Best PC Game of 2007?

EP2 seriously blew my mind away. It made me feel like no other game has and I'm sad that I have to wait who knows how long to get more of the HL2 story!!

next would be probably portal. like everyone is saying though, there's still some incredible games due out before the year's done.

Sorry guys, theres a lot more games coming out before the end of the year, so the best game of 2007 can't be judged just yet ;)

That's my opinion too. But until now, the best games of 2007 for me, were:

Best MP: Enemy Territory Quake Wars (I doubt this will change unitl the end of the year)
Best Single Player: STALKER (Crysis will take this spot for sure)
Best Expansion: Shivering Isles.

World in Conflict by a long shot, but there's quite a few games due out in the next 2 1/2 months that could change my mind.

was stalker this year or last?

anyway, stalker probably doesnt count, but if thats off the chart, then i wouldnt know what to nominate right now. i played the bioshock demo, and its just not for me

im thinking crysis has a good shot

UT3 might just surprise us as well, but the demo didnt quite impress me as much as i would have hoped, but that might have something to do with Epic having a hit and miss record with the demo maps (2k3 demo DM maps rocked, antalus and asbestos, 2k4 demo DM map sucked, onslaught map rocked etc..)

was stalker this year or last?

anyway, stalker probably doesnt count, but if thats off the chart, then i wouldnt know what to nominate right now. i played the bioshock demo, and its just not for me

im thinking crysis has a good shot

UT3 might just surprise us as well, but the demo didnt quite impress me as much as i would have hoped, but that might have something to do with Epic having a hit and miss record with the demo maps (2k3 demo DM maps rocked, antalus and asbestos, 2k4 demo DM map sucked, onslaught map rocked etc..)

Yes, STALKER was released this year.

not to take away from any of the games or opinions given here, i am just sursprised that bioshock is not more of contender. what i loved about it was that it wasn't your standard shooter, storyline, game play interaction graphics.

well we still have time before the end of the year and many more games

Portal!

Seriously, if it were up for a vote by itself, I wouldn't hesitate. That's the most fun I've had with a game in a long time; everything about it is just awesome. I can't wait to see what Valve has planned for it in the future (and if you played through with the developer's commentary enabled, you know there's more on the way). :D

Mac[X-D];1031538822 said:
not to take away from any of the games or opinions given here, i am just sursprised that bioshock is not more of contender. what i loved about it was that it wasn't your standard shooter, storyline, game play interaction graphics.

well we still have time before the end of the year and many more games

Bioshock was good in many ways but the widescreen debacle and the terrible mouse acceleration, mixed with the anti-piracy measures, is enough to lower my opinion on the game to the point where other inferiour games (in terms of gameplay) take a higher position when I'm ranking them.

Portal, for daring to be innovative in a sea of bland games that exist soley for the purpose of being "a new release" and therefore eligible to take your money.

HL2:EP2 for melting film and game together and coming out with some of the most exhilarating set pieces in gaming history.

and TF2 for finally breathing new life into the staid online FPS genre.

To find all three of them in one box, all with equally high standards of presentation, is just gaming nirvana. The Orange Box is easily the best purchase in the last few years.

I hope I haven't played 2007's best game, yet, because there hasn't been a great game for me so far this year. I really hope to say that Hellgate was a phenomenal game in '07 when I'm watching bowl games on Jan. 1, 2008.

Portal, for daring to be innovative in a sea of bland games that exist soley for the purpose of being "a new release" and therefore eligible to take your money.

HL2:EP2 for melting film and game together and coming out with some of the most exhilarating set pieces in gaming history.

To find all three of them in one box, all with equally high standards of presentation, is just gaming nirvana. The Orange Box is easily the best purchase in the last few years.

The Orange Box totally messes up my "game of the year" calculations. Does it count as one game, or three, or five? :p

As a whole, The Orange Box gets my vote for game of the year (so far).

