Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

These are Super-MVA panels (contrary to what the review says). They also come in 23.6'' versions.
edit: The 28'' should be 3.4% Haze semi-glossy, the 23.6'' are listed as 25% Haze matte on panelook.
There are only so few reviews of those, its hard to tell how good they are.
There is a Russian one here for the Asus VN289Q that is not very positive:
Link
Korean review for ViewSonic VX2858SML, better:
Click
and the digitalversus review of the iiyama. these are already all I could find right now.
The iiyama has a significantly lower input lag from what I see here in the digitalversus review (they use a Leo Bodnar device), and otherwise does well.
digitalversus tests are not as in-depth as some other sites though

Last edited:
The semi-glossy 1080p (400$ Eizo EV2336W) - 1200p (HP E24i, Z24i and Samsung S24A850D) and 1440p Qnix/X-Star's (300$) are above your budget. The semi-glossy 1200p IPS have more flaws than the good matte options (Asus PB248Q or VS24AL and BenQ BL2411PT). The PB238Q is not very good.

LG's CCFL back-lit IPS quality control was awful, so either your NEC will be significantly worse or equal to the current IPS/PLS panels black level wise (CCFL back-lit IPS contrast ranged from 600-1100:1 between the same panels!) unless your monitor or the replacement has obvious back-light bleeding.

My recommendations and review links can be found in this thread
, the Dell P2x14H seems like the best candidate unless you want a glossy monitor with more vibrant colors like the HP Envy 23," but it does not have a height adjustable stand.

If you can handle monitors with low LED PWM Dimming frequencies (Side Effects, the VG23AH and EV2335 use 200-240hz frequencies) Eizo sells semi-glossy EV2335's ( EV2333WF-BK) for 150$. PRAD's Review. Also consider the semi-glossy BenQ VW2430WH or GW2760HS (review links in the first post) which sell for under 250$.

I know we talked about this stuff a long time ago. I want to know if your recommendation of the Dell P2414H or U2414H still stands or if there are more current models I don't know of?

Original post:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041057726&postcount=66

Should I be considering more seriously a 2560x1440 monitor?

I know we talked about this stuff a long time ago. I want to know if your recommendation of the Dell P2414H or U2414H still stands or if there are more current models I don't know of?

Not really unless you want a glossy monitor. The HP 23 Envy is no longer the only good PWM free+glossy 1080p IPS/PLS panel now that the Dell S2x15H monitors are out. I made a new monitor recommendations thread which is better organized. Amazon Canada is selling S24A850Ds (1200p semi-glossy PLS with lighter coatings than the matte 1080p AH-IPS and AD-PLS panels) for 232$.

Should I be considering more seriously a 2560x1440 monitor?

If you want to spend a lot more and get a better monitor, yes. Best 27" 1440p Monitors.

Last edited:
I think I may be in the process of getting a va panel. I'm a little worried since I do some gaming atm, but hopefully I'll manage.

Some pursuit pics etc. I took

Ufo speed: 960px/sec
dark transition:
50hz OD3 (OD1 is better @50 because bright transitions start to cause noticeable overshoot)

60hz OD3

or: http://i.imgur.com/Fnnj2SL.jpg
76hz OD3

semitone transition:
60hz OD3 (couldn't get better photo):
iSSxxEE1Bxwmr.jpg

76hz OD3

bright transition:
60hz OD3:
ibkG8NKZudS1ZM.jpg

72hz OD3

or: http://i.imgur.com/8VIBRUN.jpg
frameskipping tst

edit:
Monitor: XB2483HSU
Panel: M240HVN02.1
Timings - DL-DVI:
72hz
Total pixels: 2078/1098 or 2080/1100
75hz:
Front porch: 44/4
Sync width: 22/5
Total px: 2004/1092
76hz:
Front: 44/4
Sync: 22/5
Total px: 1990/1090

MPRT results ( http://www.testufo.com/#test=mprt )

black/white
60hz
MMCR 65-71 MPRT 14.1-15.3
76hz
MMCR 83-90 MPRT 11.1-12.1

white/black
60hz
MMCR 60-65 MPRT 15.3-16.7
76hz
MMCR 76-83 MPRT 12.1-13.2

Last edited:
In the =DEAD= review of the Iiyama ProLite XB2783HSU-B1, it seems to be saying that if you use the "USER" color controls and change the "RGB" values to anything other than 100,100,100 - you get a massive reduction in contrast from 2600:1 to ~1000:1 ?! The translation from russian to english is bad.. but can anyone with the screen confirm if this is correct? For me that would be a serious dealbreaker! Am I reading it wrong / bad translation? Or is that actually the case? I have read that before in other monitor reviews where activating the color controls ruins the contrast of the screen...

