Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

OK, thanks for the info. However, the following review site actually calls a similar model of EW2750ZL "semi-glossy":

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-ew2750zl/

But as there is no definition of what semi-glossy really means in terms of coating lightness, you just may be right. However I am pretty sure it's not the lower pixel density, I used to use one of the earlier BenQ 27" FullHD models (think it was GW2760HS or HM) and it was perfectly fine for my eyes (I just didn't like the response time).

This is the HP coating I meant
https://i.imgur.com/hMJYSlx.jpg

It's strange you had different coating on the iiyama 27'' because I was under the impression AUO always used same coating on all M270HVN panels.
Here they look similar to me, surprisingly even the S27C750P does not appear to have a lighter coating than the other ones here

https://pcmonitors.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/S27C750P-front.jpg
https://pcmonitors.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/GW2760HS-front.jpg
https://pcmonitors.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/EW2740L-front.jpg
https://pcmonitors.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/EW2750ZL-front-off.jpg

Is the info on what panel is actually used with iiyama's 2783 available somewhere?

I could get it from the service menu when I had it with me, but unfortunately did not do it and now it's returnred...stupid me...

Is the info on what panel is actually used with iiyama's 2783 available somewhere?

I could get it from the service menu when I had it with me, but unfortunately did not do it and now it's returnred...stupid me...

The one tested by =Dead= was M270HVN02.0 too bad you didn't check the service menu on yours

https://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2014/04/10/1/37_menu_02_big.jpg

that was 3 years ago though, it's possible they switched to a newer panel version in the meantime

I am now again considering getting the HP S270C that you suggested earlier. It is quite expensive for what it is, but if it is the only option going glossy/semi-glossy I'll probably give it a try. Would there be any info on the panel type somewhere available please?

I am now again considering getting the HP S270C that you suggested earlier. It is quite expensive for what it is, but if it is the only option going glossy/semi-glossy I'll probably give it a try. Would there be any info on the panel type somewhere available please?

It's using a 2015 Samsung SVA panel, similar to the one in the C27F390 you saw, but with less of a curve and different coating
There's a prad.de test here
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2015/test-hp-elitedisplay-s270c-teil7.html

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. Yes, I read the review at prad.de, but didn't find the info on the panel type there...

So I bought the HP S270c... and returned it almost immediately. But thanks to that I am almost sure now what bothers me... it is the coating when it's hard (this HP was very good)...however what causes eye strain for me is pixel inversion issues!!! This S270c had extremely bad pixel inversion, was blinking incredibly on some lagom tests, you could even see the vertival lines when moving your eye horizontally across the screen on a static image.

Thank you, manufacturers - when you cannot tune monitor voltages, better don't sell panels at all!!!!!!

So I just bought a Benq VZ2470H and I must say I am very pleased with it. I tried a few IPS monitors including the Veiwsonic VP2468 but they all had an annoying sheen/glow. None of them were as good as the VZ2470H. I tried the Iiyama x2783hsu as a VA alternative but it isn't a good as the VZ2470H.

The Benq has a newer panel than the x2483hsu-b2 too. The former uses M238HVN01.1 and the latter uses M238HVN01.0 (just like the BenQ GW2470H).

The VZ2470H is not Vesa compatible but I will find a way around that. It has amazing dark blacks and it is very comfortable to look at. I am a programmer and I wanted a something with dark blacks that I could use to write code with. This thing is incredible. The colours are great too.

Last edited:
I acquired the datasheet for panel M315DVR01.0:

https://www.mediafire.com/?snij7f04amr6c4m

(open cell version comes without backlight)

It's the upcoming 1440p, 1800R curved, high refresh rate AMVA panel by AUO and it will have to compete with a very similar Samsung panel (maybe used in the CH711?)

Not much useful info in there but some takeaways:

- native refresh is 120Hz but it supports up to 165Hz timings by default (page 23)
- 3000:1 contrast, again (it's time to bring back the 4000:1+ panels already)
- panel bitdepth is 8-bit, no FRC. This is a step down from the 32'' 8bit+FRC panel used in the Omen 32 for example
- not clear atm whether it is based on AMVA+ or older AMVA technology like the 35'' ultrawide panel

I have been rockin the CF791 for a few days now and its pretty amazing. Totally blows my old X34 away!

Colors, contrast, blacks....this thing is friggin excellent.......not quite OLED, but the best all around gaming & productivity display I have ever used. Its 1500R curve is liciousness too!

Hi,
Does anybody know if BenQ GW2470HE has the same panel as GW2470H does? Are these monitors the same except differences in connectors (D-sub, DVI-D, HDMI vs D-sub, HDMI x 2)? GW2470HE is ~20% cheaper, so I wonder if it has more cut-downs or only connectors which doesn't matter to me. BenQ site does not list GW2470HE at all.
Thanks.

