSU again.

The XB2783HSU has better colors (higher sRGB color space coverage and more accurate preset gamma) as well as faster pixel response times.

^
Thanks

Who is the winner in response time between P2414H, U2414H and S24D590P ?

No one has tested all of them, but they should be pretty similar.

^
Thanks again

I think I'll choose U2414H.
2 HDMI ports, and 2 DP ports are more than enough for me.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
^Read reviews linked in the first post to find out. .=DEAD= reviewed both the VW24 and EW27, and both PRAD and PC monitors reviews contain information about resolution scaling.

-------------------------

Playerwares reviewed the glossy AOC 2870 MVA DP, it has a 22ms delay like the glossy Asus 28" but uses 240hz PWM, so I can not recommend it.

Hey NCX, I found your other thread at wecravegamestoo and wanted a few recommendations.

I currently own an NEC EA231WMi. Calibrates well, is matte, love the base (has full adjustments). I believe it's rated at 14 ms, which doesn't bother me as much as one would think. It's a conservative rating IMO. I'm looking for an IPS with a faster response time, 1080p, better colour, standard gamut, fully adjustable (may be optional), and will calibrate well. I watch movies and edit photography in Photoshop, and do general Internet surfing. I use a Spyder2 Pro to calibrate. My Mom has - which I recommended - an ASUS VG23AH. Wow, what a monitor! Calibrates well, semi gloss IPS, fast enough, is spot on in its native setting (6500k). Not too reflective, but enough gloss to give movies black depth. I think my recommendation of that monitor took place before its popularity. :D After seeing that, the semi gloss surface really appeals to me.

1.) Budget: How much are you willing to spend?
Under $250

2.) Glossy or matte (semi-glossy=essentially grain free matte coating)
Semi-gloss or matte

3.) Want true 120hz+ without overclocking? This limits you to TN panels and the Eizo FG2421 (A-MVA)
No, and no 3D

4.) Want inky blacks? Only monitors with A-MVA panels have inky blacks
I know this depends on the panel surface and panel, but I need better blacks than the matte look of my NEC

5.) Want a delay free 2560x1440 monitor? This limits you to single input (dual-link dvi) monitors
No

Right now I'm considering the ASUS PB238Q, but it is matte

Thanks for your help :cool:

The semi-glossy 1080p (400$ Eizo EV2336W) - 1200p (HP E24i, Z24i and Samsung S24A850D) and 1440p Qnix/X-Star's (300$) are above your budget. The semi-glossy 1200p IPS have more flaws than the good matte options (Asus PB248Q or VS24AL and BenQ BL2411PT). The PB238Q is not very good.

LG's CCFL back-lit IPS quality control was awful, so either your NEC will be significantly worse or equal to the current IPS/PLS panels black level wise (CCFL back-lit IPS contrast ranged from 600-1100:1 between the same panels!) unless your monitor or the replacement has obvious back-light bleeding.

My recommendations and review links can be found in this thread
, the Dell P2x14H seems like the best candidate unless you want a glossy monitor with more vibrant colors like the HP Envy 23," but it does not have a height adjustable stand.

If you can handle monitors with low LED PWM Dimming frequencies (Side Effects, the VG23AH and EV2335 use 200-240hz frequencies) Eizo sells semi-glossy EV2335's ( EV2333WF-BK) for 150$. PRAD's Review. Also consider the semi-glossy BenQ VW2430WH or GW2760HS (review links in the first post) which sell for under 250$.

Last edited:
Those Dell look interesting (the BenQ too, but a few have a white bezel :p).

Is the price difference due to the interfaces? The performance in reviews seems about the same. I like the thicker bezel on the P2414H

Sorry for refreshing this:
Did anyone compare VW2430WH to new BL2410PT flicker free?

I'm think I've seen BL2410PT (probably the new one) and X2483HSU in shop and it might be placebo but I think 2410 was actually sharper overall, just it had some smoothed edges of game characters in dark scenes, I guess that's gray-to-gray ghosting or something.

I will probably buy 2 or 3 displays, IIyama for sure, and keep just one of them. The problem is I can't decide between 2410 and VW2430 which I didn't see.

