Best range MIMO/Pre-N wireless router

Darkstar850

[H]ard|Gawd
My parents are getting DSL this holiday season. For their christmas present, I am going to setup their network, including wireless for my mom's laptop. My parents have a fairly large house (as opposed to my little appartment) and so range is much more of an issue than in any wireless network I have setup thus far.

I want to try out one of the Pre-N products, as I have read great things about the range vs. standard wireless G. Alot of the products are from companies I either have little experience with, or have had poor experiences with in the past.

Main qualifications:
1. Great range.
2. Good reliability

What product(s) have people liked, and would recommend?
Note: Do not recommend the WRT54G with a different firmware or antenna. I have used them before and they are great, but I want to try something different, and see how well this technology functions.

Linksys SRX
Belkin Pre-N

I've setup quite a few of both of those, they work very well. Stick with a model that is based on the Airgo True-MIMO chipset, which the above have. In all the MIMO hardware reviews I've read, the Airgo chipset based units perform the best over the other alternative chipsets.

Excellent. I think I will go with the Belkin, as it has good reviews that I have seen, and is at least 20 bucks cheaper as far as I can tell (and I have already spent an awful lot of money this Christmas :( )

Is there a particular belkin model you like? I see a F5D8230-4 and F5D9230-4 option.

Thanks for the help guys. I decided to go with the F5D9230-4 (Wireless G plus MIMO). The setup from the Tom's Hardware review was pretty similar to my parent's house, so that was very helpful. I will review the unit after christmas.

Back