best pci-e card

Fox_T

Gawd
Hi yall. At the mom. Im considering 8800gtx, - is it a new card, or has it been out for while now?
Will I need to upgrade my current system in order to use at least 1 of them?
Your opinions as to what is the best pci-e card now, or any new releases I should be waiting for?
Thx.

Yes it is "the best" as of this very instant, but R600 (the ATI response) is supposed to be faster, and I'd wait for it unless you have a brand preference. The rest of your system will bottleneck any card, we're seeing even Core 2s bottlenecking videocards (7900s, 8800s, X1950s) unless overclocked to the extreme.

If your signature is accurate, a 19" lcd won't be able to show off an 8800GTX anyways. The native resolution must only be 1280x1024.

If your signature is accurate, a 19" lcd won't be able to show off an 8800GTX anyways. The native resolution must only be 1280x1024.

Yes my top res on this screen is 1280x1024, I also got 21" Yama (duno whats it called CTR or CRT...) - its res is 19x something...
What do you mean by "showing off" 8800gtx? - will it perform much better than 1024mb 7950gx2 on 1280x1024 resolution?

Yes it is "the best" as of this very instant, but R600 (the ATI response) is supposed to be faster, and I'd wait for it unless you have a brand preference. The rest of your system will bottleneck any card, we're seeing even Core 2s bottlenecking videocards (7900s, 8800s, X1950s) unless overclocked to the extreme.

Heard that R600 is delayed, it should b out by the time when barcelona is released.
When you say Core 2s you mean C2duo? or its something else.
Do you know when 8800GTX was released? approx. how long ago?
Do you recon my cpu is bottlenecking my curent card?

Core2 = Core2Duo
The 8800GTX was released only a short time back (relatively, I think six months or less)
Yes, your CPU is probably bottlenecking your current card (single-core has no way of feeding a high-end card fast enough)

Release date for the 8800 GTX was 11-08-2006.

http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-8800-GTX-card-474.html?PHPSESSID=e0e11836b8dbfe734cd1fa903ee88b98

I would get a faster processor and a larger monitor if you want to be able to put the 8800 GTX's
power to good use. If you don't, then a 8800 GTS or even a 7900 GTX will play every current and
most next gen games beautifully at 1280x1024 with all sorts of filtering and anit-aliasing. The
most important thing is really to get a faster processor.

Six months means that soon something better should be released, will it still be g80 series or its the end of them?

If I get 6600 - will that still be bottlenecking 7950? or Ill definately see a performane boost.

Also I don't quite get how 6600s stock 2.4ghz will be better than my 2.8 apart from that it has two cores, is it bcoz of the new architecture?

Also I don't quite get how 6600s stock 2.4ghz will be better than my 2.8 apart from that it has two cores, is it bcoz of the new architecture?

UMM well think of it this way I once had a Ford mustang that had a V8 and a friend had a BMW that had a V6. He's V6 would kick my A$$. I know thats a bad example but really there is that much difference in C2D and what you are using now. Intel is just miles ahead of AMD right now, a year from now who knows but for know C2D is the best out there.

And yes architecture is the reason.

Release date for the 8800 GTX was 11-08-2006.

http://www.gpureview.com/GeForce-8800-GTX-card-474.html?PHPSESSID=e0e11836b8dbfe734cd1fa903ee88b98

I would get a faster processor and a larger monitor if you want to be able to put the 8800 GTX's
power to good use. If you don't, then a 8800 GTS or even a 7900 GTX will play every current and
most next gen games beautifully at 1280x1024 with all sorts of filtering and anit-aliasing. The
most important thing is really to get a faster processor.

Good suggestion thx. Thats what Im thinking, say if I just upgraded to 6600 or whatever and keep my curent card(till new nvidia release) - will I definately see a performance boost ie in(supreme commander 12x10) coz at the moment Im not willing to cashout for a 30" screen just for higher resolution, I got 21" crt or ctr(big f*cking thing) 1920x... but theyr bad 4 your eyes, so... Soon Ill be buying a new car so don't want to spend too much cash on pc games...

UMM well think of it this way I once had a Ford mustang that had a V8 and a friend had a BMW that had a V6. He's V6 would kick my A$$. I know thats a bad example but really there is that much difference in C2D and what you are using now. Intel is just miles ahead of AMD right now, a year from now who knows but for know C2D is the best out there.

And yes architecture is the reason.

I get you. That explanation is good enough 4 me. Thx.

Even though theyr clocked lower they still kick but

Um, an AMD 64 at 2.86 ghz is no slouch so these people recomending that you get a new processor are kind of crazy. It may be a tad bit slower than a stock E6600 which is enough to push most games at max settings at 1920x1200 resolution. If I were you I would at least wait till the core 2 duo price drops that come in april who know by that time the R600 may be out and beat the 8800gtx's enough to make them drop a little more in price as well.

The 8800GTX has barely been out for 5 months, and the R600 is still, for the most part, MIA. Though it will undoubtedly be beaten in raw numbers, there were other considerations that made me buy one when I upgraded last month.

