Best Place to buy mp3's thats not Itunes

El Nacho

Noobie Cheese
I want to give my sister a "gift card" so she can download music legally.

First and formost ITunes is not an optoin

I want her to be able to burn them to cd

I want her to be able to transfer them to her mp3 player

Lastly, this needs to be an easy process.

i'm curious...

why isn't itunes an option?

i can burn stuff from itunes to cd.
i can transfer itunes downloads to an ipod.

what is the issue there? or is this a stand against "the man"? :)

ccotenj said:
i'm curious...

You're forgetting that not everybody owns or wants an iPod. Since iTunes is exclusive to iPods only, then that rules out all the other players.

As for music download services, I have not experience with any of them. However, guides like this should at least give you an idea.

SockMan! said:
You're forgetting that not everybody owns or wants an iPod. Since iTunes is exclusive to iPods only, then that rules out all the other players.

As for music download services, I have not experience with any of them. However, guides like this should at least give you an idea.

Thats exactly the type of info i was looking for thanks.

ccotenj said:
i'm curious...

i can burn stuff from itunes to cd.
i can transfer itunes downloads to an ipod.

what is the issue there? or is this a stand against "the man"? :)

I dont own an ipod
dont want bloated software
and i want my music in mp3 or wma as thats what my mp3 player supports.

I know I can burn and then rerip the cd, but thats more work than I want to go through.

The man has good reason. You could try Napster, i'm not sure if they have a contract or not, but for 20 bucks a month, you can download music. Come to think of it, I think they have thieir own software now for that. Damn, i'd like to know this too, I use Itunes right now. :eek:

There must be a way to convert the I-tunes file format to mp3 or some other format. You could use Creative's "WhatUhear" but that would take for ever.

GodsMadClown said:
Allofmp3.com is legal. For now...

They carry tons of older music too. Songs from just a few years ago, that you can't find on itunes, napster, etc. Good pricing too.

That is one of the very cool things about their service.....
in fact I just snagged Triumph, Allied Forces from them. :D

I've read that AllOfMP3 stores their 'originals' as high-bitrate MP3s which are transcoded to the format of your choice. I'm not sure if this is true or not, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt; but it'd cheapen the point of having lossless formats if it were.

I bought the flac version of Lateralus, converted the files to waves and then ripped MY copy of the CD with EAC, encoded them with flac and then decoded them to wave files....
I then compared the CRC of files.
The CRC's are to close to be trans-encoded files (10 of the 13 files were exact matches).

You now owe me $11 for proving what you read is wrong (at least for this CD it was). :D

Back