Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

Any good 21.5" VAs? I was looking at the GW2265HM in particular. Looks to be pretty good, bit of a grainy coating, but can always remove that if i wanted.

Sorry, better to post in this thread -
Here is prad.de test of HP EliteDisplay s270c (27'' 1080p curved 60hz SVA matrix)

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-hp-elitedisplay-s270c.html

the panel is (edit) semi-glossy, compared to the Samsung S27D590C which is matte.
they als tested the Samsung, for comparison: (HP beats Samsung in some areas and vice-versa, overall they slightly preferred the Samsung because of better colour accuracy. HP has better contrast and black uniformity)
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-samsung-s27d590c-led.html

Subpixels:
S27D590C:
2Y2j0kr.jpg

s270c:
h21k5oE.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a 27" 1440p 60 fps with a good panel (not 100% glossy though)? (not necessarily a-mva)

Added the BenQ EW2750ZL to the first post and now know what the coating HP is using on many of their new monitors including the VA S270C and AH-IPS 25XW, 27XW and 27CW. The coating is a mix between glossy and semi-glossy, but is close to semi-gloss. The coating is clear, but suffers from obvious white haze when displaying dark content which can normally be seen through on a glossy coating. It also reduces the vibrancy, but it seems to be free from sparkle and grain. The EW2750ZL has higher contrast than the EW2740L, but the 275 uses a garbage frame-less casing which has an inner black bezel which ruins the perceived black depth a bit. Both the curved HP and Samsung definitely have worse overdrive in terms of measured pixel response times to over-shoot ratio compared to the Asus VN279Q, BenQ EW2740L and iiyama XB2783HSU. The 2015 VA monitors changes are really disappointing.

Last edited:
Recently got a EW2740L, going to send it back for the EW2750ZL because it's cheaper for some reason.
I finally see what you mean by the garbage bezels, they literally reflect the light from the screen, and yeah it's not cool. I don't really see how the frameless casing is worse though. I assume the better panel is worth it anyways.

https://flic.kr/p/pPhVeJ

No LCD can 'out-black' a matte inner black, or glass covered black bezel.

Oh I think I get it, yeah I see that's kind of worse than the raised reflective (in the inner part) bezels of the EW2740L, huh.
So what's the best alternative to the BenQs again, maybe with something other than HDMI as an input option? Not that I'm not liking my EW2740L, great for consuming content, incredibly bad for Battlefield 4 compared to my 120hz Samsung S23700AD, like worse than I thought or remember my old 60hz panels being...

How's the VN279QL? I wonder if that's getting a slight model update soon too... I like the better stand on it, and the bezels seem better, more recessed.
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VN279QL-...p/B00FE6DNM2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

7.9 /10 ? Something I don't understand with reviews today is that they tend to give ever lower marks even to products like this one that's clearly better than other extremely similar products they've reviewed before.
pcmonitors kind of do the same by giving that ever 86% mark, how does that make any sense ?

In the case of that playerwares review; Is it just because it's only Full Hd ? Otherwise I don't understand, and again for playerwares Google Translation is useless.

7.9 /10 ? Something I don't understand with reviews today is that they tend to give ever lower marks even to products like this one that's clearly better than other extremely similar products they've reviewed before.
pcmonitors kind of do the same by giving that ever 86% mark, how does that make any sense ?

In the case of that playerwares review; Is it just because it's only Full Hd ? Otherwise I don't understand, and again for playerwares Google Translation is useless.

To be honest I think random number generators are used. But seriously, I wouldn't look too much into scores. They're probably only there to appease lazy people. I mean how would you score something that's so subjective? :confused: For PCM scores it seems they like anything that they give above 85% to. Never seen them give higher than 88%, 86% more common, 85% sometimes and anything lower is generally quite a problem monitor.

In most cases there's no need to read monitor review text if one knows how to interpret the measurements and pictures of a monitors coating, ghosting, glow and viewing angles.

In most cases there's no need to read monitor review text if one knows how to interpret the measurements and pictures of a monitors coating, ghosting, glow and viewing angles.

Yeah kind of although I believe we can sometimes miss an important point the reviewer makes, for instance in your own reviews you often highlight the most important or subtle differences between seemingly identical monitors, and there are no figures to show that better than words.

