Best Reviewed A-MVA Monitor Thread: Read the 1st Post

Out of all the Benq VA monitors, which one is the best one and is also Vesa compatible?

Edit:

I have just realised that I have been using a VA panel for over 10 years! VP191s. I always thought it was a TN. No wonder it was much better than everything else in 2005.

I recently tried an IPS monitor - I don't know if it was a bad one, but the sheen was so appalling. A ten year old VA panel looks much better than it and better than all the recent TN ones I use at work. How can things not improve after ten years?

Also I've just noticed Samsung's official specifications page and retailers are listing the C24FG70 as having 75 x 75 mm VESA, which it looked like it wasn't going to have.

Really hope this gets into Canadian retailers this month, I've held off playing some games for months to experience them on the C24FG70. SO many games are releasing in the next 60 days, it would be nice to have it in time.

It's already available for preorder on Amazon.com and B&H US.
Nothing on Amazon.ca :(

Last edited:
It means that you don't let the market dictate your taste, which monitor did you preorder?

No, it means that there is nothing in the market if you want a serious VA panel that can to proper gaming. I'm also waiting on the 34" to see how it fares... and I'm also considering the 24" although I do not want to go smaller than 27". But If I am to spend money on a monitor it has to be a good one.

Yes the upcoming monitors will include the first 1440 high VA gaming monitors that I am aware of, with v-sync and I'm holding out hope that they mfg a g-sync variant since I am in the nvidia camp. I won't be forced into amd gpus. I don't upgrade gpus that often and usually drop a lot of money on sli, perhaps dual 1080ti this time. I will be very disappointed if one of the 1440 high VA monitor lines don't offer a g-sync model. I haven't heard anything about any of them having it, especially the samsungs that I am interested in.
I was very happy to hear that a few manufactures are going to make 1440high gaming VAs. I was very interested in the eizo at the time but the panel lottery, color issues, and being 1080p turned me off. They also lack g-sync/variable hz option. Playing a few isometric games on my zone lit/FALD VA tv has made it painful to go back to 860:1 and 950:1 contrast ratio IPS and TN desktop monitors with .12 to .14 black depth. My TV in FALD dark mode, is 0.0038 fL for black, and a 8157:1 contrast ratio. FALD off it is 0.017 fL, 5882:1 contrast ratio. Even without FALD, if these VA monitors are 2800 - 3000:1 contrast ratio max then they should get around .04 black depth. The eizo fg2421 is 4845:1 contrast ratio and .03 black depth for comparison. The HDR premium label standard is .05 black depth.

Every monitor has trade-offs so in order for these to be "a good one" to me they will have to not be a bad panel lottery or have bugs and performance issues. Hopefully their quoted 4ms response time isn't too much higher in real world testing and will be paired with a good overdrive implementation.

The pg279q rog swift IPS response time ranges from 5.2ms average at 144fps-hz, 6.5 average at 100fps-hz, to 8.5ms average at 60fps-hz but has a very good overdrive implementation which is said to compensate on the 5.2ms average end vs the TN swift at 2.9 ms average at any hz for comparison. Those are averages, so it's actually 7.4 - 8.5 - 9.5 at 60hz , 6.2 - 6.5 - 6.9 at 100hz, 5.0 - 5.2 - 5.4 at 144hz. On the TN swift it's 1.0 - 2.9 - 4.4 but it has a bit more overshoot so it might equal out at 144fps-hz on the ips. The problem there is that on that ips the refresh ranges are tied to the hz and a lot of people seem to use g-sync as a "fix" for running lower frame rates. Even if you dial in your graphics settings to 100fps-hz on that 2560 x 1440 resolution's gpu demands, you will probably be playing all over a 70fps-hz up to 160fps-hz(or max hz) frame rate graph dynamically so that hz would still be in the 60 - 100 range 2/3 of the time. Anyway, if the new VA monitors accomplish appreciable blur reduction up to 120hz (usually equates to 50% blur reduction and 2:1 motion def increase) or so with a good overdrive implementation it will still be good enough for me to bite. I can always cap the frame rate at 120hz or so so it doesn't go back to being more blurry or ghosting on the high end of a 100fps-hz average frame rate graph. That will allow me to dial in 100fps-hz average on the most demanding games on very high or very high+ (custom) settings if necessary and still have a fps-hz graph with a constant "vibrating" blur of 0% - 40% - 50% blur reduction and 1:1 - 5:3 - 2:1 motion def and path articulation increase at 70 - 100 - 120 fps/hz.