Last edited:
He wrote that to get reference gamma curves he had to reduce OSD contrast - that netted only a 1000:1 contrast ratio, has nothing to do with RGB values.
Prad tested gamma with full contrast and there are only minor deviations.

He wrote that to get reference gamma curves he had to reduce OSD contrast - that netted only a 1000:1 contrast ratio, has nothing to do with RGB values.
Prad tested gamma with full contrast and there are only minor deviations.

I thought he meant that lowering the RGB values from 100,100,100 to 90,93.90 (numbers are a guess but you get the point), it lowered the contrast from 2600:1 > 1000:1...

I read one of NCX reviews, think it was the asus PB27QR, where using custom color mode and changing the values from 100,100,100 ruined the contrast, so I thought it might be similar to that... Although 2600:1 > 1000:1 does seem ridiculous, it is almost impossible to understand the translation from russian to english in some parts.

Last edited:
Hard to know what to make of the prad vs =Dead= reviews of the liyama and asus 27" 1080p VA screens lol... One says one thing then other review says the opposite... For example one review says the Asus has a higher SRGB coverage, the other says the Liyama!

Yes and Prad measures almost the same contrast on both, while the Asus gets 3580:1 in =Dead= review.
Hard to say what is what, both reviews are trustworthy so maybe there is some variance in panel quality, different OSD settings, or a degree of measurement error.
Also =Dead= notes that the VN279QLB has smoother gradients than the XB2783HSU and the Asus allows to push the overdrive a little bit further if one wishes to do so (more overshoot then)
On the other hand its still more expensive than all the other AMVA+ and at least some of them appear to emit a high pitched noise.

Last edited:
I am not sure why NCX rated the asus as the 3rd best of the 1080p VA screens, prad gave it "++" for subjective image quality and "very good" whereas the liyama for "+" for subjective image and "good" rating, also the viewing angles and contrast on the =dead= review pictures seem better on the asus for some reason, maybe the camera being used or monitor settings no idea... But other than "vivid pixel" instead of sharpness, (don't know if that is a problem) 2500hz PWM and the price the Asus seems like the best, am I missing something?

Last edited:
Yes and Prad measures almost the same contrast on both, while the Asus gets 3580:1 in =Dead= review.
Hard to say what is what, both reviews are trustworthy so maybe there is some variance in panel quality, different OSD settings, or a degree of measurement error.
Also =Dead= notes that the VN279QLB has smoother gradients than the XB2783HSU and the Asus allows to push the overdrive a little bit further if one wishes to do so (more overshoot then)
On the other hand its still more expensive than all the other AMVA+ and at least some of them appear to emit a high pitched noise.

Which has the fastest pixels without any overshoot? Again it is very hard to tell from the reviews... All review sites should use the exact same layout as TFTcentral! Using a translator doesn't help as it is hard to know if the review is saying something "is" or "isn't" whatever they are saying!

I dont know exactly.
Prad at least measures some transitions, and there the iiyama beats the Asus, on OD3 they get the TF100 response times, but without the overshoot.
A more detailed table with response times and/or pursuit pics would have been more helpful, but almost no site uses them.
Also the prad reviews were written by different people that might explain some differences in judgement.

Last edited:
Would like to know conclusively which is the best out of the Asus and Liyama....

- Response time without overshoot
- Coating (probably the same but again the reviews are very confusing due to different reviewers + bad translation, I assume the coating is what comes from AUO so is the same but then the pictures and descriptions are different!!
- Best for text viewing (important as 1080p 27" is already not great for text) / sharpness options (if vividpixel makes the image worse on anything except "0"... what does it look like on "0"? can you adjust the sharpness separate of "vividpixel"? is the sharpness on the liyama better?)
- Which has most vibrant colors and highest contrast?
- Also is the glow on blacks and viewing angles the same? Again logic would say "yes" but the review images say "no" !!