From my experience with the last few generations of ATI cards, they've been shown to be remarkably energy inefficient and (most importantly to me) rediculously loud with high-pitched, whiney fans. Though the 8800GTX does run hot (it's raised my M/B temp almost 10C in my Antec P180 with good airflow ... mine idles at 63 and hits 76 under load in my 27c ambient apartment) the fan is nearly inaudible at idle and sounds like a soft whoosh at 100%.

To me, the fact that the 8800GTX is available now, is rediculously fast, and runs nearly silent idle with no annoying sounds at load, made it a no-brainer for me. The fact the R600 is delayed time and time again tells me they're having problems with production, and I wouldn't want to buy a first-run card from the first batch anyway. Who knows when it's going to be out.

Even if the R600 were available now, if it made as much noise as the 1900 series, I'd still take the 8800GTX.

Yeah I've got a single core at 2.9 and from what I've read there wouldn't be much of a noticeable improvement over that with DX9 cards. Sure you may gain 20 fps, but only going from 100 to 120. I don't think in your case a dual core is a necessity until you upgrade to an 8800 series card or better. So for now, I would just ride it out with the 7950GX2 and single core.

Other than Oblivion, I can't imagine there are any games out giving you problems at the resolution of 1280x1024. In 6 months, no the 8800 will likely be retired. Best guess is around May availability for R600. G80 refresh should be out around then too.

The 8800GTX has barely been out for 5 months, and the R600 is still, for the most part, MIA. Though it will undoubtedly be beaten in raw numbers, there were other considerations that made me buy one when I upgraded last month.

From my experience with the last few generations of ATI cards, they've been shown to be remarkably energy inefficient and (most importantly to me) rediculously loud with high-pitched, whiney fans. Though the 8800GTX does run hot (it's raised my M/B temp almost 10C in my Antec P180 with good airflow ... mine idles at 63 and hits 76 under load in my 27c ambient apartment) the fan is nearly inaudible at idle and sounds like a soft whoosh at 100%.

To me, the fact that the 8800GTX is available now, is rediculously fast, and runs nearly silent idle with no annoying sounds at load, made it a no-brainer for me. The fact the R600 is delayed time and time again tells me they're having problems with production, and I wouldn't want to buy a first-run card from the first batch anyway. Who knows when it's going to be out.

Even if the R600 were available now, if it made as much noise as the 1900 series, I'd still take the 8800GTX.

While I agree with the inefficient part I do belive that ATI is learning their lesson about the loud card fans. The X1950 XTX is proof of that. In anycase it is hard to judge a card that is not out yet.

Um, an AMD 64 at 2.86 ghz is no slouch so these people recomending that you get a new processor are kind of crazy. It may be a tad bit slower than a stock E6600 which is enough to push most games at max settings at 1920x1200 resolution. If I were you I would at least wait till the core 2 duo price drops that come in april who know by that time the R600 may be out and beat the 8800gtx's enough to make them drop a little more in price as well.

Nice login you got there;) . Yea I was thinking bout waiting till april for price cuts, but itll probably be no more than 100$ and its still more than a month away.
Correct me if Im wrong, but R600 is supposed to be out in the summer.(now thats way 2 long 2 wait).
Basically the only game now that I have probs running is the supreme commander(all nv options on high 8AA, 16AF) - runs sweet when game just begins or in the middle, but towards the end, with lots of units fps drop below 24 and it feels kinda uncomfortable playing. Do you think by upgrading to 66/67/68 and keeping my card for now, itll resolve s.commander issues?

Nice login you got there;) . Yea I was thinking bout waiting till april for price cuts, but itll probably be no more than 100$ and its still more than a month away.
Correct me if Im wrong, but R600 is supposed to be out in the summer.(now thats way 2 long 2 wait).
Basically the only game now that I have probs running is the supreme commander(all nv options on high 8AA, 16AF) - runs sweet when game just begins or in the middle, but towards the end, with lots of units fps drop below 24 and it feels kinda uncomfortable playing. Do you think by upgrading to 66/67/68 and keeping my card for now, itll resolve s.commander issues?

Hmm now you mention a RTS game. So I retract my previous statment since RTS games are CPU limited like almost no other. A core 2 duo would prove useful with those type of games.
12738oe7.png

As you can see from the benchmark taken from anandtech a core 2 duo could make a drastic improvement in real time stratagy games.

edit: To answer your question yes a core 2 duo may help you keep your current card longer in rts games. I would suggest a e6600 and a modest overclock.

Thx. I agree my cpu is a pile of junk. F*ckit, Im getting 6600 and ocin the crap out of it.

2.9 ( no over clock ) Extreme, 3 gig of Corsair 8500, P5N32-E Sli Plus, sli gts BFG 8800 3DMark 12974, I wish they make case with a 4 inch space at botom of Motherboard so the second Video card had more cooling room.....CHEERS

2.9 ( no over clock ) Extreme, 3 gig of Corsair 8500, P5N32-E Sli Plus, sli gts BFG 8800 3DMark 12974, I wish they make case with a 4 inch space at botom of Motherboard so the second Video card had more cooling room.....CHEERS

WTF? LOL , 3 GIG Corsair! OMFG! = 2 leet for the likes of me!

Back