Best Projector or LCD for Web, Games and Movies

taylorwilsdon

2[H]4U
I need something big that will let me sit anywhere between 5 to 10 feet away and still comfortably browse the web (1080p is a must) but still look great with games and movies. I'm considering a projector (no 1080p, thats too expensive these days :() or a big LCD (anywhere between 37'' to 50''

I'd love some opinions from people who use Large TV's or projectors as computer monitors.

the optoma hd70 is a very popular choice right now for a dlp projector. Very fast color wheel as well so no rainbows, alot of people are completely full of shit when they talk about rainbows anyways. It's a great price and features 720p

the optoma hd70 is a very popular choice right now for a dlp projector. Very fast color wheel as well so no rainbows, alot of people are completely full of shit when they talk about rainbows anyways. It's a great price and features 720p

That was one of the ones I was looking at! It looks almost perfect for what I'm doing. My only concern is that because I can't control the light (I have a skyligh on the entire ceiling :eek:) that a projector might not be right for me.

My only concern is that because I can't control the light (I have a skyligh on the entire ceiling :eek:) that a projector might not be right for me.
You're probably right, unless you can cover the entire ceiling with a huge blackout cloth, or use the projector only at night time. There are some business class projectors that have high lumens but even then the image and contrast would be washed out, and not as enjoyable to look at.

People in your situation often end up going with an LCD since they are backlit and plenty bright.

Otherwise if you can attain good light control then the HD70 mentioned prior is one of the best in it's price class.

You're probably right, unless you can cover the entire ceiling with a huge blackout cloth, or use the projector only at night time. There are some business class projectors that have high lumens but even then the image and contrast would be washed out, and not as enjoyable to look at.

People in your situation often end up going with an LCD since they are backlit and plenty bright.

Otherwise if you can attain good light control then the HD70 mentioned prior is one of the best in it's price class.

Will the HD70 work well with web browsing/computer usage? I can't control the light but I'll be using it when its dark for the most part.

There is a new boy in town and it knocks the snot out of any LCD TV panel out there. You would swear it is a plasma but it is a LCD. The only downside to it is that it has a clear shinny surface. Personally I like a shinny surface. They are the new Samsung LN-TXX65F models. It comes in 52, 46 and 40” versions. This is going to be my next monitor. Go to CC and BB and take a look at it and all the others will look dull and washed out.

Will the HD70 work well with web browsing/computer usage? I can't control the light but I'll be using it when its dark for the most part.

check out avsforum for any issues anyone has had, but as far as I know there's not been many. I am planning on buying one when I get the money mostly for htpc purposes

check out avsforum for any issues anyone has had, but as far as I know there's not been many. I am planning on buying one when I get the money mostly for htpc purposes
Yes, def a great place to start: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

My advice to the OP would be to research all current display technologies, and any that may be debuting in the next few months. Projectors are not for everyone especially for those who lack light control, and you can't forget the cost of a new bulb every 3-4000 hours. They're overkill for web browsing and checking emails imho, yea it looks nice and it's fun the first few times but it gets old pretty quick (for me anyway, and i have 720P, i still game on it occasionally). They're more suited for movie/TV watching imho. Not trying to talk you out of buying a projector, just making sure your aware of some of the pitfalls.

Good luck and remember that research can be half the fun :)

I have spent several hundred hours at the AVSForum and it can be addicting or can quickly turn you off on a particular product. Just remember that most of those there are [H]ard core about their AV products and you will hear of every insignificant problem there is about any product they talk about. As far as I am concerned, I appreciate it because I will know ahead of time of any problems that may occur. But you will also learn why they like it also and most likely how to operate it and what other products work with it the best.

Back