Hi,
Does anybody know if BenQ GW2470HE has the same panel as GW2470H does? Are these monitors the same except differences in connectors (D-sub, DVI-D, HDMI vs D-sub, HDMI x 2)? GW2470HE is ~20% cheaper, so I wonder if it has more cut-downs or only connectors which doesn't matter to me. BenQ site does not list GW2470HE at all.
Thanks.

Yes it should be the same panel.
As far as I know there still only exist 2 versions of the panel - 1.0 bordered and 1.1 borderless
On some sites I checked, the HE is listed with same connections as the H - VGA and 2x HDMI.

Yes it should be the same panel.
As far as I know there still only exist 2 versions of the panel - 1.0 bordered and 1.1 borderless
On some sites I checked, the HE is listed with same connections as the H - VGA and 2x HDMI.
Already bought GW2470HE, but OSD menu says it is GW2470H and like you mentioned it has VGA and 2x HDMI connections. So it seems that the only differences between H and HE are labels on backside and package.
First impressions are good except one stuck light pixel at the bottom.

On iiyama x2483 v1, no problem on lagom inversion, not even one.
On that online game no red trail on overdrive 1-2-3.
I love this monitor, I replace the foot with one from an hp lp1965.

I am currently trying Iiyama XB2783HSU-B1DP comparing side by side with Samsung S27E650C, here are some quick impressions:

-Performancewise ghosting/smearing in dark areas is only a little worse than on the Samsung, but it is more obvious on the Iiyama due to
-gamma settings: Iiyama has way more black crush than Samsung, there is just more black going on in the picture, unfortunately there is no gamma or black level setting on the Iiyama
-otherwise overdrive and response is better on the iiyama, less trailiing, while even in the highest setting the overshoot is very mild.
-Iiyama has better contrast which is noticable in dark images, but Iiyama still often shows less detail in them due to black crush
-some grey shades have a weird reddish/bronze shimmer to them
-backlight of Iiyama appears somewhat brighter or comes more through white and lighter shades.
-worst thing and the reason why I will return it: Bad grey uniformity and strong DSE on lighter shades, which was quite noticable and annoying in some games. I hope this is just panel lottery.
-blue gamma in lagom test is way too high as discussed earlier in here
-only overclockable to 67hz
-somewhat more pronounced corner glow

I alredy tried to find out panel version, but I have no idea how to get into the service menu. Also there is no manufacturing date on the back.

Without the ugly DSE, I would have kept the Iiyama, also because I was looking for a complete flicker free screen, which I can run at 0 brightness. Before I get another unit, I might try out the Benq EW2775ZH though.

Thanks for comparison
Did you try if custom timings work for higher refresh rates?
75hz:
Front porch: 44/4
Sync width: 22/5
Total px: 2004/1092

The DSE is either down to panel lottery, or an issue with that panel version.
Unless they changed the combination the service menu should be accessible by holding Enter and Exit buttons while turning the monitor on, then press Auto button to get into menu and see panel and date (M270HVN---something).

Ah thanks, that worked.

Panel is M270HVN02 0 V1.40 2015-04-07

overclock gets up to 76Hz now, but does it mess with the image quality somehow when I change the timings to those values?

Ah thanks, that worked.

Panel is M270HVN02 0 V1.40 2015-04-07

overclock gets up to 76Hz now, but does it mess with the image quality somehow when I change the timings to those values?

It doesn't mess with image on the 24'' (connected via DVI), may be different in your case. You could try a different cable connection, or further reduced timings (40/3, 20/4, 1990/1090)
M270HVN02.0 is the older panel, but it is the only bordered panel that is still being manufactured. 2.1 and 2.2 were discontinued. M270HVN02.3 is the newest and borderless version so the BenQ should be using it.
I don't believe they made a newer version of the panel since 2015, at least panelook lists none.

Last edited:
Well, I haven't spotted any noticable difference via DP so far either.

Benq was 150€ here in Germany recently and I missed it, damn.

As said I managed overclock the Iiyama to 76hz with manual timing settings (at least it says so in nvidia videos setting), but I just saw that in the ufo blur test for example it still just shows 67hz. Is it this normal? I am a total noob for monitor overclocking. Guess that I am not really getting 76hz?

I also tried a Benq EW2775ZH today,quickly compared it the Iiyama and it perfomed pretty much as I expected.

Contrast and blacks are a better on the Benq, I read that it hits 3500-4000:1 in some reviews.

I also liked the colors a little bit more

but yeah pixel repsonse in dark transitions tested in Skyrim and Witcher 3 is quite a lot worse on the Benq, AMA Premium setting can't even closely keep up with Iiyamas highest OD setting, while even having noticable more overshoot.

grey uniformity and DSE is also present on the Benq but not as strong as on the Iiyama, it is an acceptable amount, but still worse than on my Samsung.