I am waiting on reviews from forum members and tft central on the 34" 3400 x 1440 and 27" 2560 x1440 165hz - 200hz VAs. I'm also curious about samsung's 3840 x 1080 32:9.

Last edited:
Take this with a grain of salt since it's directly from Samsung, but at least it's clear they're paying attention to what people want, at least what I want.

It's a motion blur comparison of the BenQ XL2430T, Samsung C24FG70, and I believe the Lenovo Y27.
I timestamped it to the important bit:

I just bought the Acer XZ271 which is a VA Freesync 144hz 1080p 27" monitor it uses the same panel as the Lenovo Y27f and the upcoming 27" Samsung. I got it for £230 including delivery from Here.

Some pictures Here for anyone interested. My Nexus 4 camera is not that good sorry.

So far I like the colours and the contrast. There is a tiny bit of clouding at the bottom. There is some trailing on blur busters ghosting test especially on dark background. Games and movies look great so far but I have barely used it. The 2 x 7 watt speakers are clear and loud enough to be usable.

Last edited:
That's one hell of a good price, even counting the budget 27" 144hz TN models.
Does Ebuyer ship to other EU countries? The price is even better considering how Brexit slightly weakend the GBP

Yes I think the price is really good. I don't think they ship outside UK normally but worth asking.

I really love this monitor it's great. Doom is blowing me away.

prava -
TFTCentral ‏@TFTCentral Oct 2
Confirmation that the Acer Predator Z271 is using a Samsung LTM270HP02 SVA panel.

(Z271 is the Gsync version XZ271 Freesync)

Last edited:
The Lenovo Y27 was a disappointment (as you can see in the video I just posted), same as all the high hz Acer VA's so far. I doubt the XZ271 fares any better when it comes to blur.
Unless Acer suddenly learned how to implement overdrive properly.

The Lenovo Y27 was a disappointment (as you can see in the video I just posted), same as all the high hz Acer VA's so far. I doubt the XZ271 fares any better when it comes to blur.

The Y27F doesn't feature a strobing mode and VAs are inherently going to smear slightly on the black text without it. But without strobing it does allow for adaptive sync being active. If it's the Y27G with ULMB I see your point - but then why would they give monitor A a "(blur reduction on)" and not monitor C?

They are probably claiming 1ms g2g the same way Eizo did with the FG2421, with strobing on. Even if they made a VA panel with none of the slow black transitions and 1m g2g, sample and hold alone should still make it be perceived as less smooth than the strobed monitor A.

So, though the Samsung does look great and like it will be a TN killer with strobing enabled, I don't think it's entirely fair to compare it strobed to a comparable 230£ 27" monitor with no strobing when the Samsung inherently can't enable adaptive sync and maintain this smoothness.

Last edited:

Yes I watched the video the Acer is much better than the Lenovo if that is accurate but not as good as the Samsung. They could have used any settings they liked though in that video and also the center monitor would always look better to someone sitting in the middle where they put the chair. The Samsung has a better spec and I expect it to be better for sure. The price difference will be quite a lot though.

The Y27F doesn't feature a strobing mode and VAs are inherently going to smear slightly on the black text without it. But without strobing it does allow for adaptive sync being active. If it's the Y27G with ULMB I see your point - but then why would they give monitor A a "(blur reduction on)" and not monitor C?

They are probably claiming 1ms g2g the same way Eizo did with the FG2421, with strobing on. Even if they made a VA panel with none of the slow black transitions and 1m g2g, sample and hold alone should still make it be perceived as less smooth than the strobed monitor A.

So, though the Samsung does look great and like it will be a TN killer with strobing enabled, I don't think it's entirely fair to compare it strobed to a comparable 230£ 27" monitor with no strobing when the Samsung inherently can't enable adaptive sync and maintain this smoothness.
You're right.

I do hope we see some more tests in reviews soon, without strobing to see how well the Samsung performs there.
Someone posted about their Y27 on page 19 compared to their FG2421 and it wasn't positive.

I'm hoping the C24FG70 will be as good or better than the FG2421, it's the only thing since the release of the FG2421 that looks like it even has a chance of beating it.
What we need is properly implemented overdrive.

On a side note, that TN Monitor A is another monitor with poorly implemented,... actually straight up broken overdrive.
It's super aggressive and has overshoot, BenQ always fails to deliver, like nearly everyone else.

