Best Party console...?

water1

Gawd
If you were going to buy a console to be used for party/gatherings of 5+ people that might have some video gamers in it but not all of them would be, what console has the best games for that type of setting ?

As a non-console person I thought it would be the WII but is this true ? Or just a myth that enters the non-console persons head ? How it enters I do not know but I thought party games ment WII ?

Could you (H)people ring in with some thoughts not just on what console you would choose but also a list of good party games to go with that console...Thanks

I'd say game is more important than console. Rock band gathers a crowd like nothing else. I brought it to a work party with a bunch of 40-50 yr old people who never gamed in their lives and they had a blast and couldn't stop playing.

and it's on every platform pretty much

I'm fairly sure there's not even a competition here: Wii is your best bet for parties, given the plethora of party games for the system. Everything from Rock Band/Guitar Hero to Mario Party and the Raving Rabbids games contributes to a helluva lotta fun in groups.

while the Wii is a neat party type console, you will get pretty bored of it yourself pretty quickly honestly, most of the big party type games, like Rock Band and Guitar Hero are much more enjoyable on a 360 or PS3 if you have it hooked to a proper HDTV with surround....like i imagine a proper party cave should be setup....

if it were me i would make sure whatever i got would be ok with me long term for single player fun for myself as well, because if you get bored with it you aren't going to be too keen on firing it up everytime "friends" come over after a while...

Wii all the way. Its also the easiest to carry around, IMHO. Just get one of the cordless bars. You'll want to carry it home for the holidays, etc. At thanksgiving, Bash Party stopped almost all of the bitching among the relatives. The Wii is a god sent.

Wii. Hands down. There is nothing that comes even close. The games are fun, you don't have to invest a lot of time in them, you can just pick them up and start playing straight away without worrying about a storyline or mechanics, and there's heaps of them.

while the Wii is a neat party type console, you will get pretty bored of it yourself pretty quickly honestly, most of the big party type games, like Rock Band and Guitar Hero are much more enjoyable on a 360 or PS3 if you have it hooked to a proper HDTV with surround....like i imagine a proper party cave should be setup....

if it were me i would make sure whatever i got would be ok with me long term for single player fun for myself as well, because if you get bored with it you aren't going to be too keen on firing it up everytime "friends" come over after a while...

It depends on the type of games you like. If you're into nothing but FPS and racing game rehashes, then sure, PS3 or 360 are the way to go. For me, I've found a LOT of enjoyment in some of Wii's clever games such as the Lost Winds series, A Boy and his Blob, World of Goo, the Metroid series (See, even an FPS!), De Blob, Mad World, and several other titles.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my 360, and I just bought a PS3 slim that I expect to love as well (primarily for the downloadable games and MGS4), but there's no discounting the fact that the Wii can be a lot of fun whether alone or with friends, if you like the kinds of games it has on offer. In some cases (admittedly rare), there are titles that just couldn't be done on the other consoles or wouldn't be as fun without the Wii's controls.

Most of the big party games are Wii exclusives.

New Super Mario Brothers Wii
Mario Cart Wii
The Raving Rabbids Series.
Boom Blox 1 & 2
Mario Party
I'm forgetting some others too.

All excellent Wii only party games. You can still play Rock Band and Guitar hero on the Wii. Sure it is in only EDTV and Dolby Digital Surround, but the Wii Guitars are $10 cheaper too. If the OP wants a SINGLE console for parties, the Wii is the only way to go.

Thanks for all the replys,
Looks heavy in the WII favor.
Tell me this, if you take out the guitar and rock band type of games for the XBOX and PS3 would there be any games left that you would call a "party game" for those two systems ?

Tell me this, if you take out the guitar and rock band type of games for the XBOX and PS3 would there be any games left that you would call a "party game" for those two systems ?

Nothing fantastic really stands out IMO. There are some "party" trivia games and a few arcade games, but nothing amazing.

I own all 3 systems, I can't think of any that like Grandma can pick up for the 360. However the PS3 has LBP, which goes over well at parties.

Pickings are pretty slim...

The only thing that springs to mind for 360as a stand out is the "Scene It" series of games. There are three different discs out for it now, it's a lot of fun. I bought my wife Trivial Pursuit for christmas. There's "family game night" which consolidates a bunch of the hasbro games into one disc, and I'm pretty sure monopoly. (But who doesn't own battleship or monopoly already?)

Nothing else really comes to mind.

If Rock Band/Guitar Hero did have sway in the decision, I would almost definitely vote the 360 back in, for that alone. I say this because of the plethora of cheap GH and RB games on the market right now, and the cheap white wired guitars that you can find for $10 a lot of the time.

The Wii really is the party game central, but so was the gamecube. Donkey Konga 1 and 2, and some bongos found used make an excellent addition to the Wii's lineup. Samba de Amigo was great on the dreamcast, and theres a version of it for the Wii now as well.

I "got rid" of my wii and the 360 is a hit at parties. I think if you want a system with more capabilities you should go with the 360 or PS3 since you do have more media options with the two.

Lips/Singstar is a biggie
Scene it?
DDR (well that's on the wii too)
xbox live arcade games (ton of them)
Viva Pinata Party Animals
You're in the Movies

But really nothing beats Rockband

I "got rid" of my wii and the 360 is a hit at parties. I think if you want a system with more capabilities you should go with the 360 or PS3 since you do have more media options with the two.