Well, overall Benq might be the better screen, but I will stick to Iiyama now due to its balanced overdrive and superior pixel response.

It should show 76Hz. If it's skipping frames, the Ufo will not move from left to right in a smooth fashion but it will look a bit stuttery.

Best to use Chrome for these tests and then shoot a photo of the frameskipping test page. :snaphappy:

http://i.imgur.com/xRkFceW.jpg

Shame about the overdrive on the BenQ. It is such a neglected aspect of many displays.
I've read enough reviews/measurements now and the only companies that appear to put consistently good Overdrive into their monitors are Asus and iiyama.

Chrome somehow showed me 60fps, I then tried IE 67fps, but now I downloaded Opera and there it finally shows 76hz, also gladly no frame skipping in camera test (y)

I also considered the Asus VN279QLB due to the many overdrive steps, but it seems to be quite more expensive here, has less contrast, but more QC control issues.

Price of the Predator XZ271 is also only 340€ atm, this is really attractive for VA 144hz Freesync, but so many customer reviews report of clouding issues which is the deal breaker for me.

I'm in the market for a VA (24-27" @ 1920x1080) and am having a tough time finding the right one. I was going to go with the BenQ GW2470H, until I read all the comments (and associated video) in this thread. I can't stand TN displays and IPS glow annoys me immensely. However, the "muddy" response of the GW2470H seems unreasonable.

The OP suggests 3 displays in the 24" segment. The aforementioned GW2470H, along with the a BenQ from their design range, the VW2430WH, and finally the iiyama X2483HSU.

Now, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the VW2430WH never existed. If it did, it certainly isn't in any of the databases I could find. I'm going to assume it's the VW2430H, without the W. Anyway, that monitor has long since been discontinued and I wasn't able to find anyone with stock left in Europe (or US Amazon.com).

The B1 version of the iiyama seems to have received a lot more positive reviews in this thread than the B2, which appears is all that's left these days.

That got me going down the rabbit hole of display panels. It's been a while...

Pretty much everything I found appears on this thread already, except for one thing: The difference between the two AUO 24" panels still in production does NOT seem limited to edge-to-edge (borderless) or not: According to the datasheets provided by AUO, the M238HVN01.0 version has a stated pixel response time that's about a third higher (i.e. slower) than the 01.1 version.

In terms of price, all the displays based on these two panels are fairly close around here, with the GW2470H sitting about 20% below the rest.

The 01.0 seems like it's just not a very good display. It has the slowest pixel response of any AUO 24" class VA panel of the past 6+ years and really no redeeming features. Combing back over this thread (all 23 pages), it seems that most of the criticism is leveled at displays featuring the 01.0 panel. BenQ appear to have 3 displays with the 01.1 panel: VZ2470H, BL2420Z, and EW2440Z. The last one isn't available locally (Asia-Pacific region only?) and the BL doesn't have an HDMI port. Are there any good reviews of the VZ2470H out there? I wasn't able to find any with good input lag testing (which is listed on displayspecifications.com as being 10x that of most displays with VA panels from AUO) or pixel-transition testing.

AUO was supposed to debut new two new 24" FHD VA panels in the second half of 2016 (M238HVN01.5/6), but I haven't seen or heard anything about them. One of them was supposed to feature a QLED backlight. Anyone know if anything is coming out soon?

Does Samsung have a more recent VA panel in the 24" class?

OP is outdated, NCX is not updating this thread anymore.

I didn't notice before that 1.0 and 1.1 panel have different response time specs. But it's true I acquired both datasheets and they are indeed very different.
Here they are these contain more detailed response time tables than the one you see on panelook:
https://www.mediafire.com/?m8ge0wudhtxoc2y
However in the revision records you can see they changed reponse time specs a few times and also the 1.1 datasheet isn't final spec.

So if this correct the borderless is the preferrable panel. Of the ones with 1.0 panel, the iiyama seems to have the best overdrive though.
Most of the VA monitors are BenQ and they often don't tune the OD impulse finely enough. You have Advanced Motion Acceleration - AMA off, high and premium. Off is almost always too slow and Premium has immense amount of overshoot most of the time so you're at the mercy of the High setting.
Tomshardware has a review of the VZ, you probably read it already (yes their input lag method is very strange and different) The EW has a review somewhere on playwares, right it really seems to be hard to get outside Asia. It's very uncommon for a small fullHD monitor to have any amount of noticeable input lag.

Here is a list of 24'' VA monitors from back in September:
https://hardforum.com/threads/best-...-the-1st-post.1803228/page-21#post-1042536164
So there is also the Wortmann Terra in Europe with the borderless panel, no idea how good it is. I believe it has 2 overdrive settings.
Most recent Samsung models haven't changed for now, their upcoming displays all appear to have higher resolutions.

