best program to test HDD heatlh?

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
have a VERY old 3TB WD mechanical drive. not sure if it's starting to fail or if something else is going on. what's a good app to test it? not sure what's out there anymore and what is worth using.

Check the SMART numbers first of all. What isn't working?

trying to compress some video, failed and now can't delete the remains of the file. unusual refresh behaviour in explorer.

but all that is irrelevant. this is an old drive and i'd like to perform some sort of stress testing to ensure reliability. what would you recommend?

thanks. the SMART data is coming back fine, but i'm noticing what seems like some random disconnects. very brief and intermittent.

i found a stress test program and running that overnight.

I would try checking the connections also. Cables and whatnot. I have a drive that is very picky about the SATA cable connection for example.

Thanks guys. I'll check the cables today. I did find some test tools and ran a couple stress tests. Total test time was almost 2 days (!). Didn't find anything and symptoms have disappeared for now. Strange, leaning towards cable now.

Before you start messing with other stuff, you should probably consider moving any important data over to another drive, just in case it does go poopoo, then troubleshoot however you see fit :)

Always great advice that one. No worries on the backup front, the first thing I did was to copy the entire contents of the drive to a spare usb drive. Plus I don't keep anything critical on that drive.

My critical stuff is on a 8TB HGST. Backup is a 8TB WD USB drive that spends most of its time sitting in a drawer.

Back