• AMD 5800x

• AMD 3900x

• Intel 10850k

• Waiting for reviews

• Waiting for Intel 11th gen

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nightfire

2[H]4U
With the new AMD announcements, I am a bit poll happy. So, for $450 which would you choose as your main rig?

AMD 5800x: 8/16, Best IPC, no igpu
AMD 3900x: 12/24, 'weakest' at gaming, no igpu
Intel 10850k: 10/20, balanced performance,
weakest i/o, high power draw

Laugh, I mean since we know nothing about the 5800x performance you need a 4th option stating waiting for reviews.

If the performance proposed by AMD is in fact accurate, I would go for the 5800X. However, I chose to wait for reviews for now.

Wait for 11th Gen Intel? Their roadmap shows them scrambling. I just defected to team Red because Intel is so far behind. I am in the more cores camp and have seen first hand the overwhelming benefits. Gaming is not everything- blasphemy, I know.

I don't think waiting for 11th Gen Intel is all that unreasonable given that it's a Q1'21 launch supposedly. I don't see AMD replacing Zen3 for at least a year to year and a half, so it's not like you're going to miss a couple months. Plus, availability and pricing might be better.

If I had to build right now, I'd probably go AMD 5800x, but I don't.

The benefit to buying at launch is that you have the longest possible time before your performance has been eclipsed by something else, giving you the most long term value out of your money.

Personally, I pick a performance level and try to buy at launch when something hits that level (apparently 3080 excepted, but that's not from lack of trying) - usually its about 25-30% faster than what I currently have. there is always something new around the corner I could wait for but then I would never upgrade, or I would wait so long into the lifecycle of the product that the value wouldn't be the same.

I don't think waiting for 11th Gen Intel is all that unreasonable given that it's a Q1'21 launch supposedly. I don't see AMD replacing Zen3 for at least a year to year and a half, so it's not like you're going to miss a couple months. Plus, availability and pricing might be better.

If I had to build right now, I'd probably go AMD 5800x, but I don't.

Intel's own road map says Mar 2021, so possibly April for full availability. That is 6 months away or 5 months after Zen3 which is rather significant. However, I suspect AMD will give a nice price drop around that time. $350 for a 5800 (non x) and a $250 for a 5600 (non x) would be nice.

The 5800X looks too good to pass up! Assuming you can get your hands on one of course.

I really want the 5900X myself

Changed my vote to 5800x. Forgot about pcie 4.0 and it should dump alot less heat into the case meaning possibly higher boost speeds for the GPU.

Poll option for 3950x?
Why not bum it up to $500, some 3950x owners might want to sell to upgrade.

Poll option for 3950x?
Why not bum it up to $500, some 3950x owners might want to sell to upgrade.

The vast majority look here look to want the 5800x over the similiar priced10 and 12 core options here, so I doubt they want to fork over even more for a 16 core option

10850k now $400. This flat out undercuts AMD and should get them to release a cheaper R7 5800.

One vote for a Xeon 2699 V3. I picked up one for $300. $75 Machinist X99 Chinese motherboard and $50 16gb (4x4 sticks) in Quad channel.

10850k now $400. This flat out undercuts AMD and should get them to release a cheaper R7 5800.

I don't anticipate that until we see Rocket Lake pricing. If Intel taught AMD anything, it's why bother dropping the price when you have a superior product?

I don't anticipate that until we see Rocket Lake pricing. If Intel taught AMD anything, it's why bother dropping the price when you have a superior product?
Sounding like a student becoming the master situation, haha. Time for Intel to start undercutting and gives us another good dose of competition.

One vote for a Xeon 2699 V3. I picked up one for $300. $75 Machinist X99 Chinese motherboard and $50 16gb (4x4 sticks) in Quad channel.
smoothmove I am really not trusting those chinese mobos that are being pumped out....really do wonder about what call homes they may have! :D

I don't think x99 boards are that hard to find yet. You can still get a mainstream board for a decent price.
These chinese made boards are being made for older v2 Xeons with over clocking and all that and include things like USB 3 controllers t

I just picked up a Dell 5810 for $140. I am going to Turbo unlock that and play around with it. I like the Machinist X99 V1.02. It is a little smaller than Matx and just works

Back