Individually, Team Fortress 2 gets my vote for best multiplayer game. Portal and Half-Life 2: Episode 2 are good, but I liked BioShock more. The year's not over yet, though: Unreal Tournament 3, Call of Duty 4, Crysis and Assassin's Creed show some promise as well.

Agreed, I haven't played EP2 yet (just finished EP1 last night), but I'd have to say the Orange Box is the best "game" released in years, so many quality products in one! TF2 is a blast for online FPS. Portal was amazing and actually makes you think (I still try and figure out some puzzles for the challenge maps when I go to sleep :p)

The Orange Box totally messes up my "game of the year" calculations. Does it count as one game, or three, or five? :p

That's a really good point and it's going to become even more prevalent with the growth of digital distribution, especially since the consoles have adopted it as well.

I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R should win, but it prob won't have a chance because of how rough around the edges the game can be. Hopefully next year stalker clear sky will give them a better chance.

Right now, I would say my nomination goes to Portal. However, I say this after having just finished it a few days ago. In three months will I still view it as something so original, or will it just be a good game with a gimmick? I can't say for sure.

I think it depends on how you look at game of the year awards. A lot of review sites see themselves as sort of consumer buying guides, aiding gamers in their choices of what games to buy. From that perspective Orange Box would probably be one game.

However, a lot of people like to look at gaming as an art form. From that perspective, I think you would have to take Orange Box as 3 different games.

I think it depends on how you look at game of the year awards. A lot of review sites see themselves as sort of consumer buying guides, aiding gamers in their choices of what games to buy. From that perspective Orange Box would probably be one game.

However, a lot of people like to look at gaming as an art form. From that perspective, I think you would have to take Orange Box as 3 different games.

5, or are HL2, HL2:EP1, and HL2:EP2 1 game?

5, or are HL2, HL2:EP1, and HL2:EP2 1 game?
You don't usually consider games that weren't originally released in a given year as GOTY candidates, even if they are repackaged with new content (for instance, you wouldn't consider Oblivion: GOTY Edition as a 2007 GOTY candidate), so HL2 and Episode 1 wouldn't be individually considered for 2007 GOTY candidates.

Best multiplayer of the year is TF2 hands down. I don't think there's enough depth for it to be considered for straight out GOTY, but it easily wins in the multiplayer category. As far as GOTY goes, I'd have to hand it to portal as well. Despite being short, it was one of the most memorable experiences I've had gaming in quite a long time. It did something no fps has done before which is difficult to do with how stale the genre has become and managed to do it in a way that was both humorous and menacing at the same type. It really showcased the talent that valve has for setting atmosphere in a game without forcing it down your throat.

So far, I think we're looking at Portal. UT3 might be a contender for MP game of the year, gauging by the demo's response, but TF2 is also quite good.

Should have formulated this is a poll, really, with an Other option.

I'll chime in for Portal, despite some co-workers complaining that it's "too short" or "too easy."

As was mentioned, I'll go back and play it again for achivements and some of the bonus maps. It's not a disappointment. Especially since it was included with the Orange Box.

Two would be TF2. That's a game that, because of it's "team play" will never get old... well.... as long as there are other people on the server. :D

Best multiplayer of the year is TF2 hands down.
Don't you think that's at least a little bit presumptuous considering Enemy Territory, Call of Duty 4, Unreal Tournament 3, Crysis, and Gears of War are all coming out in the next 2 months? I'm not trying to knock TF2, it just seems that, for the online shooter genre in particular, it's way to early to be saying that anyone game is this years "hands down" best.

I think really, it is way to hard right now to just out and say some game is GOTY for PC. But perhaps something that is not nearly so difficult would be to break it down by genres.

