best place to buy cat5 online?

HVACxpert

n00b
where should I look? I need to get a 1000ft spool. I wasn't sure if I should look online or just go to the local datacom warehouse.

Thanks

I recommend that you go to Graybar (or any other electrical/datacom distributor) and buy better quality cable. The stuff that CompGeeks sells is not the highest quality.
Or go to Home Depot, they sell good stuff.

I think I will go to Graybar. I am going to have to pull new wire to 10 workstations and I don't want to have to do it twice.

The cables there now are only about three years old, but they have a hard crimp every foot or so. We are experiencing weird communication problems on the networkand I think this will solve them.

The company is footing the bill for the work I am about to do. So, I think I will come out ahead on this deal if I can convince them to buy me new tools at the same time. :D :D :D

sigmend - funny thing about compgeeks is that I haven't looked there in a long time. I just happened to go there last night and saw the same thing you saw. :)

Thanks for all the quick replys.
later:)

You have to have an account to buy online, I think. But just about every town metro area has at least one Graybar.

You might need an account to order from them over the phone, but they do have counters where you can just go in and pick up what you need.

If you get an account with them though, you get access to their online pricing, so you can get pricing over the net before you ever go to the store. It's worth setting up an account if you're going to buy there more than once.

what does it mean with the compgeeks site by this:
"* CM or CMG (general purpose): Cables may be used only within a ...
... single floor, i.e. in the horizontal run. May not be used to ...
... penetrate floors or ceilings, nor used in air handling spaces."

I plan on running some of this up a wall and along the celing tiles and then back down a wall into the room next to it. Will this not work for some odd reason?

Originally posted by comradeboris

I plan on running some of this up a wall and along the celing tiles and then back down a wall into the room next to it. Will this not work for some odd reason?

Maybe the cables have vertigo? :)

Seriously though, I don't know why they would say that? I can understand running em through ducts (heating my be an issue), but just running em up a wall?

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Originally posted by comradeboris

They're probably talking about standard cable and Plenum. I know if you're running cable through air ducts you have to use Plenum because of building code. If there is a fire and Plenum burns, it wont emit toxic gas that kills everyone serviced by the air duct. I dont know about whatever else they're talking about.

CMR cable is the standard PVC riser rated cable, for general use.
CMP cable is plenum rated, for use in air plenum spaces, typically above drop ceilings and air return spaces. Regardless, no cables should be ran through any HVAC ductwork. It's not a good idea.

Back