Best remote login software for CentOS?

Mopower

Gawd
I have a server with CentOS installed and would like to be able to remote access it from a computer on the same network. I am a Linux novice so the easier the better. I use Logmein for my PC's but I couldn't find a solution from them that didn't involve a bunch of command line usage. Any solutions for someone that knows basically nothing about Linux?

ssh is probably all you need for most tasks, but for the few things that require a GUI, VNC will get you there. xrdp is an option, but it's just a shim that translates a VNC session into a RDP-compatible one.

If you have an X server on the client you could use X forwarding over SSH. No need for fancy remote login software.

If you have an X server on the client you could use X forwarding over SSH. No need for fancy remote login software.

If yoi are sshing from windows youll have to have an xserver running on windows like xming or something. I have used putty with xming and it does work fairly well

I have a server with CentOS installed and would like to be able to remote access it from a computer on the same network. I am a Linux novice so the easier the better. I use Logmein for my PC's but I couldn't find a solution from them that didn't involve a bunch of command line usage. Any solutions for someone that knows basically nothing about Linux?

I think SSH is pretty much the standard.

If you want a desktop gui, try NX server/client. I find the responsiveness MUCH better than vnc or remote x forwarding.

teamviewer. you can even access it from your phone. (not 100% if it works on cent. but they have a rpm and deb build that work great in mint)

I use my kindle to propagate my SABnzbd/media server while I'm away.

I never understood why anyone would need anything more than SSH. It's Linux...just SSH to the server and do what needs to be done in the command line. I guess I don't use the GUI enough to ever bother with creating a RDP type access to my Linux machine.

Back