Best Racing Game?

Schrup

n00b
I just built a new gaming rig & want to expand my gaming horizons a bit. I'm thinking a race game would be fun, but not sure where to start. I have an old Logitech USB racing wheel & pedals, hopefully it's compatible with 64-bit Vista.

Grid looks interesting, but also a bit spendy. Are there better options out there for my set up?

Colin McRae Dirt
Flatout Ultimate Carnage < I love it.
Need for Speed Pro Street

off the top of my head.

Grid is definitely worth buying, or at least trying out the demo which is around 900 MB.

GTR2 and GT Legends come to mind for a good racing game that goes a little beyond strictly arcade.

I think I'll pick up Dirt after work. It's only $10. If I enjoy it, then I'll buy Grid in a week or two, thanks.

GTR2 and Race 07 are great sims. While the latter may be older, it's probably the most feature rich and polished. I picked GTR2 for 4.99 at CC during their clearance deal thingys and 07 for 9.99 at BB. You can actually activate the CD-Key on steam for Race 07 then store/toss the disc.

For arcade I'd say get GRID

My favorite racing game of all time (and I've played all those mentioned here except iracing), is MotoGP 07. Not available in the US but you can usually find a copy on Ebay from the UK or wherever. Also, there are still people that play it online, but you have to be on during the right time of day. Otherwise you won't find anyone playing. Unfortunate since this game is really fantastic. Big learning curve, but well worth the determination.

Best racing game for pc you say?:confused: Well here's my answer... nfs most wanted. soon to be replaced with an even better one called Undercover;)

I bought DiRT last night, but can't get it to run because of the imfamous no disc key issue. I'm trying to jump through all the Codemasters hoops from their canned email responses, but I'm not going to reconfigure my system for one game, so we'll see.

Now my new concern is my Wheel. It's an old Microsoft force feedback wheel with a usb plug. I'm not sure it will work even if I can get the game to run. Maybe I can download a Logitech driver for 64-bit Vista. Anyone using this wheel with 64-bit Vista?

Race 07 is pretty good, GTR2 is great. GTR evolution is terrible for some reason :(

Grid, Dirt and not to forget Flatout 2 !
Miles of fun :)

Understand what? Haven't you ever heard of a Emulator?

Sure, but to legally use the PS2 emulator for Gran Turismo 3 or 4, he'd need a PS2. Then he can just play the game on the PS2 anyways (and the emulation is really sub-par by the way). If you're referring to the PS1 version of Gran Turismo, then wow, he's in for a great racing experience on his new PC. Not.

Just admit it dude, you posted in the wrong forum and now you're trying to cover your butt and you fail miserably.

Colin McRae Dirt
Flatout Ultimate Carnage < I love it.
Need for Speed Pro Street

off the top of my head.

Grid is definitely worth buying, or at least trying out the demo which is around 900 MB.

Wow, thanks for alerting me to Flatout Ultimate Carnage, I must have been living under a rock for a bit, never heard of it before!!
From what I've read its built on Flatout 2 which was ace :)

I'm surprised nobody has said anything about Trackmania United. It's realism score is about a -1302 (scale of 10), but it's amazingly fun and surprisingly addictive. And it's cheap these days. You can download Trackmania Forever for free (online or via Steam) to try it out; the full game has about 6x as much content.

rFactor for simulation
Trackmania for Arcade

Grid is very popular, and trys to fool people into thinking it's a sim with damage modeling. However, it's really very arcade.

Grid is fantastic for arcade racer, all the toca series was good.

race 07, gtr2, rfactor, live for speed are all good sims.

Richard Burns Rally (MicroCenter dirt cheap)...Rally Sim...a bit hardcore for some
GTR2/ Race07 any SimBin except GTR/GTR Classic,,,has StarForce
ColinMcRae 2 very old very cheap best...went downhill after 3 & 4
Rally Trophy...medium Rally Sim fun to drive...not for the ADD

Hilarious: Flatout 1& 2

stop by Blackhole Motorsport for all your racing need.

BMW M3 Challenge Free Full Game
...its BMW sponsored GTR2

GTR2 or Race07 is probably the best sim for single player. rFactor is nice for multiplayer.

Race 07 is pretty good, GTR2 is great. GTR evolution is terrible for some reason :(
You playing GTR Evolution already? Pirate the German copy or something? What is bad about it? Thinking about picking it up day one...

GTR2 or Race07 is probably the best sim for single player. rFactor is nice for multiplayer.

You playing GTR Evolution already? Pirate the German copy or something? What is bad about it? Thinking about picking it up day one...

Played a couple times at a event I went to actually, Just did not like how the game felt. Wheel/Controller either way. Did not feel right. GTR2 is mucccccccch much better ;)

I read some comments and it sounds like the Race07 model is slightly different, and people never caught onto it. Guess not much has changed with the big rear-wheel drive cars.

I was really hoping it would be Race07 + GTR2 because I love the force feedback in Race07. Some graphics improvements would have been nice too, but it looks like there aren't many, and some people don't even like the "dark" feel of the graphics, which I also noticed. (GTR2 is a lot brighter.)

GRID is fun. It is definitely not a simulator.

grid_crash.jpg

That glow you see behind my front wheel and under the car is my engine...yeah. I'm not a great race car driver.

Grid is pure arcade to me. You do buy cars but that is the extent of it. You dont modify them, you cant adjust them, and there is no immersion. It just felt like an arcade driving game to me. Sadly I cant sell things I bought on steam, arg!

Back