Yes I watched the video the Acer is much better than the Lenovo if that is accurate but not as good as the Samsung. They could have used any settings they liked though in that video and also the center monitor would always look better to someone sitting in the middle where they put the chair. The Samsung has a better spec and I expect it to be better for sure. The price difference will be quite a lot though.

I'd hope the Acer is at least better than the Lenovo since I believe these are Lenovo's first monitors, but I've yet to see it and their track record doesn't leave me optimistic.

You're right.

I do hope we see some more tests in reviews soon, without strobing to see how well the Samsung performs there.
Someone posted about their Y27 on page 19 compared to their FG2421 and it wasn't positive.

I'm hoping the C24FG70 will be as good or better than the FG2421, it's the only thing since the release of the FG2421 that looks like it even has a chance of beating it.
What we need is properly implemented overdrive.

On a side note, that TN Monitor A is another monitor with poorly implemented,... actually straight up broken overdrive.
It's super aggressive and has overshoot, BenQ always fails to deliver, like nearly everyone else.

As a FG2421 replacement with 144hz, additional adaptive sync, a lower initial MSRP and a 27" version, it looks good so far.
Lower contrast though and maybe some clouding issues, although the FG2421 had its own problems.

I like how they're focusing on a proper strobing function first, with adaptive sync second. A monitor with superior image quality and motion performance regardless of which graphics card vendor you chose.

Here is Acer Z271 review:
Acer Predator Z271 Review - TFTCentral

Response times are pretty good for VA at OD Normal, the black to white rise time is slightly elevated as seems to be often the case with the Samsung panels. Dark transitions are excellent though. :)
I expect it to be even more finetuned in Samsung's own CFG70 series, and also they will have strobing. (The Z271 lacks ULMB despite having G-sync which sucks)
It's AUO's turn now to improve the speed of their panels or they'll get into trouble.

Last edited:
Here is Acer Z271 review:
Acer Predator Z271 Review - TFTCentral

Response times are pretty good for VA at OD Normal, the black to white rise time is slightly elevated as seems to be often the case with the Samsung panels. Dark transitions are excellent though. :)
I expect it to be even more finetuned in Samsung's own CFG70 series, and also they will have strobing. (The Z271 lacks ULMB despite having G-sync which sucks)
It's AUO's turn now to improve the speed of their panels or they'll get into trouble.

Yes was interesting review I liked how 144hz is now usable on VA and that their overdrive was pretty good which I had noticed on the ZX271. I tried their calibrated colour settings and it looks better for me also. I don't think the Gsync version is worth double the price at 1080p where tearing is not a problem at high FPS. I think the ZX271 is a great budget choice compared to similar priced TN panels.

Average transitions consistently fast enough for 144hz and the black transition weakness almost eliminated?
That is super impressive, for both the value of the XZ271 and the potential of Samsung's own upcoming monitors with strobing. TN watch out!

Average transitions consistently fast enough for 144hz and the black transition weakness almost eliminated?
That is super impressive, for both the value of the XZ271 and the potential of Samsung's own upcoming monitors with strobing. TN watch out!

If only EBUYER would send to Spain :( At 230GBP I'd get one in a heartbeat!!!

Whoa, it's actually happening.
There's now more than 1 good high hz VA monitor, there are 2, and soon 3.

Samsung's first attempts at high refresh rate VA are looking good, while AUO has been wasting everyone's time for years and will probably continue to.
It sucks that it took Samsung this long, but at least they weren't filling the market with trash tier panels.

So this is what not being disappointed feels like, I could get used to this.

Another Acer Z271 review
Acer Z271bmiphz – 144 Hz på VA-panel - Test

They have some pursuit photos on page 4

v1VBewU.jpg

I'm really puzzled by Acer's choice to not include the ULMB mode when Samsung themselves are focusing on the strobing mode in the marketing of their 24" and 27". Also the 7000kr SE pricetag seems extremely high.

It's certainly strange, I believe the Lenovo Y27g also comes without ULMB. Maybe Samsung is cockblocking the G-Sync module so they can push their own strobing method. :p

I'm really puzzled by Acer's choice to not include the ULMB mode when Samsung themselves are focusing on the strobing mode in the marketing of their 24" and 27". Also the 7000kr SE pricetag seems extremely high.
Maybe because Acer have realised that ULMB on slow VA panel does not really help?

If you look at picture from Z35, you can clearly see quite a trail behind moving object even with ULMB on - and this is even not dark background. On dark background VA slow from-black transitions make trails even more visible so ULMB becomes kind of pointless.

