Best place to buy a new phone outright?

Costco sometimes has deals that do not require activation/new line purchases as well.

Newegg, Amazon, Swappa , eBay or something else?

Don't forget that some phone brands (Apple and Samsung most notably) will also sell phones directly from their sites. You won't always get deals, of course, but there's no ambiguity involved.

Amazon, best buy, or your local carrier. B&H Photo is good too.

Yup, I've bought phones from Amazon, Swappa (new phones just being resold), Google, and Samsung with no issues as well. Sometimes the OEMs have sales directly on their site as well, like Samsung and Google have been doing recently, as well as Moto does pretty routinely too, which prompts other resellers like Amazon and Best Buy to match them as well.

I'd vote for BH or Swappa. I've used Swappa a lot and haven't had any issues YMMV though, as with anything.

costco if you want a carrier branded device. Unlocked is wherever they sell you a non-branded official unlocked device (i mean not some 3p seller selling carrier branded phones unlocked)

What kinda phone you getting? Direct from the manufacturer gets my vote for new. Swappa for used.

Back