Best Pre-Built HTPC??

lma

n00b
I have a 42" 1080p TV and I am interested in getting a HTPC for it. I would mostly use it for playing downloaded videos maybe a little web surfing and playing mp3's but thats about it. I use a HD-DVR provided by my cable company for TV.

I currently use a modded xbox to accomplish these tasks but I am looking for something running on windows/linux to do a little more.

The TV has 1 VGA Input (Used by XBOX360 currently), 2 HDMI, 2 Component. I was hoping to put the HTPC on a HDMI port and run optical/coaxial audio to my receiver.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Do you want a component style case or a regular tower?

Of the top of my head, I would say Velocity Micro Media Center PCs have the best blend of quality, performance, features, and value out there for a prebuilt. Voodoo HTPCs are nice, but they are $$$. A lot of HTPC specialty stores offer their own models, but they are a dime a dozen, and I am not too familiar with specific models.

I'd probably say Velocity Micro all the way.

As far as HDMI, you can just use a DVI-->HDMI cable. ;)

Thanks for the info, I'll probably pick up one of these when I move into my new place.

LOL...bye!

Confused on why you would say LOL..bye

I had them build mine and I've been super satisfied and their guides on HTPC additions, plug ins, etc. are amazing and the best thing on the web.

Its been 2 months since they delivered my machine. Still very pleased!

Why not get a cable card reader. For 299$ get you a 4 tuner card that can record 4 shows at once. Unless you have more then 1 DVR, leverage that new HTPC for more value and save yourself 20$ or more per month. :)

Back