best phone for $200-$250 budget?

eon

2[H]4U
currently wife has nokia e71 on straight talk (att network)

I'm looking into getting her a new phone for Christmas because she would like a more advanced smartphone. However, I cant bring myself to spend $400+ on any phone and neither would she ever want me to. Nor do I want to be trapped in some rip off contract. What I'm looking for is suggestions for unlocked android or ios phone for no more than about $250 yet still a worthwhile upgrade over her e71. Also I'm willing to do one of those deals that include a contract IF its not much more than the $45/month straighttalk rate.

thanks

Not sure if Google is still selling the GNex on its Play Store, but that might be a good option. Virtually everything about that phone is fantastic, except the battery life. Not sure what the Nexus 4 is selling for, but I think it's only a little over your budget, if you could manage to get one. Looks nearly identical to the S3 specs wise, so should be pretty good on battery while maintaining a lot of the benefits introduced with the GNex.

hmm interesting but from what i read doesnt look like i can get my hands on one before christmas

The unsubsidized price for the lumia 920 at ATT is 350 I believe. I would assume the 820 would be around your budget going by the price of the 920. My fiance has the 820 and absolutely loves it.

There's an unlocked Galaxy Nexus for $260 on Swappa right now. Looks like someone will be buying it tomorrow though. You can see all the AT&T phones for sale on there here.. In your price range, I would prolly go with the Atrix 2 4G or if you can stretch to $300, the HTC One X, which is still a very good phone compared to newer ones.

FYI, you can probably make $70+ from selling the E71.

I suggest the Nexus 4 new from google.
Or used iPhone 4s or HTC One X maybe.

Used galaxy nexus is really the best you can do in that price range. Its an excellent phone. Don't waste your money on budget models.

The unsubsidized price for the lumia 920 at ATT is 350 I believe. I would assume the 820 would be around your budget going by the price of the 920. My fiance has the 820 and absolutely loves it.
Try $450 for the 920 and $400 for the 820.
8X is $450 as well.

Used GNex or up the budget for an N4 be your best options.

I'm going to agree with the other people for $200-250

The following phones would be on my list
Unlocked Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy S II
Iphone 4S

^^^^those are the minimum-good phones for everyone except the most poor.

ok thanks well from the prices I'm seeing for those I might as well wait for Nexus 4 to come back in stock.
I looked back at the LTE and Verizon prepaid at $50 for unlimited doesnt seem so bad but from what I'm reading it Verizon is neglecting this phone as far as OS updates. But im guessing this shouldnt be too much of an issue for my wife who wont be doing any kind of advanced stuff with it.

Last edited:
Back