Best Prog to Monitor/block Network/Kids

OhSoCheesy

Limp Gawd
I just found our son staying on the computer past hours. We aren't ready to make a huge deal about it because generally he is a good kid and his grades are good. I'd like to find a program that would allow me to monitor his usage without him knowing I'm watching so we don't lose his trust. I guess it is like Ronald Reagan said, "Trust but verify".

So here is the setup:
He is on a wireless G card connected to a D-Link DI-624 rev C3.

I'd like to be able to just cut it off at the source if possible or set hours. I don't see those options in the firmware, which is Ver. 2.42DDm from Jan 12, 2005.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]​

Hmm you might just try creating a batch file and run it as a Scheduled Task that shuts down the computer at a specified time.

That way at say 11PM when its time for the computer to turn off it will do it for you =)

Save as *.bat:

@echo off

shutdown -s -t 0 -f

Hmm you might just try creating a batch file and run it as a Scheduled Task that shuts down the computer at a specified time.

That way at say 11PM when its time for the computer to turn off it will do it for you =)

Save as *.bat:

@echo off

shutdown -s -t 0 -f
Except that he could just turn it back on again...

I've heard a program called "safe eyes" recommended...Also there is pfsense or Untangle if you want to run a linux box as a firewall/router.

I use web watcher, great software.

If you just want a cut off time it may be possible depending on your router.

I have a static ip on my daughters laptop and I have it set up to block it inbetween certain hours.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Thanks for the quick replies! Yeah, I want to be able to pull the internet plug without warning so I don't have to have an argument right before bed. That way if his internet is cut off, he'll just turn it off and go to bed. Then I can confront the issue at my convenience.

I'll check into safe eyes, but I'd like it to be unknown to the user that there is a program watching...at least for now. I want to know how far I can trust him with out him knowing I'm testing him.

Thanks All!

spectorsoft to watch, and i believe some routers let you turn off intrawebs at a certain time on some machines

My cheap Trend router shuts down the kids xbox live by blocking a port then denys access on his PC to via the unique network ID of the NIC in his system.

I haven't figured out how to block his I touch from the wireless router...

LOL

I figured out how to block IP/websites but not MAC addresses. It seemed like it was more about blocking what was coming in/out for everyone and not just for one person. The boy is grounded for a while, so I have a little time to figure out what to do.

I really would rather not just shut off the internet at certain hours for him because that doesn't teach him anything other than that parents have ultimate control. I think I'm going to buy the Spector Pro, which is silent about what it gathers and just keeps us updated as to what he is up to without arousing suspicion. I would like to make sure this was just one slip up vs. an ongoing usurpation of the rules. I certainly do appreciate everyone's help and insight. I'll write back after I figure what I'll do. I'll keep reading here though if someone else has any other insight. Thanks much!

Microsoft has a product, Windows Steadystate, its more for kiosk type computers but it can limit the time the user is logged in for, all you would have to do is create a user for him and set all the restrictions you want on his account. It's fairly straight forward and easy to use.

Into a more psychological aspect tell him he's grown up enough to have his own account or something like that, if he already doesn't... :)

And it's free.

can also use netnanny to make sure hes not going to any naughty sites.

Not knowing the age of the son, its kind of hard to get a point of reference of where exactly you're coming from. If he's like 8 then sure, install something. If he's like 13-14 or even older, and you do that and don't tell him and he finds out, you'll have nothing left but broken trust.

Have you tried Windows Vista Parental Control, I've just messed with it right now and it seems pretty decent actually you could block, Time and date permissions, Web Filtering, type of programs Executed, and games by their Ratings. off course i can't 100 % vouch for this since I've only tried it one's anyone else has any experience with Vista Parent Control. ?

That's why you do it remotely! Untangle!

This and use opendns. Opendns will block specific categories and pages, as will untangle. I am not sure what type of reporting opendns provides, but the untangle reporting can be set to give you a decent amount of detail.