RTS: World in Conflict - the production values really are what help it win out over SupCom
FPS: Gears of War PC - it was a great game on the x360, and it will be a great game on PC. Epic knows wtf they are doing, so I don't worry for one minute that controls will cause the game to suffer. In fact, hands-on reviews I've read say that the keyboard+mouse controls are even better than gamepad once you get used to it.
RPG: The Witcher - its not out yet, but I think it will be a great game, with several very innovative ideas at least.
Action-RPG: Hellgate: London - we all know that it may not be the best game ever, but it will probably be addictive as hell if Diablo is anything to go by.
Simulation: DiRT - great game, marred by a few bugs, but still a fun solid romp.
Multiplayer: Team Fortress 2 - hands down the best MP game to date. I have been playing it nonstop and have yet to get bored. UT3 will give TF2 tough competition, but in the end I think the unique classes, unique visual style, and great gameplay will beat out UT3's gamut of diverse choices on how to play.
3rd Person: Tomb Raider Anniversary - Don't get many 3rd person games on PC, but this is a gem I think. It takes a classic and recreates it into something even better than the original IMO.
Best Graphics: Crysis - we all know that with the very best system + DX10 this game will have no rival in terms of graphical fidelity.
Best Art Direction: Bioshock - I don't think many will argue that Bioshock had great art direction. The art deco underwater world was just beautiful to play in, in a way that Crysis, with all its graphical prowess, will be unable to match.
Puzzle Game: Portal - of course. This is a great little puzzle game. Hasn't really been much competition for it this year, which is why it will win hands down.

Couldn't think of any other genres off the top of my head. But these should be the major ones. As far as music/sounds go, I don't really stop to pay that much attn to them, so no elections from me :)

(This is all IMO!)

What made (makes) GoW such a great shooter? (Honest question not trying to cause a flame war :p)

Don't you think that's at least a little bit presumptuous considering Enemy Territory, Call of Duty 4, Unreal Tournament 3, Crysis, and Gears of War are all coming out in the next 2 months? I'm not trying to knock TF2, it just seems that, for the online shooter genre in particular, it's way to early to be saying that anyone game is this years "hands down" best.
Not really, no. Of that list, the only one that I think could give it a run is Gears.

- I own etqw and my opinion is that, while it's got a deeper, more tactical feel, the game isn't as fun and for me, that's what matters.
- CoD4 may be excellent, we don't know, but I was never a huge fan of the series. CoD2 was the best by far and away and it will be interesting to see how CoD translates into the modern day, but the early demo feedback has said that the single player outshines the multiplayer. Unless it gets back to the CoD2 roots, the multiplayer won't touch TF2.
- UT3 could make a run, but I feel like the game is getting stale at this point. It's a tried and true formula, but it's been done before and by the same studio. Granted, Epic always puts out well polished games, but it just isn't my cup of tea, especially because it hasn't really done anything innovative since it's introduction. I feel like they're resting on their laurels because they know the recipe will work.
- Crysis I am willing to write off right now. It could take GOTY, but not multiplayer. As far as I'm concerned, Far Cry was mediocre at best and the multiplayer was simply awful. I know I'll get flamed for that, but aside from the openness of the game, I didn't find it enjoyable at all. I would be surprised if Crytek pulls off anything different with Crysis, especially considering how much optimization still needs to be done based on the demo's performance.
- Gears is the only one that I think could knock off TF2 and that's based mainly around the hype the game garnered from it's xbox release. Admittedly, I haven't played it, but I'm looking forward to it. But from what I've heard, it suffers from slow player movement which will absolutely kill multiplayer if left alone on the PC. They will have to tweak the game to work with a mouse and keyboard and I'm wary of how well the porting will be done. Also, judging by the hardcore console fanboy's idea of a good shooter (Halo) I don't think the gameplay will be anything to write home about.

Given the enjoyment I've gotten out of TF2, I don't mind calling in the MP GOTY. Everything about the game is superbly done. It's extremely polished, and the art direction is top notch. The facial animations, voice acting, and overall aesthetic are refreshing in the recent quest towards hyperrealism. The fact that the game makes me laugh out loud fairly often doesn't hurt either.