Is the price difference due to the interfaces?

The prices are determined by the manufacturer and retailers. The BenQ has a lighter, non-grainy matte coating, much deeper black levels and less bottom corner glow while the Dell has faster pixel response times, better viewing angles and no gamma shift.

Did anyone compare VW2430WH to new BL2410PT flicker free?

The BL2410PT reviews are of the launch version which was not Flicker Free or semi-glossy like the monitors recommended in this thread.

After a long time looking for a 27" display I ended up buying the Iiyama XB2783HSU mostly thanks to the reviews posted in the OP. I received it today.

After 4 years with a ZR24W from HP I quite enjoy the deep blacks I get from this AMVA screen, the viewing angles are better than I thought and response time/ghosting, while probably nowhere near fast enough for an avid FPS player, is good enough for me, I notice no diference from the HP one, granted it wasn't very fast either, but that's fine with me.

It's not perfect though, it has no dead pixels nor backlight bleed, but it seems to suffer a bit from uniformity issues on the left and right lower corners which are a bit darker, it's only visible on flat colors so it has no effect when watching videos or playing games unless you're specifically looking for it, and even then I'd be hard pressed to see it.

Another thing I noticed is that it seems to have a bit less saturation than my old IPS screen, but that's a bit of a personal thing, I like colors popping a bit more than they should, this screen is more "natural" so to say, than my older one.

And lastly, it's a 1080p screen, everyone knows that, but with no intention to upgrade GPU in the coming year(s), this seemed a pretty good bet, I also have bad eye sight and something with higher res would make me have to sit closer to the screen, running 1080p on a 1440p would be a waste (plus running a LCD outside its native resolution makes everything somewhat blurry) and windows UI scaling is awful, making the fonts bigger than 5% and it starts to distort.

All in all, I'm happy with the screen, while it didn't have the same "wow" factor than it did when I transitioned from TN to IPS, I enjoy the glow free screen, 3 more inches and deep blacks.

Maybe the default color/gamma presets aren't the best. Maybe you'll find advice in the prad.de & overclockers.ru reviews (though in German and Russian, well...)

For reading text and watching videos (movies), mostly youtube.com videos in HD, which provides better picture quality: an IPS panel or a AMVA panel? Which one is better in avoiding ghosting and which one provides better black/contrast.

If you were to buy a monitor for said uses, would you choose a AMVA monitor over an IPS one?

I have only used IPS monitors (DELL U2410, 2713HM, U2711) so I have no experience in AMVA panels.

If it's for text and videos I'd take an AMVA+ over an IPS anytime.
Much better contrast and deeper blacks.
But I'd take one that dims low-enough not to burn my eyes while reading.
AMVA+ are not as good as IPS ghosting-wise, but as long as you don't play FPS games they're fast enough, really.

IPS can be good for videos too, especially the colors that may appear more 'natural', but only the 'glow-free' few (very, very few, and not even guaranteed to get one due to panel lottery).
If you're into fast games anyway, stick to IPS.

Does this monitor have an equivalent in other brand like Benq, Samsung, AOC or other. I want to read more reviews about it to see if it is worth.

For reading text and watching videos (no gaming) does the Dell S2740L (glossy panel) is a good one?

Does this monitor have an equivalent in other brand like Benq, Samsung, AOC or other. I want to read more reviews about it to see if it is worth.

For reading text and watching videos (no gaming) does the Dell S2740L (glossy panel) is a good one?

No and the S2740L sucks unless you like grey blacks and using a mirror. Displays which use glass are horrible for watching movies.

Which out of the BenQ BL3200PT and the Samsung 32D850T, has the lowest input lag? Or is it so close that you would not notice a difference? Also which is the best for response times / blurring? Not sure which to get out of these two for general windows use, gaming etc.

Or is it so close that you would not notice a difference?

Correct in regards to both the delay and pixel response times, assuming the Samsung's brightness is kept above 29% (very bright 170cdm/2) since it uses PWM from 0-29% (scroll down to see what PWM artifacts look like). The 32" VA monitors have vertical banding and flickering issues. I need to update the thread with sources describing both issues. The Crossover 32X2-P is the best but it likely has the same issues as the others.

Back