Best practice to install router behind a modem/router

vitalym

Limp Gawd
I have a Verizon FIOS modem/router
Ideally I'd put it in bridge mode so that my Linksys gets the WAN IP but the modem doesn't seem to support bridge mode.

What is the best way to do it so I don't have to setup port forwarding in the modem and the Linksys.
Would setting up a DMZ port for the Linksys be the suggested way?

Basically I want to route any incoming traffic from the WAN to the Linksys and let it do the routing.

Depends on the options of the FIOS device. Have you verified that the FIOS box isn't passing through a public IP address already?

Depends on the options of the FIOS device. Have you verified that the FIOS box isn't passing through a public IP address already?

Just got off the phone with them and the ONT box that connects the outside to the modem has a COAX and Ethernet connection.
By default the COAX is enabled and run to the modem and the ethernet is disabled.
They said they can enable the ethernet port which would feed a WAN IP directly to my router but I'd have to run a cat6 cable since they only ran a coax.

This is probably what I'll end up doing but wanted to see if it can easily be done with my current setup.

it sounds like they have already provided a solution. I don't see anything which prohibits or prevents the configuration which you have outlined as solution. Go buy some cat6 and git r dun.

I chose Ethernet when I got mine installed. I told the install tech I wanted to do Ethernet and he hooked it up. The ONT simply passes the public IP to the connected device (my router) and that's that. However this leads to many support issues when THEY are having problems and trying to explain the setup to their first tier tech support is an exercise in patience. 9 times out of 10 the only equipment that "needs to be restarted" is the ONT.

Back