Best player for 720p/1080p mkv's?

MATTRESS

Gawd
I currently play 720p MKV's (x264 or h264) using VLC player with all the default settings.

I was curious if there was a way to improve my video experience. I can't quite play 1080p smoothly, but I believe that's the fault of my onboard intel GMA910 ...

I used DTD calculator and was able to get 1920x1080 @ 24 hz finally, and it's smooth as hell on my 120Hz 1080p sammy.

The reason why I'm asking this is because back in the day when I had a rough SDTV HTPC (before I got all my cool new HD toys), CrimandEvil guided my using zoomplayer, with FFDShow, and the nvidia dvd codecs, and all kinds of fun tweaks to get awesome playback.

I was curious if the process has been simplified, or if there is any definitive software setup for the best experience.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions, or tips and tweaks! :D

For DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) the standard is to use Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

But otherwise, I'm partial to GOM player. I'd say it's better than MPC-HC in a lot of ways.

For DirectX Video Acceleration (DXVA) the standard is to use Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

But otherwise, I'm partial to GOM player. I'd say it's better than MPC-HC in a lot of ways.

OK I bit! I got MPC-HC installed, along with coreavc. There's an incredibly noticeable difference to VLC. I'm very impressed.

Now my next question. I'm big into remote control via network. There's a nifty HTTP remote interface for VLC for my iPhone. That was my primary controller. I started VLC using the "HTTP Remote Interface" as the main interface, so the player was completely invisible unless a movie was playing.

I can't figure out how to keep MPC hidden in a similar fashion. I found the tray icon setting, but I can't figure out how to keep the window hidden or fullscreen only. I'd like a "minimize on stop" function or something similar.

I found the same thing for my iPhone for MPC, but I can't figure out how to set the starting directory... I have to navicate to C: .. Docs and Settings .. mattress .. downloads .. complete .. movies .. movie name ... movie.mkv

Back