AUO was supposed to debut new two new 24" FHD VA panels in the second half of 2016 (M238HVN01.5/6), but I haven't seen or heard anything about them. One of them was supposed to feature a QLED backlight. Anyone know if anything is coming out soon?

This is very interesting, I see they are listed on Tftcentral db 90% ntsc gamut on the 1.6 panel. Do you have any more info? Haven't read of any new upcoming monitors, but news on these smaller displays is often not reported. There is only one new iiyama monitor I found (XB2472HSUC-B1) it appears to use the slow InnoLux panel again.

Last edited:
This is very interesting, I see they are listed on Tftcentral db 90% ntsc gamut on the 1.6 panel. Do you have any more info? Haven't read of any new upcoming monitors, but news on these smaller displays is often not reported. There is only one new iiyama monitor I found (XB2472HSUC-B1) it appears to use the slow InnoLux panel again.

Don't really have any info on any updates from AUO. As for new monitors, there are a few existing and upcoming from BenQ that I cannot find a panel for, both in 24" and 27" (AUO was supposed to get updated 27" panels as well). Full HD displays clearly aren't driving margins, so I can understand why that's not where the new technology is pushed first, but we can at least hope for some trickle-down (basically take their DVR0* or DVN VA process and move it over to flat 24 and 27 inch panels - and replacing the backlight with a QLED is fairly trivial).

For some reason the InnoLux-based displays tend to be more expensive than the AUO ones. Not sure what features justify that.

Samsung C24FG70 but it's very particular, it's curve and 144hz, and around 400€

Fairly expensive (IMHO) for a 24" monitor. I'm also not thrilled about the small radius of curvature (1800 mm). I saw one of the 27" 4000 mm curvature Samsung displays a while back and that looked absolutely stunning. They seem hard to get at this point, though... The S27D590C, for example, is only available from the shadiest of suppliers around here. The very similar Dell SE2716H is a lot easier to get. I'd love to know what panel is in that Dell. It's a Samsung and given the timing of its release, it's tempting to think that it features the same panel as the 590C. Dell's user manual states 6bit+frc, though, which isn't what Samsung claims for the 590C.

Anyone have any experience with the Dell or know of a review that actually contains useful information?

Here in Italy I can still see the S27D590C listed on Amazon for ~Eur 330.

Talking of 4K displays, for now doesn't seem that in the VA-field there are so many enticing propositions available:

- the Innolux-based 32" AOC and Philips have received middling reviews at best, due largely to the apparently quite awful matte-coating that the panel uses
- the Philips 40" monster, while sporting a nice glossy panel and delivering a compelling enough image, is totally unsuitable for gaming

The only interesting options seems to be found in the UW range, with the Samsung C34F791, the Microboard M340CLZ and its Asus upcoming sibling the MX34VQ. But of course none of them is technically a 4K display.

I am very curious about the performance of the upcoming Samsung VA 27 1440p. If it only had 100hz+ it would be my perfect monitor, at least on paper.

Stopped by the only store around that actually has any displays... A bank of maybe 4x4 monitors, mostly IPS. One thing I noted was that the VA panels easy to spot from a distance - they were considerably more yellow/green in the whites. Is that normal?

I see that aoc is gonna be releasing an mva 40 inch curved 4k monitor,too bad there are barely any va 4k monitors:(.

I bet it sports the same panel as the Philips, even pricing looks basically the same. If that's the case, it won't be a gaming monitor at all unfortunately..

Should be this one:
I've stumbled into this one from AOC: http://us.aoc.com/product_feature.php?id=84

Not available in Europe unfortunately (declared response time is 1ms higher than the Philips, but I'd be surprised if the MVA panel is different), anyone got more news on it?

Last edited:
I've stumbled into this one from AOC: http://us.aoc.com/product_feature.php?id=84

Not available in Europe unfortunately (declared response time is 1ms higher than the Philips, but I'd be surprised if the MVA panel is different), anyone got more news on it?

AOC are extremely US-centric, even for a US company. Quite a lot of their displays never make it across the pond. I was looking into the AOC C2783FQ as my next monitor (very good reviews from Tom's), but it's not available here.

Last edited:
After taking a bit of a break I'm back looking for a new monitor... the old one takes 5-10 minutes to warm up (and even then it's a bad monitor, hardly worth the wait).

It just seems like a horrible time to shop for a 24-27 inch FHD VA display. All the new advances are (of course) put in the high end of the market where the margins are better, but even when they do trickle down to a smallish FHD display, the implementation seems botched (cf. the Y27G or CFG70). AUO really need to get their act together and start pushing Samsung on VA panels.

Hey everyone!
I was not logged for quite some time and behold - 10 pages of this topic were written !
Just a report - my iiyama xb2483hsu b2 is still good. Uniforimity has not appeared. No dead/stuck pixels. all good.

Anything better appeared since I was gone? Guess oled is not properly out yet

Back