Best platform for fighting games?

jamesrb

[H]ard|Gawd
Which is the best platform for fighting games? I am thinking about investing into a good fighting stick, but don't want to drop the money on a poor platform for the genre. I know the PC is pretty much out since they get virtually no releases.

Between 360 and PS3, does one see more/better fighting games? How about the community for each?

The main draw for the 360 is that the fight stick for it will use XInput, making it a better cross platform controller in the case that I use it on the PC. The main draw for the PS3 is that I don't have to pay for a Gold subscription.

Don't want this to turn into a flame war, just wondering if the genre tilts one way or the other.

PS3: more popular in japan than the x360, better default gamepad for fighting games (even tho you want to use an arcade stick anyway...)
these days, most fighting games are multiplatform (even tekken went to xbox in addition to PS3!) so it isnt

best fighting game platform ever? Dreamcast baby!

PS3: more popular in japan than the x360, better default gamepad for fighting games (even tho you want to use an arcade stick anyway...)
these days, most fighting games are multiplatform (even tekken went to xbox in addition to PS3!) so it isnt

best fighting game platform ever? Dreamcast baby!

I agree with this completely.

I'd get the PS3.

Gamecube.... ssbm > all

In this case a Wii might make more sense then, because the component video adapter for 480p on the gamecube costs just as much as a Wii.

As a hardcore PC Gamer, the sole reason I bought an xbox360 was for fighting games, as that is one of the genres which gets ignored on the PC. I chose the 360 as most multiplatform fighting games have a larger userbase on the 360, meaning that you will almost always have other people with decent pings to play with at all hours of the day. Especially if the game has you in ranked sections, for example hitting SG rank in street fighter 4 on the PS3 was a ghostown whereas on 360 it was not as bad.

If you plan on competing in official events, note that some of them use the PS3 for sponsorship reasons - and the PS3 has about 1-2 more frames of input latency than the 360, so hitting things like 1-frame links require slightly different timing than the 360 version.

If you need more info check out the shoryuken website/forums. Any general questions you possibly have would have been answered there.

For a stick I chose the Madcatz TE fightstick, its undoubtedly one of best (if not the best) you can buy and it's completely worth every cent. Don't cheap out on your stick if you plan on spending a lot of time playing fighting games.

get the 360 since it does keep yoru arcade stick a lot more "open" to which platform you might want to use it on. I hop back and forth between Street Fighter on pc and SSF4 on 360 for different friends.

I really don't think there is a big difference either way on "which is best" because they both have the same fighting games.

There are arcade sticks that work for PS3 and PC as well right?

Well, I guess there has to be. I am using my PS3 controller on my comp, so through the motion joy driver, I can't see it not working.

There are arcade sticks that work for PS3 and PC as well right?

Well, I guess there has to be. I am using my PS3 controller on my comp, so through the motion joy driver, I can't see it not working.
There are quite a few controllers that work on both PC and PS3 but not on 360. It's kinda funny actually how the 360 has very limited PC compatibility. Even Valve is bringing Steam to PS3 but not 360. What does that tell you?

Both the HRAPS3 and TE PS3 sticks work on the PC just fine. Beware though some motherboards USB ports will not work with the TE stick. For example, my PS3 TE stick gets recognized by my Asus motherboard, but no inputs work. Stick works just fine on my other Gigabyte mobo though. Googling around some mobo's have issue with the stick. The solution was to buy a compatible USB expansion card.

PS3 vs Xbox for fighting games? I'll take the Xbox thanks. The input lag on the PS3 is extremely noticable.

If you're playing online, then you have the extra cost of Live. That doesn't seem worth it. Paying to use your own device as a sever is such a ripoff. I don't see how anyone who has ever used a PC could stomach paying for Live.

If you're not going online, how about a PS2? It had the largest selection of console games.

They have sf4 and blazeblue on PC. I hope mortal kombat 2011 also comes out for it. I use an arcade stick.

Back