The reviews are actually making it a lot more confusing than it should be! The Liyama is £212 and the Asus £267 in the UK. Anyone owned both?

Last edited:
For the 80th time.
-they use the same coating
-they use the same panel (M270HVN020, indicated in the start of =DEAD='s review)
-the iiyama has faster pixel response times and less overshoot
-both have very similar (2.2 gamma target) and excellent colour presets; differences are the result of panel lottery
-text is the same
-glow and contrast differences are the result panel lottery, but 'ideal panels' will be very similar

Colours: Asus vs iiyama
Pixel Response: Asus vs iiyama. =DEAD= does not recommend using OD +2, but it still performs well when the OD is set to Off.

The iiyama =DEAD= reviewed had worse gamma, but he still typed that he can't outright pick between them in his review, so I made the decision based off of PRAD's oscilloscope measurements. Quite a few [H] members received Asus's with issues like poor contrast (even when using the correct Nvidia 0-255 setting via HDMI), as did my friend who bought the iiyama. He exchanged the iiyama for a flawless BenQ EW2740L since it is very similar and because he does not trust Asus's warranty.

Last edited:
Thanks.. Looks like a panel lottery then :( does not look like the asus is worth another £60 over the liyama.

Last edited:
Wow just read through this thread and I really have repeated myself a lot lol :eek:

Last edited:
For the 80th time.
-they use the same coating
-they use the same panel (M270HVN020, indicated in the start of =DEAD='s review)
-the iiyama has faster pixel response times and less overshoot
-both have very similar (2.2 gamma target) and excellent colour presets; differences are the result of panel lottery
-text is the same
-glow and contrast differences are the result panel lottery, but 'ideal panels' will be very similar

Colours: Asus vs iiyama
Pixel Response: Asus vs iiyama. =DEAD= does not recommend using OD +2, but it still performs well when the OD is set to Off.

The iiyama =DEAD= reviewed had worse gamma, but he still typed that he can't outright pick between them in his review, so I made the decision based off of PRAD's oscilloscope measurements. Quite a few [H] members received Asus's with issues like poor contrast (even when using the correct Nvidia 0-255 setting via HDMI), as did my friend who bought the iiyama. He exchanged the iiyama for a flawless BenQ EW2740L since it is very similar and because he does not trust Asus's warranty.

Have you used these 1080p VA monitors yourself? How do you think they compare to good IPS for colors / color vibrancy? If I don't get a 1440p monitor it will be between the iiyama / asus 1080p 27" VA screens or a Dell U2415H, I am having trouble deciding... I don't like dull colors.

Well the 24 iiyama I have - at default settings - only displays the brightest spectrum of colours (like in animation movies) in a vibrant way. The other colours look rather natural but also a bit muted.
Maybe this is accurate like that but I have boosted digital vibrancy by 3-5% and for games I usually push it a little further using the SweetFX vibrance shader, then it looks good enough.
With high contrasting colour like e.g. car headlights, flame against dark backgrounds and neon signs the VA panel is excellent even on default.

Gamma shift prevents VA panels with high sRGB colour space coverage from looking as vibrant as an AHVA/IPS/PLS panel with equally as high coverage, but VA panels have darker blacks and less glow. Matte coatings like the one the Dell U2415 use will reduce the vibrancy and clarity a bit, and its inner black bezel will ruin the perceived black depth and make bleed and glow more obvious, but it will look slightly more vibrant than the best 27" 1080p VA panels, as well as less vibrant than a similarly priced 1200p IPS/PLS like the HP Z24i which has a lighter coating.

Last edited:
Gamma shift prevents VA panels with high sRGB colour space coverage from looking as vibrant as an AHVA/IPS/PLS panel with equally as high coverage, but VA panels have darker blacks and less glow. Matte coatings like the one the Dell U2415 use will reduce the vibrancy and clarity a bit, and its inner black bezel will ruin the perceived black depth and make bleed and glow more obvious, but it will look slightly more vibrant than the best 27" 1080p VA panels, as well as less vibrant than a similarly priced 1200p IPS/PLS like the HP Z24i which has a lighter coating.

Is HP Z24i better than the Dell U2415H then? I want the least matte coating possible.