ULMB actually completely hides the slow VA transitions (black trailing) on the Acer Z35. This was discussed in the Tftcentral review. What the pic shows is the crosstalk from the inverse ghosting, because the Overdrive impulse is too strong when ULMB is enabled.
The panel used in the Acer Z271 responds better to the Overdrive impulse and doesn't have the issue with black trailing in the first place (only with OD Off there is black trailing)
They took the OD a tad too far at normal, so it is already starting to display a faint dark blue trail of inverse ghosting against dark backgrounds. It remains to be seen whether Samsungs monitors have better fine-tuning in that regard.

HpioKoo.png

Last edited:
ULMB actually completely hides the slow VA transitions (black trailing) on the Acer Z35. This was discussed in the Tftcentral review. What the pic shows is the crosstalk from the inverse ghosting, because the Overdrive impulse is too strong when ULMB is enabled.

I had Z35 and it does not hide anything. All it does it trail "breaks down" into series of still weird "rainbow"-tinted afterimages. I believe its visible to extent even on this UFO test as colored afterimage (but again, its entirely different and lot more visible deal on black backgrounds). I believe that's because if trail is longer than length of strobe, it can't remove the extra tail - all it can do is break it down.

Z271 does look quite better, though this blueish trail still here.

Reactions: igluk
like this
Can someone please recommend a VA with the lightest coating? 24 or 27. No other requirements, just the coating.

Thanks a lot

Can someone please recommend a VA with the lightest coating? 24 or 27. No other requirements, just the coating.

Thanks a lot

HP s270c and Pavilion 27c are the only with glossy+AR coating
all others are light AG

is the cfg70 the besty va monitor? is that why noone s posting on here?

There's a thread over at overclock.net. It has some issue with purple overdrive artifacts and also some bugs with FreeSync. Brightness is locked to max when strobing is enabled.
Other than that it appears to be a good display.

HP s270c and Pavilion 27c are the only with glossy+AR coating
all others are light AG

There's a thread over at overclock.net. It has some issue with purple overdrive artifacts and also some bugs with FreeSync. Brightness is locked to max when strobing is enabled.
Other than that it appears to be a good display.
link to thread?

Thanks a lot for your answer, igluk. However not sure I'll be getting any of those 2 - one seems to be an all in one PC, the other is a presentation monitor with big speakers. Of course I'll give it another thought if there's no other option.

The thing is I do not really need a glossy or even semi-glossy screen, but the coating should still be light. I was OK with some of the coatings VA panels have to offer - Benq 2760HS for instance, but this one had an acceptable response time when I last tried it several years back; another one quite OK was iiyama's 2483hsu. I was fine when I first saw it at a friend of mine, but unfortunately the piece I bought for myself somehow bothers me, have no idea why this is. Now I bought the 2783hsu dp and I think it has a more grainy coating than the 2483 because I feel real pain in the eyes when using it (and I know very well this pain usually comes from the coating).

I wonder - does anybody know what coating is found on Samsung C27F390F? And if someone has it - what are the overall impressions?

Thanks!

Thank you very much for this! Will give it a try then.

Looks like Samsung S27C750P could be my holy grail (semi-glossy screen), but they don't sell them anymore :( I don't see any direct successor to this monitor.

So I had a chance to see the Samsung C27F390F in a shop nearby and it's a no-go. I'm starting to feel the well-known eye pain within several minutes. It's not bad at all, but it's there.

Would there be a photo or information on the coating of the following two please?
Benq BL2700HT
Benq EW2775ZH

Another option is going 4k because these usually have lighter coating. I don't want to, it means upgrading my PC or perhaps buying a new one, but there may be no other option. :(

Would there be a photo or information on the coating of the following two please?
Benq BL2700HT
Benq EW2775ZH

No info but they use one of the 27'' AUO panels so there's a good chance it will be the same coating as the XB2783HSU-B1DP.
Maybe it's the lower pixel density that causes you problems, when the pixel grid is enlarged it will make the picture look dirtier.
AUO stopped with the semi glossy panels back in 2012-2013. Samsung is only using in-house SVA panels now.
After they killed off cPVA they moved to AUO AMVA for a while (e.g. S27C750P), but since 2015 they use their own VA panels again.
You won't find anything semi/almost glossy at 1080p other than the HPs (and only the overpriced s270c is available outside of USA)

Last edited:
Back