Best quiet L3 switch

bleomycin

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone,

*edit*

So after thinking it over a bit more, i'm thinking it's probably best to replace the 2970G and the dell. I'm leaning towards a cisco 3750g-24t-s as the 2970G replacement, and something cheap and fanless to replace the dell. The dell has to go because it is having issues and just doesn't have quite the feature set required. Does anyone have any recommendations for a powerconnect 2716 replacement that at least has a little bigger feature set for managing vlans? I can get away with as little at 10 ports.

*original post*

I'm looking for a quiet (fanless) 16-24 port L3 switch mainly to handle interVlan routing in my home network. I'm going to be replacing an aging dell powerconnect 2716 "smart" switch. I need to be able to handle interVlan routing at gigabit line speed (I do not want to use my router for this). I'm most familiar with cisco IOS and prefer to stick with that however i'm unaware of any fanless models outside of the SG300 range that are L3? Also, the SG300 doesn't run IOS which makes it far less appealing to me. This switch will be trunked to an existing cisco 2970G which is also trunked to a mikrotik l2 switch and various "dumb" switches in other rooms.

It doesn't need to be a cisco device, the biggest requirements are silent operation, speed, reliability and if not IOS extremely good documentation. I'm plenty happy to grab something used, any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
other than the SG300

If fanless as far as I am aware you're stuck with HP procurve 1810G-16 and dell 2816. keep in mind that they are not full L3 switches.

sg500, but it is web based just like the other sg's. The one without poe is fanless.

I *think* i've found the perfect solution: Mikrotik RB1100AH: http://routerboard.com/RB1100AH#tests

I emailed mikrotik to make sure it will handle what i'm after but i believe it will, and i can get by with 13 ports. It appears to be far more powerful than the SG300 (the feature set at least), low power, fanless, and a good deal cheaper than a used 3750G. I'm just not terribly excited about dealing with yet another unknown OS...IOS makes everything so easy :(

I never liked switches with actual serial connectors. I always liked the Cisco Rollover type connector.

That doesnt look like a bad switch there. Just a tad, well, not pretty haha

That's technically not a switch... but it should do what you want though. Mikrotik makes decent stuff for the orice.

SG300 CLI is close enough to IOS for most things, SG500 is just the SG300 with stacking added

SG300 CLI is close enough to IOS for most things, SG500 is just the SG300 with stacking added

Yeah, i'm beginning to think the SG300-20 is what i'll try first. If it works great, if not you can return anything to amazon.

I have an SG300 and it will do everything you want, I only changed to a i3 pfsense box as I wanted firewalling abilities.

CLI is ok and ios 'esk but I just use the GUI as the small differences in syntax get annoying.

I *think* i've found the perfect solution: Mikrotik RB1100AH: http://routerboard.com/RB1100AH#tests

I emailed mikrotik to make sure it will handle what i'm after but i believe it will, and i can get by with 13 ports. It appears to be far more powerful than the SG300 (the feature set at least), low power, fanless, and a good deal cheaper than a used 3750G. I'm just not terribly excited about dealing with yet another unknown OS...IOS makes everything so easy :(

I thought about suggesting this, but I was concerned that it did not operate a full switching speed. It really depends on what level of performance is acceptable to you.

What L3 protocols are you trying to run? An HP 2610-24 or 2810-24 have either no fan or a super quiet one. The only problem with them is that it only runs RIP and static routes.

Back