My TV has a Sony/samsung VA screen + glossy coating, has very vibrant colors and almost no gamma shift etc. But I also had a TV with an AUO panel and those problems were more obvious. (grey shine on blacks and gamma shift etc.)

Trying to read the translation of the prad review for example... WHAT is this supposed to mean... "In the German OSD overdrive option is called awkward "speed upgrade" because we prefer to stay at the British overdrive. Several levels are there not only on and off. After the reset, the overdrive is off." ..... Does that mean there ARE various overdrive options or it is just "on and off" ?! It sounds like Yoda from star wars...

From the review (what I can understand of the almost gibberish translation) it looks like the HP Z24i has a less matte coating than the 2415 but also has worse default colors, worse default gamma (looks quite messed up and no gamma options) and also overdrive which is either "off" and very slow or "on" but has overshoot.... So the Dell is better except the coating, does that sound right?

Last edited:
Well the 24 iiyama I have - at default settings - only displays the brightest spectrum of colours (like in animation movies) in a vibrant way. The other colours look rather natural but also a bit muted.
Maybe this is accurate like that but I have boosted digital vibrancy by 3-5% and for games I usually push it a little further using the SweetFX vibrance shader, then it looks good enough.
With high contrasting colour like e.g. car headlights, flame against dark backgrounds and neon signs the VA panel is excellent even on default.

I noticed that sort of effect with the Eizo foris I tried, for example blacks were very black, but the contrast appeared low because the brighter colors were washed out, deep colors looked ok, but the colors in the middle (that IPS does the best) looked washed out. So a 5000:1 contrast screen but 50% of the time the contrast looked more like about 800:1 depending on what was on the screen. My TV is about 2700:1 but it looked higher contrast than the Eizo foris as the colors were much better.

I noticed that sort of effect with the Eizo foris I tried, for example blacks were very black, but the contrast appeared low because the brighter colors were washed out, deep colors looked ok, but the colors in the middle (that IPS does the best) looked washed out. So a 5000:1 contrast screen but 50% of the time the contrast looked more like about 800:1 depending on what was on the screen. My TV is about 2700:1 but it looked higher contrast than the Eizo foris as the colors were much better.

Contrast only affects black depth, so what you were likely seeing is a difference in gamut coverage. The FG2421 has extremely mediocre gamut coverage.

Take a look at an old comparison ToastyX did between a VA panel and IPS panel: [link]

Contrast only affects black depth, so what you were likely seeing is a difference in gamut coverage. The FG2421 has extremely mediocre gamut coverage.

Take a look at an old comparison ToastyX did between a VA panel and IPS panel: [link]

I would say that more likely the gamma is way off. This is exactly what it does, blacks are where they should be no matter what gamma but having it too low makes the midtone color brightness to skyrocket too fast and make everything washed out. The numbers in Eizo UI are not accurate, 2.2 is not even near 2.2. You need a colorimeter to find the right value, the default calibration is way off.

Hell, even 2.2 is bit too low for my tastes. Movie industry is already moving away from it to about 2.35-2.4 gamma which is favorable for low light viewing enviroment and a good quality VA panel and especially the upcoming OLED works really well with but IPS does not.

In the first post, you list a bunch of monitor reviews, but you don't preface this with any text.

Are these reviews listed just for comparison, or are you suggesting that these models are also recommended, but not the top picks?

This helps for those of us who have poor local availability for the top picks ;)

Some of them were discontinued long ago unfortunately, at least in my country (Australia).

I would say that more likely the gamma is way off. This is exactly what it does, blacks are where they should be no matter what gamma but having it too low makes the midtone color brightness to skyrocket too fast and make everything washed out. The numbers in Eizo UI are not accurate, 2.2 is not even near 2.2. You need a colorimeter to find the right value, the default calibration is way off.

Hell, even 2.2 is bit too low for my tastes. Movie industry is already moving away from it to about 2.35-2.4 gamma which is favorable for low light viewing enviroment and a good quality VA panel and especially the upcoming OLED works really well with but IPS does not.

I tried every gamma setting, one of them looked significantly better than the others cannot remember but it wasn't a number it was "PC" or something. Still the terrible uniformity, massive green tint on one side, bad viewing angles and various other problems with it made me send it back.

