Best repartitioning software?

adri1456

Gawd
I downloaded a (supposedly free) repartioning software to make the C: drive on my cousin's computer bigger (for some reason, the c: drive was set at 16gb, and the rest was for the d: drive [out of 60gb] and the d: drive is only using 1gb). When I was ready to reboot to do the operation, it said that it couldn't do that with the trial version.
416c1fca67f5b.gif

Is there any (trial) software (that lets me do that once) that will let me repartition for free? I don't want to spend $50 to do something that I'll do once (if I have to install a key also).

I don't want to erase 5 hours of spyware and virus removal just to reinstall windows and their apps.

ultimate boot cd has some partitioning tools, one is called partition resizer but it can only do fat partitions, not ntfs. i'm not sure if any of the other included tools can do ntfs

tim_m said:
ultimate boot cd has some partitioning tools, one is called partition resizer but it can only do fat partitions, not ntfs. i'm not sure if any of the other included tools can do ntfs
I didn't check the partition type, but I think its NTFS (I don't want to bother them just to check that. Either I'll get one that will do NTFS, then stop by their house).

system partitions are tricky
if its any other partition you can employ diskpart.exe (a free windows commandline tool) to grow a partition into unallocated space (provided it doesnt have a pagefile on it)

versions of Partition Resizer later than v1.3.3 will move but not resize NTFS

Id really recommend Partition Magic which is not freeware
as a note, almost every issue Ive ever seen or experienced with it has come about by doing multiple tasks at the same time, so just be patient and do one at a time, with as many reboots as necessary, avoid the merge option, and make those rescue disks

I guess my question at this point is, why in the Hell do you need a System Partition Larger than 16GB?

And

are you aware you can mount an NTFS partition as a folder on another partition?

Yep, partition magic is the way to go. It also works with SATA drives from within the DOS version.

as a note a system partition will be the one containing the ntldr (NT as in NT\W2K\XP loader)
the "bootstrap" to start the OS and the boot.ini file (instructions on which partition to boot to)
a system partition in a single install should be the boot partition, but that can change in a dual boot or with misadventure :p

to verify which partition is your system partition
Start > Run > (type) diskmgmt.msc (enter)
(for NT\W2K\XP\W2K3)

NAME ( C: )
19.07 GB NTFS
Healthy (System)

The only thing to look out for with PartitionMagic is the sizing of the MFT. Whenever I have used PM, it has always made the MFT way too small which can severely hinder performance of the drive. I use Diskeeper in conjunction with PartitionMagic to resize and perform boot time defragmentation on the MFT.

i know the knoppix live disc can do all the file formats

Back