Best Performing card that runs the coolest?

Of the three I would go with the 9600GT. BTW are you looking for low power usage, keeping your case cool, or the chip temperature? can you be more specific about cool?

also what are planing for resolution?

If its not really power you are worried about and just the temperature of the card, would a card that can take an Accelero S1 be good enough?

i have a q6600 and an 8800gts g92 and after a couple of hours of gaming my room gets very hot !!
I'm going to change the q6600 to a e1200, the quad draws 105w and the e1200 only draw 30w.
And the now i'm trying to decide what gfx card would be the coolest

My room heats up too so I open a window if it gets too warm.
A higher power graphics card will have less heating effect than having another person in your room.
Did you know the brain alone generates up to 40W of heat?!
(I dont know if I can back that up but it was on a documentary I saw. I'll try if you need though :))

i have a q6600 and an 8800gts g92 and after a couple of hours of gaming my room gets very hot !!
I'm going to change the q6600 to a e1200, the quad draws 105w and the e1200 only draw 30w.
And the now i'm trying to decide what gfx card would be the coolest

save your money and get some ventilation in your room. a 9800GT will be a downgrade as will the cpu in games.

I dont mine the downgrade, just need to keep it cool. needs to be a socket 775 cpu and pci-e gfx card.

You need to define what you mean by "good card".

I dont mine the downgrade, just need to keep it cool. needs to be a socket 775 cpu and pci-e gfx card.

you will still have the same problem. heat being dumped into your room, it will just take longer for it to heat up. try the drier vent mod if you need to.

If you get something like an 8600 that doesn't require the external power connector - it would be quite the difference. Though, the 8600s are poo these days. Games like Crysis are out of the question.

Are you running on a LCD or CRT? A mid sized LCD will use less power than a CRT.

Swap out your lights to the LED or CFL light bulbs - that would save quite a bit of heat too.

I have to agree with the people recommending you increase ventilation, though. You could also upgrade your PSU - a more efficient PSU will generate less heat as well, as will switching to LCD monitors from CRTs.

The heat you'd save from switching to a low power CPU and a 9600GT isn't going to be very noticeable. Your room is still going to heat up.

The most important thing to consider is what you're going to be doing with the card... Web browsing? Photoshop? Games? If so, which ones, and at what resolutions? Without that information, it's really difficult to make a real recommendation.

If you're not getting the performance you want in a specific game, it doesn't really matter how cool your video card runs...

I'm going to put the pc in the closet and just get an extra long 30ft dvi and usb cable to feed my monitor, keyboard and mouse on the other side of the room. Close the closet and let it heat up in there.

I'm going to put the pc in the closet and just get an extra long 30ft dvi and usb cable to feed my monitor, keyboard and mouse on the other side of the room. Close the closet and let it heat up in there.

If your going to try that why not do the thing with the dryer vent. Hell you can even use a ceiling vent.

All three of those are cool and the differences in your system will probably be minor.

That would be bad for your PC. You *NEED* ventilation. If the closet isn't ventilated, then its just going to heat up your room anyway.

I did just this for a while. It will slow down your room getting heated up a little, but if you leave your system on for >7 hours on any given day it stops being effective. The heat still goes somewhere and it ends up being your room. On the plus side the 30 foot cables all work great. I also got a E-MU 0404 USb sound card... $200 but there are similar cheaper options if you dont want to run a mess of audio cables all the way from your closet.

Like I said though, I didnt feel like the heat savings were enough. My room still noticably heated up with the closet closed, and my system would sometimes overheat and lock up. I have a double wide closet with not much in it. The heat builds up in the closet but eventually it will get into your room. My room doesnt cool well on its own so there wasnt really any improvement unless I was just running my system for 2-3 hours.

I ended up moving the computer into the attached bathroom, which has its own window. The bathroom heats up, vents out, and my room doesnt.

The new nvidia cards run extremely cool. Their idle is most impressive, theres nothing better aside from an AMD integrated solution. Their under use load is relatively low heat, and amazingly low heat considering how much work they are doing. Get a GT 260: theres a factory overclocked HotDeals one for $205 now. Its your best bet by far, with a 9600GT coming in close second. I'd go for twice the price and four times the performance myself though, and again, the GT260 has better idle.

I tried getting a low power (45w) AMD cpu. My 7950GT doesnt get that hot. My power supply puts out a steady hot breeze all on its own, I blame it for a lot... *grumble grumble* Antec piece of junk... the problem isnt the computer its the room, its thermodynamics. Any heat that gets into your room has to get out and tweaking how much heat you put in makes little difference compared to the fact that none of that heat is naturally escaping. My suggestion is to rethink the problem and device a way to prevent the heat from getting in your room.

Its 67 in here now. My computer is in another room and I cant hear it. Fuck yes.

Hang the radiator out of the window :D

Maybe putting the radiator in a closet will be good enough for the time the OP needs to use his PC.
However the ambient temp will rise over time if there is no ventilation so the same issue may crop up.
Ultimately, better ventilation in the room is needed.

Food for thought: at rest your body will produce over 100W of heat. Iif you are very active in your room you could be producing over 700W of heat.

That's a heck of a lot more than your computer. I mean to draw attention to the fact that your computer might not be the primary heat source in your room. As people have previously said, you'd be much better served by changing the ventilation in your room than spending money on downgraded computer parts.

Where do you get your 100W 700W numbers kaidskryke? 700W is 1 HP, thats a helluva lot of heat.

I've found the solution to my problem. Got a Xigmatek S1283 and turned all the 120mm fans on my Antec p180 into intakes. The s1283 fan is also not exhausting but intaking. The cpu temps are not so great, around 60c, but the heat stays inside the case and my room does not get hot anymore !!

lol words almost escape me.

psst the heat is still in your room.
Your room will still get as warm, it will take a small time longer though and will persist longer after you turn your PC off.
You also risk damaging your Pc which needs the fans to operate properly or there is no point in having them.

Why not remove the case fans and then you wont be generating even more unnecessary heat by blowing fans against each other!!
You could always duct tape your PC up so all the heat remains inside and when you have finished using it, put it outside your room.
(I am joking btw!).

Wow, seriously.. the heat will reach equilibrium eventually with your room, what you're doing is forcing your computer to heat up a LOT more while possibly delaying the effects of your room heating up for a little bit. If anything, the amount of heat that your system puts out is negligible at best compared to how much heat your body puts out. Your solutions are naive at best, at worst just plain stupid... open a window, keep your door open, that alone will solve 100% of your problems. Honestly, i imagine your main reason to keep your door shut is to jack off, that act alone generates a lot more heat than your computer ever would, so a simple solution, don't downgrade, just open your door and stop jacking off. (half joking)

You don't have to downgrade to lower the amount of heat generated...

You can turn off two of the cores in your Q6600 in the BIOS, underclock/undervolt it, and underclock your GFX card using Rivatuner...

Food for thought: at rest your body will produce over 100W of heat. Iif you are very active in your room you could be producing over 700W of heat.

That's a heck of a lot more than your computer. I mean to draw attention to the fact that your computer might not be the primary heat source in your room. As people have previously said, you'd be much better served by changing the ventilation in your room than spending money on downgraded computer parts.

I highly doubt that much heat is produced by the human body. Got any links to backup this claim?

Back