This is all obviously speculation and opinion and I was just voicing mine. My bias might be something to worry about if I actually had a vote. :D

What made (makes) GoW such a great shooter? (Honest question not trying to cause a flame war :p)

For me? Amazing presentation and well done co-op. Playing the game through with a friend on split screen on high difficulty was just a blast. The cinamatic feel to the gameplay along with the immersion of the second player, like the first time you run into a Berserker heh.

The graphics were also great (and great didn't even do it justice at the time), but really it was the first two that won me over.

For me? Amazing presentation and well done co-op. Playing the game through with a friend on split screen on high difficulty was just a blast. The cinamatic feel to the gameplay along with the immersion of the second player, like the first time you run into a Berserker heh.

The graphics were also great (and great didn't even do it justice at the time), but really it was the first two that won me over.

Cool thanks :), I guess I'll try it out when the PC version comes out. Halo was always a huge console hit and I thought it was rather bland and boring compared to other PC FPSs, but it was a hit since it was on console.

Portal for 2 reasons:

1) Game play, nothing else like it

2) The song at the end :p

Bioshock or Portal.

Ep2 was one of the worst, and WiC was just not my style at all (I dislike the entire ground control series. I recognize that they're good games, they're just not my style of RPG).

So, Bioshock or Portal.

fps is a toss up. it could be cod4, stranglehold, orange box or etqw. well have to see which ends up being the best when cod4 is released. rts is locked up by world in conflict. goty will be guitar hero 3 (i know, im dreaming).

Portal. It was great on so many different levels. I personally enjoyed the storyline that you got fed, bits and pieces at a time. The computer voice was amazing. The puzzles were just right for the majority, imo. Not hard enough to be frustrating, but not easy enough to be boring. And the addition of bonus & challenge maps offers more content to hardcore players. The concept was fresh, if not entirely original. Overall it was very solid from start to finish.

I think EP2 did pretty well overall, but it had its ups and downs I guess, so not really GOTYworthy. the ending was spectacular and I personally enjoyed the car rides. However, it wasn't all that different from HL2 and EP2 so while it was still a quality game imo, it was similar quality to games we've seen for awhile now.

TF2 is also incredibly fun, but like others have mentioned, it's only multiplayer, so it prolly doesn't have a chance.

If they consider the orange box as one game, then it should definitely win. Individually the games are rather short(still decent bang for your buck though), but two are excellent and one is pretty damn good.

Then again, I haven't played Jade Empire for PC yet so...

A couple of candidates I didn't see mentioned yet, Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar and Sam & Max: Season 1.

My vote would be for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. This game has received a lot of bad press (and not without justification) due to its bugginess, even after released patches. But the storyline, freeplay and complex Chernobyl "universe" based on actual footage/site specifics gives it a real, tangible feel like no other. Not to mention the ballistics and physics in the game are simply awesome. Since you need to use your head more than a conventional "shoot 'em up" FPS, it makes for quite a realistic experience.

But just IMHO of course...:D

My vote would be for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. This game has received a lot of bad press (and not without justification) due to its bugginess, even after released patches. But the storyline, freeplay and complex Chernobyl "universe" based on actual footage/site specifics gives it a real, tangible feel like no other. Not to mention the ballistics and physics in the game are simply awesome. Since you need to use your head more than a conventional "shoot 'em up" FPS, it makes for quite a realistic experience.

But just IMHO of course...:D

as much as I loved stalker, and it's one of my favorite games of the last year, it's definitely not GOTY. WAY too many bugs, way too many glitches, and it didn't live up to its own hype. Great game though.

despite the technical issues: BioShock

Portal was a finely polished technology demo, not what I would call a full fledged game. And yes, size DOES matter.

TF2 - I love it. Ive played this more than anything all year. Close second.

Portal was a finely polished technology demo, not what I would call a full fledged game.

This is one of the most patently false statements I've ever read on these boards. Portal is not in any way like a tech demo. It has a fully realized gameplay mechanic that is well used, and more personality and style than any single player game I've played recently. It's no more a tech demo than TF2 is a mod.

Back