Anyway those marks at the end of their reviews really create a kind of WTF effect. :confused:

The stars on prad at least make it clearer that for a monitor to get 5 it really needs to get most things really right.
(german>english translations are much more readable so over time you can get to understand this is what they do)

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

Hopefully next year the prices on the 32"'s will drop, hoping for 450$ or less.

Playwares were the first to review one of the monitors with the 23.6'' Super MVA panel by Innolux
The Philips V-Line 243V5Q
http://playwares.com/dpreview/47431636#

I believe the displays are all grainy matte sadly (25% Haze), yet panelook also lists a semi-glossy version (3% Haze)
Response times and sRGB compliance seem to be a bit worse than the AMVA+ by AUO.
The Philips does not appear to be PWM free.
Of note is the 5000:1 contrast ratio it scored its not the first time I've seen a Super MVA panel be above specified contrast spec.

Same panel is used in BenQ GW2455H, iiyama X2481HS/XB2481HS, Viewsonic VG2437Smc/VG2439Smh and HP V241P

Last edited:
EDIT: No longer relevant.

Priced pretty well too. Just a little over $160 here, though it looks like this monitor has been out for a while.

Yeah I don't fully understand their measurements either, they seem to be more similar to the ones on prad.de than tftcentral. In any case it should be quite fast on AMA High.
A 3900:1 contrast isn't bad too.
I noticed the max brightness of the GW2470H is "only" 230cd/m² but it should be fine as long as you don't use it in a super-bright room.

On the 32'' front, =DEAD= now reviewed the Philips BDM3270QP:
http://www.3dnews.ru/921333/page-2.html

Seems to be the best of the 32'' VA panels atm with highest contrast (3360:1) and it is also confirmed PWM free. The input lag is as high as all the others though.
There is also a digitalversus test.

Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

Someone didn't read the first post...

They didn't really make a mention of the coating of the GW2470H did they? I think they said matte, but does that mean matte or does it mean semi-glossy like the ew2740l/ew2750zl? It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures how thick the coating is.

I suppose if i were to get one and not be satisfied with the coating i can always remove it. I've had my VG248QE without a matte coating for over a year now and no problems having an exposed polarizer layer.

OMG when are manufacturers going to move on? Black monitors almost exclusively still being released even though it is so last year.

The Philips BDM3270QP has a lot right except for the colour and quite a high price.
Any reviews of:
AOC Q3277PQU [at least this has some hint of silver and the price is lower than the philips]
Acer B326HUL [yes on first page]
Philips 241P4QRYES/00 [this is silver]

I am still not sure whether to go for one large monitor or two smaller monitors. However I really do not want Black coloured frames.

Here is a video review of the Philips BDM3270QP which although not expert, it does show how the display reacts to different operating conditions.

I did notice a patterning on the display but I don't know whether that is just due to the bitrate, the video encoding or even my display which is pretty appalling to be honest. Can anyone share any comment on this? It's visible on the white part of the screen, just above the dark rectangular region. Is this banding? There does seem some in the game he plays too. It could just be my display which is why I need a new monitor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NadhtCBUfSI

I did notice a patterning on the display but I don't know whether that is just due to the bitrate, the video encoding or even my display which is pretty appalling to be honest. Can anyone share any comment on this? It's visible on the white part of the screen, just above the dark rectangular region. Is this banding? There does seem some in the game he plays too.

Do you mean this wavy moire effect? That is due to the camera.
Here's a fresh BDM3270QP review by sweclockers
http://www.sweclockers.com/test/21175-philips-bdm3270qp-32-tum-med-va-panel

Will the Philips BDM3270QP be available in the US?

hmm cant find any info about US release.
The 40'' Philips came to US after a couple of months but the 32 has already been available in EU since May or June.

Last edited:
Will the Philips BDM3270QP be available in the US?
It might be worth only searching for the first part of the model number and omitting the QP because I have just found another review with my first search with the shortened model number. The QP could be area/country specific.

Do you mean this wavy moire effect? That is due to the camera.
Here's a fresh BDM3270QP review by sweclockers
http://www.sweclockers.com/test/21175-philips-bdm3270qp-32-tum-med-va-panel

Yes it is a wavy pattern, thanks for confirming that it is due to the camera because I wasn't sure with my current display.