Think I may just try a 1080p 27" VA screen as at least it won't have IPS glow, will have decent blacks and games will run well at 1080p! There are 144hz IPS screens out soon, but I don't think I can justify spending all that on another screen with IPS glow! If they had a polarizer I would definitely buy one! There are loads of monitors but very little choice as they are all the same panels with different logos on them.

Last edited:
I tried every gamma setting, one of them looked significantly better than the others cannot remember but it wasn't a number it was "PC" or something. Still the terrible uniformity, massive green tint on one side, bad viewing angles and various other problems with it made me send it back.

Think I may just try a 1080p 27" VA screen as at least it won't have IPS glow, will have decent blacks and games will run well at 1080p! There are 144hz IPS screens out soon, but I don't think I can justify spending all that on another screen with IPS glow! If they had a polarizer I would be definitely buy one! There are loads of monitors but very little choice as they are all the same panels with different logos on them.

Yeah the QC is horrid with these. My first had a dust speck under the AG coating and absolutely horrid cross hatching that were painfully visible. My current one appears to be major-problem free, just two a very slight crosshatch diagonal rows but nothing like the first one had. They are invisible from normal viewing distance and I have to watch the screen 20 centimeters away to spot them. Much better screen than the first one.

If you get a good one this monitor kicks ass but the QC is an embarrassment for a brand like Eizo. I dont give two shits if these panels are factory seconds of ridiculously expensive professional-only screens this is still Eizo, bloody check them for obvious eye bleeding faults! FFS we pay a clear premium for a mere 23.5" 1080p screen compared to competition and in the end all it has going over them is being a true 120hz VA screen, which currently makes it the only choice for VA faithfuls like me if its high refresh rate gaming we want. :mad:

Yeah the QC is horrid with these. My first had a dust speck under the AG coating and absolutely horrid cross hatching that were painfully visible. My current one appears to be major-problem free, just two a very slight crosshatch diagonal rows but nothing like the first one had. They are invisible from normal viewing distance and I have to watch the screen 20 centimeters away to spot them. Much better screen than the first one.

If you get a good one this monitor kicks ass but the QC is an embarrassment for a brand like Eizo. I dont give two shits if these panels are factory seconds of ridiculously expensive professional-only screens this is still Eizo, bloody check them for obvious eye bleeding faults! FFS we pay a clear premium for a mere 23.5" 1080p screen compared to competition and in the end all it has going over them is being a true 120hz VA screen, which currently makes it the only choice for VA faithfuls like me if its high refresh rate gaming we want. :mad:

I would like to see a good panel and see if it is better... due to the lack of other options, but seriously the one I got was crap, within 20 minutes I found about 5 problems and decided it was going back, green tint, really bad colors (not sure if the panel or they are all like that), crosshatching, blobs on screen, white bars at edges, turned itself off etc etc!! NOT good for a manufacturer that is supposed to make high end screens!

Are these reviews listed just for comparison, or are you suggesting that these models are also recommended, but not the top picks?
This helps for those of us who have poor local availability for the top picks ;)

This is the Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread, so I hope your first questions is a rhetorical one :D Most of these monitors are really similar quality wise aside form the Eizo FG2421, 28" monitors and Samsung 750P monitors, the differences have been discussed many times in this thread and you could read the reviews.

---------------------

PRAD gave the S27D590C a very good rated even though all of its overdrive settings suffer from significant overshoot ghosting and has a higher delay than the other 1080p options.

Last edited:
This is the Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread, so I hope your first questions is a rhetorical one :D Most of these monitors are really similar quality wise aside form the Eizo FG2421, 28" monitors and Samsung 750P monitors, the differences have been discussed many times in this thread and you could read the reviews.

---------------------

PRAD gave the S27D590C a very good rated even though all of its overdrive settings suffer from significant overshoot ghosting and has a higher delay than the other 1080p options.

Yes I have read the reviews, and the thread - However... The two top listed models - The BenQ VW2430WH/VW2730 & Iiyama X2483HSU/Ilyama XS2783HSU unavailable in my country. It is still difficult for me to guess your ranking for the number 3, 4, 5 etc. options, but I would guess that it is might be this (but would be good if you could confirm).