I just checked my router, running DD-WRT. You can setup access restrictions based on MAC, IP, or IP range. With the restriction, you can set schedules, set protocols to specifically block, URLs to block, and website blocking keywords.

Wow! Thanks for all of the great help. He is 15, so I'm really not trying to block anything. But it would be nice to know what he does and who he is doing it with. Yes it is a paradox, but we do what we can. Back in the day I (well her mom) caught my daughter talking about "five finger discounts" in her diary. We never told her we read it or said anything about it. My wife just spoke to some other moms about taking their kids through the scared straight program at the jail...just in case. A lot of moms thought it was a good idea. And it worked! So to me information is important. I would risk them finding out to keep them safe, which I know is not much longer.

So lots of great ideas here. I really don't want to set up hours of operation. I want him to learn to end it on time. I don't want to do it for him, which doesn't teach him anything. So something that will quietly track is what I need.

Thanks again for all the great help!

Something I forgot...I told him the router shows when he is connected, which it does. It doesn't log anything like when he logs off. So he already thinks I have some of this capability. The way I knew he was on it is because Windows Home Server popped up a message that I checked. It shows the computers that are connected in bold and those not in a light font. I noticed his was connected. But that is not ideal because I don't want to have to check it. Being able to check a log report is a much better solution. Or maybe if I can get an email if he is still connected after a certain hour. Anyway, thanks again!

It is unknown if the D-Link DI-624 is supported by the DD-WRT...at least on their product list. Anyone with experience with this router?

It it's not listed, chances are its not supported.

I dont think you should do that, if he learn about it, then it will be bad, also if he is smart, he might discover it.. I in other hand just block the content.... Ok now i understand i thought you were trying to block pr0n... well you can always pull the plug on the modem....
Also theres a program called inSSider... i think thats whats called...

I have the best program for you:

Maniac Time

My dad uses it on me. It has everything you want, lol...Except, however, for the ability to "hide" it from him. But, I speak from experience: it might be easier if you show him.

I used to be on the computer all hours of the day and night. I legit got pissed when I had something to do after-school because that cut into computer time. Yeah, it was bad. Anyways, my dad tried a few programs. The best one, in my situation at least, was Watchdog. It didn't limit certain hours in the day, there was just a maximum total that could be played in a day. It worked great. I slowly weened off. If your son is somewhat technologically-inclined, he could just boot into Safe Mode and stop it from running. I just happen to know that. Somehow. lol.....But, overall, it is a good plan.

Now, my dad's stepped down to Maniac Time which he runs right there in the open. This way, the person can monitor how long they spend doing stuff. When he realizes he's been on for approximately 30 of the past 80 hours on the computer, he might freak out a bit. If it he doesn't, give him some time. DO NOT give him other things to do. Let him pick other things to do. He'll find something else. Like, say, I don't know, building computers...lol

Hope that helps. :)

~Ibrahim~

P.S. If you find that he is perusing some off-color sites, I fully recommend OpenDNS. No need to flash DD-WRT (I have that, too, anyways, but...) on your router. It can block tons of websites, monitor how many times they attempted to access it, etc. I use it on my family....mainly for my 13-year-old brother. :D

Thanks everyone for your help! For now I'm using my router/AP to check to see if he is connected. I set an alarm on my phone and at 10:10 I check. I just haven't had time to set up anything else. I also figured out how to block his mac address, so if he acts up again I don't have to even go upstairs to turn his internet off. I could give him specific times through the AP, but that wouldn't teach him anything. I want him to learn to manage his time and follow the rules. He will be able to drive soon, so I want to make sure he can follow these rules before I give him a 5000lb car to go flying around in. I'll update if I have anymore issues. Thanks again!!

My wife and I use OpenDNS. Pretty good program and it's free!

http://www.parentdish.com/2009/04/16/cyber-spying-on-your-teen-how-bad/

So, answer the question: How Bad is it to cyber-spy on your teenager? "This is a 2 if it's an isolated incident and you were curious or worried and had cause to take a look. If you're addicted to your kids happenings and you spy on them all the time, that's a 7 or an 8. Then the problem is not your child, it's you."

