Best RAM upgrade for a Chromebox

the_servicer

2[H]4U
I want to get a 4GB stick of DDR3L for my Chromebox. The Chromebox only came with 2GB installed. Should I just add the 4GB for a total of 6GB, or should I remove the 2GB in order to not have mismatched memory installed?

I installed it. It seems to be recognized. What is the best way to confirm the memory is fully functional? If I accidentally damaged the RAM with electrostatic discharge, how would I know?

if you damaged the RAM it just wouldn't work. If you want to actually test the RAM, take a look at Memtest86+ installed to a USB drive and boot off it (can you do that on a chromebox?)

Thanks for the idea. Chrome OS is limited with regard to booting to other software so I'll probably just leave it alone.

There was an incident, thought it may only be a coincidence:

The Chromebox crashed this morning while working with two Air Canada reservation browser windows side by side. After months of usage prior to upgrading the memory, I never saw this happen. Hopefully it won't happen again.

There was an incident, thought it may only be a coincidence:

The Chromebox crashed this morning while working with two Air Canada reservation browser windows side by side. After months of usage prior to upgrading the memory, I never saw this happen. Hopefully it won't happen again.

They are the same speed and timing right?

I believe the 4GB stick I added is capable of higher speed than the factory-installed 2GB stick.

Crucial recommended a Ballistix gaming model for the Chromebox, so I thought "what the hell" and ordered it. So that's what I have. I believe the Ballistix recommendation has since been removed for the Chromebox.

Back