Thanks for the new review. I have just found another in Polish
http://wavepc.pl/test-monitora-philips-bdm3270/
and another better review with some measurements such as Delta E:
http://ekspert.ceneo.pl/test-philips-bdm-3270/
hmm cant find any info about US release.
The 40'' Philips came to US after a couple of months but the 32 has already been available in EU since May or June.
Yes it has been available in the EU for quite a while but the price has been a bit too high for my liking at Amazon which is the only place that I am considering purchasing from, it can be purchased for £344.46@ https://www.alza.co.uk/32-philips-bdm3270qp-d2428064.htm
and the Amazon.co.uk price fell a bit in the last couple of days from £415 to £394.79. I would prefer closer to £350-£370.

Looks like the youtube reviewer is a member of this forum and he posted his thoughts about the Philips here> http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1041725835

One thing I like about this Philips is that it supports a wider range of vertical refresh rates, 23 to 76Hz which would be helpful. I've noticed that some of tf the newer Asus monitors are supporting a wider range of vertical refresh rates. The AOC Q3277PQU and Acer B326HUL 32" AMVA panels do not.

All we need now is a high quality English review from tftcentral or pcmonitors.info or even a German review from prad.de. Preferably a monitor which hasn't been cherry picked by the manufacturer as I get the impression that that seems to happen all to regular for my liking. Or maybe that is a delusion or something. They would not really do that or would they?

Last edited:
We've known for a year that the 32" VA panels drop/skip frames when made to accept signals above 60hz. The Wave PC article is a user impression, not a review since it lacks useful measurements, and the Eskpert one barely qualifies as a review since it is so barebones. Too, bad since I was hoping to have a few more non-English review sites to check weekly.

Thanks for enlightening me about them not being able to "overclock" effectively, however for me coping with a Movie/media player lower frame rate is more important. However it might of been nice if it could work at a higher frame rate.

Many of the 32" VA panels do not list the available vertical refresh rates, the Acer or Benq do not show them on their sites. Only the AOC and Philips give the supported vertical refresh rates, 50~76Hz for the AOC Q3277PQU and 23 - 76 Hz on the Philips BDM3270QP.

Have either of these been confirmed as dropping frames? It might only be to specification unless the electronics fully supports higher than 60Hz as I would think that it isn't solely the panel which has to support higher refresh rates. I could be very much mistaken as I do not have any experience of Lcd panels being a CRT man. I have some amusing memories of Lcd TV panels showing a skier going down a snow covered mountain and laughing at the trail behind him. I have avoided them until now and would skip them entirely if I had any other choice, but alas I do not. I cannot continue with the poor image on my current TV display. I need something much higher res with a much more crisp and better focused display.

Last edited:
Yes sadly the Philips accepts up to 73hz but is dropping frames above 64hz, despite what the specifications say.
If the translation is correct it even drops frames at 1024x768@75hz - there is a whole section on this on page 3 of the sweclockers review.
A couple of the 1080p AMVA overclock to 72hz-78hz without frameskipping but none of the 1440p.
But concerning lower refresh rates looks like at least 24hz is a go, good for movies (no 48 or 72hz though) :
"However, you run the 2560 × 1440 pixels at 24 and 50 Hz by creating your own timing to the screen. BDM3270QP handle these frequencies without jerking."

Last edited:
If it has multiple inputs, has a resolution of 1200p or higher and doesn't have F or G-Sync it's pretty much guaranteed to drop frames when overclocked.

Yes sadly the Philips accepts up to 73hz but is dropping frames above 64hz, despite what the specifications say.
If the translation is correct it even drops frames at 1024x768@75hz - there is a whole section on this on page 3 of the sweclockers review.
A couple of the 1080p AMVA overclock to 72hz-78hz without frameskipping but none of the 1440p.
But concerning lower refresh rates looks like at least 24hz is a go, good for movies (no 48 or 72hz though) :
"However, you run the 2560 × 1440 pixels at 24 and 50 Hz by creating your own timing to the screen. BDM3270QP handle these frequencies without jerking."
I had not finished reading the reviews, real life got in the way. I have now and I must say that I am now very disappointed with the Philips capabilities. If what I understand from the sweclockers review is correct then it cannot handle HDMI input for 1080p sources @ 24fps let alone how it would cope with 23.976. If it does not work with my media player then there is no point in me spending extra on it, I might as well purchase a lower cost screen or 2 smaller screens 24/25". It looks like my search goes on :(

HP ENVY 32 Media Display may be what you are looking for.
Not unless you want PWM. The contrast is quite poor as well.
http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/hp-envy-32-p22433/test.html

Back