E.g. 24"
1. Benq VW2430WH
2. Iiyama 2483HSU
3. Samsung S24C750P
4. Eizo FG2421

E.g. 27"
1. Iiyama XB2783HSU
2. Benq VW2730WH
3. Benq GW2760HS
4. Samsung S27C750P
5. Samsung S27D590C (significant overshoot ghosting)

I was able to find Australian retailers selling the EW2740L when I Google'd "BenQ EW2740L Australia," and its untested sibling, the BL2700HT for <330$. The BenQ and iiyama 24" are considerably better than the other two, which I don't think are worth considering if not desperate. The same applies to the XB2783HSU and EW2740L compared to the others aside from the Asus VN279Q and BL2700HT. All of the monitors I included in this thread are good though, especially compared to monitors like the BenQ EW2440L and Dell S2440L.

Last edited:
I was able to find Australian retailers selling the EW2740L when I Google'd "BenQ EW2740L Australia, "and its untested sibling, the BL2700HT for <330$. The BenQ and iiyama 24" are considerably better than the other two, which I don't think are worth considering if not desperate. The same applies to the XB2783HSU and EW2740L compared to the others aside from the Asus VN279Q and BL2700HT. All of the monitors I included in this thread are good though, especially compared to monitors like the BenQ EW2440L and Dell S2440L.

Two steps ahead of you. I've been looking for a screen for weeks and I've tried every Australian seller listing these models and no EW2740/EW2440 are available in the country (they don't update their websites so the links remain on google). They and the Asus VN279Q were discontinued here in 2013.

It would still be good to know your 3rd, 4th, 5th etc. top picks, for us that will never get our hands on number 1 or 2 :)

The only ones available from your first post are: GW2760HS, S24C750P (VERY limited availability), BenQ VW2235 (A-MVA, 22", looks exactly like VW2430/2740), Eizo FG2421 (VERY expensive), LS27D590CS (Not interested - curved),

Also available, EW2440L (Available but bad reviews), BL2700HT (Uses different panel to GW2760HS).

Last edited:
You should be able to figure out which monitors are better if you read through this thread and the reviews linked. I would try the BL2700HT (from a retailer with a hassle free return policy) since it should perform like the others, and has a height adjustable stand. If that's not acceptable, try out the GW2760HS. There's no point in paying similar prices for inferior products like the Samsung's if not desperate, and these monitors are far from ideal for 6-8 hours of daily reading. 27" 1440p glossy monitors and 27" 1440p monitors with Plasma Deposition Coating are the best for text.

24"
1.) Iiyama XB2483HSU
1.5.) Benq VW2430WH
5.) Samsung S24C750P
10.) Eizo FG2421 (it's a rip off and has horrible quality control)

27"
1.) Iiyama XB2783HSU
1.1.) Benq EW2740L
1.2.) Asus VN279Q
3.) Benq GW2760HS
5.) Samsung S27C750P
6. Samsung S27D590C

The HP Z24i (information and review links) is also a good choice since it has a very light matte coating like the VA panels, higher resolution and offers more screen real estate.

You should be able to figure out which monitors are better if you read through this thread and the reviews linked. I would try the BL2700HT (from a retailer with a hassle free return policy) since it should perform like the others, and has a height adjustable stand. If that's not acceptable, try out the GW2760HS. There's no point in paying similar prices for inferior products like the Samsung's if not desperate, and these monitors are far from ideal for 6-8 hours of daily reading. 27" 1440p glossy monitors and 27" 1440p monitors with Plasma Deposition Coating are the best for text.

24"
1.) Iiyama XB2483HSU
1.5.) Benq VW2430WH
5.) Samsung S24C750P
10.) Eizo FG2421 (it's a rip off and has horrible quality control)

27"
1.) Iiyama XB2783HSU
1.1.) Benq EW2740L
1.2.) Asus VN279Q
3.) Benq GW2760HS
5.) Samsung S27C750P
6. Samsung S27D590C

The HP Z24i (information and review links) is also a good choice since it has a very light matte coating like the VA panels, higher resolution and offers more screen real estate.

NCX and company,

Can explain a bit why you rate the Benq EW2740L over the Asus VN279Q? Is it because of Asus' QC issues?

I initially bought the Samsung S27C750P 2 years ago based on your recommendations but was disappointed because I thought it would be a straight upgrade over the samsung F2380MX which I only brought back due to unbearable ghosting. But my God the colors wow! I'm guessing having the lowest measured black levels(still the case?) and 100% sRGB has something to do with it.