However, if you're just nosy... "I don't think it's criminal parenting parenting to be curious, but I think you should ask yourself do you need to be involved in all of the innermost thoughts of your kids -- do you need to know everything about them? And if so, can you find up front ways to do that, because there are definitely reasons not to spy." There's that old trust issue, and also if a child finds out you are spying, he will become ever more sneaky about his activities.

If your router supports DD-WRT, I would use that alongside OpenDNS. Good luck!:)

Opendns can be circumvented easily and doesn't work if the pcs on another network.

free and developed by bluecoat.

http://www1.k9webprotection.com/
Excellent software and running on my netbook in XP and Windows 7. The only problem is that its unsupported on 64 bit OSes.

I'm looking for something exactly like K9, but with support for 64 bit. Basically, a free client based web filtering program that works on Windows 7 RC1 (and doesn't disable in safe mode).

I was running spyware, etc software on my boy's computer and I noticed that he had it automatically connect to a neighbor's network (they don't have any encryption for some reason), which bypasses the whole router method. is there a way to force his compter to ONLY use my network? I am now to the point I don't care if he doesn't like it, he's getting software put on his system to control his useage and let me know what he's up to. Unless there is a way to force his computer to only use my network, I'll have to put something else on. Any ideas if this is possible? Thanks!

If you use Vista, password protect every account and change his account to standard user if it isn't already. Then simply turn on parental controls for his account, and set time limits for when the account can be logged on. It will automatically boot him when it's past time.

If you use XP, download windows steady state and do the same thing.

Just one caveat, if your son is really enterprising he can download one of the numerous password tools that simply erase a windows account password, log on to the admin account and then disable parental controls. Of course, you'd probably realize this eventually and bust him on it:p

Finally, a kind word to your neighbor about securing their wifi may do both your situation and them a ton of good. Depending on how well you know them/get along you could have some fun (I was buddy buddy with my neighbors and when I saw their wifi was not secure, I logged in and found that their printers were shared and kindly printed out a message saying they may want to turn on their WEP)

EDIT: I just checked, Steady State now supports Vista. Unless things have changed you can limit his network management privileges with it, and other 'control panel' functions, as well as log-on times and even, I think, time limits. You need to pass the Windows Genuine test, but the download is free, again unless things have changed.

Last edited:
I haven't figured out which neighbor it is because there are so many around me and most are not named. The network in question is called 'netgear' and is open. I think I'll try your suggestion and see if I can find a printer to send a nice message to. Thanks for the help and tips!

I haven't figured out which neighbor it is because there are so many around me and most are not named. The network in question is called 'netgear' and is open. I think I'll try your suggestion and see if I can find a printer to send a nice message to. Thanks for the help and tips!

Well, just be very careful. This is technically a class-A felony, or whatever, computer crime. In my case, my neighbor and I were friends so it was all in good fun. But, you may really upset someone if you don't know them, or if you know them enough that their the type of person who takes offense.

I highly recommend the user account controls, and the Microsoft tool I mentioned before. In a properly secured computer, that account is completely 'locked' down however you want it to be. You want you son to log-off at 10:00, no problem. You want to restrict websites, internet access, no problem. You want the account to log-off after 2 hours of use on weekdays, no problem. You want to disable network management, preventing him from circumventing your NAT/Firewall setup, no problem.

And, for the inevitable 'but I need it for school' excuse, you can setup a second public account that only allows access to Office and the Web, but restricts sites like my-space, facebook, twitter, exe.

That SteadyState thing is legit. I wish I knew about it before; definitely downloading it, thanks!

~Ibrahim~

It is indeed, and I totally forgot about until TrEpIdAtIoN mentioned it on P.1. I'm glad Microsoft updated it for Vista, now I can finally lock down my systems the way I want.

Back