Best rear venting 970?

Boyiee

Limp Gawd
I have a positive pressure case and am looking for the best rear venting 970 to run 3440x1440 21:9.

I am big on noise, and since I may need to run a sli setup due to the resolution, I'm really concerned about getting the best bang for my buck. A reference 970 would be fantastic, but because of temps and noise, would I be better off just going with a reference 980 instead?

edit: as a note, there is no side fan to cool the card(s).

Will that ship to USA? And isn't that something like $500? Was hoping for a better pricepoint.

At this point I'm wondering if its worth foregoing the possible temperature issues and grabbing a strix anyway, or just bumping up to the 980.

edit: Just came across this thread and according to it temps will be fine, so its just a matter of 970 or 980, so I'll probably go 970.

Last edited:
In terms of commonly available the MSI GTX 970 OCV1 seems like the best in terms of cooler and board design.

The board design on the surface looks like the reference 980 design. The cooler on the surface looks like the reference 980 cooler as well just with different materials, of course no one's actually seen the inside to know if the contact base plate (triple heatpipe?) and finned portion is actually the same. Some pictures have soon it does have the same top plate covering the board (and VRMs, VRAM) as the reference 980 as well. Of course the material change likely means worse sound damping and related properties but this is seems like as close as you can get commonly.

There is a PNY 970 but I've heard mixed things. Some say it's great, others have said the fan is loud.

Back