My issues with the 750p are that it does not have that "pop" that the F2380MX had. Also skin tones seem pale in comparison. There's also black crush which I don't remember seeing in the F2380MX as I believe the newer model was fixed? For example in Tomb Raider (2013) right in the first cave there's some rocks on the ground in the shadows that I can't make out but can see them perfectly on my LG 2361V which has amazing shadow detail. I can actually see all of the black squares on Lagom's website with my 750P so that one is really confusing.

How do the new Asus and Benq compare to the F2380MX in terms of pop and vibrancy and is it worth upgrading to from the 750P?

Why do LED panels have trouble achieving higher sRGB vs their CCFL counterparts?

Why do you recommend the HP Envy 23 over the S2415H even though I've read you say the dell was better than the HP? I'm really tempted to try out the HP if I could find a good source. I had good experience with glossy monitor in the past (LG 227WTG) but hated my IPS monitor (Dell 2209wa) for it's grainy coating, terrible contrast and dull picture.

The S2415H was $220 earlier this month and is currently $234 on Dell's website.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=860-BBEM

My local The Source is currently out of stock on the HP (not sure they will be getting more?) as is the HP Store which has it for $199. Not sure which of the other online retailers I should look at.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/prod...content=3250749&utm_term=10790714&swlang=true

I read your review of the LG 27MP35VQ over on wecravegamestoo. It's currently $199 over at Bestbuy. Can somebody explain to me how this monitor can do 4k gaming? I'm really confused by that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBVFoUekNrI&feature=youtu.be&t=22m40s

Can you link me to the bias lighting and light bulbs you use? I would really like to order some.

I can get the Asus locally for $380 but I can't find the EW2740L from anywhere reputable. Bestbuy has the Benq GW2760HS for $250 but really had my eye on the Asus or other Benq which are generally rated higher. :(

http://www.microbytes.com/index.php.../lcd-27in-asus-vn279q-led-5ms-black-16-9.html

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...spx?path=7152a384ded41eb19e036aba47ca3e1een02

This is for PC/Console gaming and I live in Canada if it wasn't apparent btw.

Can explain a bit why you rate the BenQ EW2740L over the Asus VN279Q? Is it because of Asus' QC issues?

The BenQ offers very similar performance and better quality control.

I initially bought the Samsung S27C750P 2 years ago based on your recommendations but was disappointed because I thought it would be a straight upgrade over the Samsung F2380MX which I only brought back due to unbearable ghosting. But my God the colors wow! I'm guessing having the lowest measured black levels (still the case?) and 100% sRGB has something to do with it.

The F2380's can cover almost 100% of the sRGB colour space vs. the 750P's 90%, and the MX's white bezel vastly increases the perceived black depth.

How do the new Asus and Benq compare to the F2380MX in terms of pop and vibrancy and is it worth upgrading to from the 750P?

They should look a bit better since they use lighter coatings and have similar sRGB colour space coverage, but I don't think either are worth spending another 350$ on. Both used to cost 200-300$ depending on sales in Canada, and 2015 versions will likely come out in the new month or two.

Why do LED panels have trouble achieving higher sRGB vs their CCFL counterparts?

Laziness and tech maturity.

Why do you recommend the HP Envy 23 over the S2415H even though I've read you say the dell was better than the HP?

I recommend the Dell over the HP is if the person trying to decide wants a VESA compliant monitor, or if the HP can't be easily returned and exchanged (only Dells can be easily returned and exchanged in some countries).

Can somebody explain to me how this monitor can do 4k gaming? I'm really confused by that one.

It can't, but gpu's can downscale and use DSR (Nvidia) or VSR (AMD)

Can you link me to the bias lighting and light bulbs you use? I would really like to order some.

London Drugs and Home Depot sell Philips 6500k/Daylight 800-2600 lumen lights. Only the 2600 lumen version is bright enough to be used as a biased light with non VA panels and a nice amount of brightness (800-100cdm/2 when only using the bias light). I use a 1000 lumen LIFX as a ceiling light since it can be dimmed, change colours, strobe, ect. The 1600 lumen version of the Philips keeps rooms sufficiently bright, but I prefer to have less glare.

Last edited:
Back