Lips/Singstar is a biggie
Scene it?
DDR (well that's on the wii too)
xbox live arcade games (ton of them)
Viva Pinata Party Animals
You're in the Movies

But really nothing beats Rockband

Scene it? is getting a PS3 and Wii version. As you said DDR is also on the Wii. The Wii has Lips/Sinstar like games. (I don't know if they are actually any good)

OP, are you married? With the fitness games on the Wii (there are ones that are quite a bit better than Wii Fit) the wife will get some more use out of the Wii. Also virtual console is a big deal at parties. I can't tell you how many times even with a PS3, 360 and a stack of Wii games someone busts out a 2 player game of SMB3 or even the original.

Rock Band and Guitar Hero are not graphically driven games. As in you can play it just as well on a 30" SDTV as a 50"+ HDTV. I also like how Guitar hero uses the internal Wii-mote speaker when you screw up.

If the OP was a console person like you Netrat33 or like myself, the choice of which console to use as a party console is up in the air. However is a person is going to have a single console mainly for parties, you can't beat the Wii hands down.

For example with Mario Cart Wii, you can take a person who is totally not into games and give them a Wii-mote in the wheel add-on. That chunk of plastic breaks down all barriers for the person. All I know is that when I have a party or family gathering, its great to see someone who couldn't operate a gamepad to save their life rocking out with Mario Cart.

wii probably has the largest collection of games that are meant for 4 player couch sitting. if thats what you want i'd get it. on the other hand the other two systems have better games and more of them

Gotta agree with the majority and say the Wii wipes the floor with other consoles for parties. Singstar and Buzz always get brought out but nothing gets the laughs going like the Wii.

Since I recently installed the Homebrew Channel the Wii is getting a shedload more use too.....

Depends on the party. I'd say a PS3 with SF4 and Tekken 6 and you would be good at my house.

But yeah your pretty much right about the wii for getting the nonconsole people in. At my brother in laws house we can get an hour or two out of Wii Sport while drunk.

360 has the scene-it games that are very good for grandma and non gamer types. They have specific controllers for the games even. They also have the you're in the movies games. Lips is a good party karaoke game with nice wireless mics that is quite good in groups.

I'd reiterate what others have said, if you're interested in the music genre, get the 360 and get your music games on that. The experience is not even close to being as good on the wii. DLC, importing of songs, it's all superior on the 360.

I own all 3 systems, I can't think of any that like Grandma can pick up for the 360. However the PS3 has LBP, which goes over well at parties.

Scene It! 1
Scene It! 2
1vs100
Fusion Frenzy 1
Fusion Frenzy 2
You're in the Movies
Lips
Small Arms
Uno
Worms
Rock Band 1
Rock Band 2
Guitar Hero(s)
DJ Hero
Street Fighter 4
Tekken 6

.. I mean I could go on and on listing party games for the 360. So when people say "Wii hands down!", no .. its not hands down, sorry.

Best party console is the keg. Various games like
Keg Stand
Beer Pong
For example. Also if you get the Deck of Cards expansion pack you can play
Catagories
Colors
And many many other drinking games. If you get the dice addon you can play
Villiage Idiot and others.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Keg Stand
Beer Pong
Catagories
Colors

qft - epic post.

I like fps games and only a few of them seem to allow for 4 people to play online on one console -- halo 3 is still the best at that imo.

If the OP was a console person like you Netrat33 or like myself, the choice of which console to use as a party console is up in the air. However is a person is going to have a single console mainly for parties, you can't beat the Wii hands down.

For example with Mario Cart Wii, you can take a person who is totally not into games and give them a Wii-mote in the wheel add-on. That chunk of plastic breaks down all barriers for the person. All I know is that when I have a party or family gathering, its great to see someone who couldn't operate a gamepad to save their life rocking out with Mario Cart.

I'm not saying it's not a good party system, just the "hands down" I think really isn't. No there aren't good karaoke games on the wii unless you like disney stuff. The wii does not have a hard drive making games like Rockband/GH that more flexible in the library of what can be played. And when I mentioned other "things" the consoles can do is store/stream music much better than the wii can. Half the time at parties I throw, the PS3 is doing it's cool globe screen saver while music is playing. Then when it's game time, well it's already on so it might get some action, or the xbox has the same type of thigns going on it too (trippy effects) Singstar you can make your own little videos.

Once again, not a bad party system! not saying that. But really expanding the though of how you can use a console beyond just the party or other ways to use the console in a party.

if we're talking lan party, go with 2 or 3 xbox 360's :)
but a more casual party with everyone on the couch using 1 tv, the wii might be your best bet.

Just had a party last night, not by choice, but a bunch of my friends showed up out of the blue drunk. The Wii was very entertaining and people were playing bowling and boxing for hours. It was pretty cool, since my Wii usually just sits around collecting dust.

Depends on the party. For family stuff, the wii is awesome. For a night with the brahs, 360 or ps3.

My housemate had a blast the past few times playing Mario Kart on the Wii with his friends. I can definitely imagine why :D

My vote is also on the Wii :)

The Wii is a much better party console. However it is only a party console. Outside of a golf game, I never play on the Wii by my self.

Keg Stand
Beer Pong
Catagories
Colors

:eek::cool:

I'll go with the Wii in most cases, BUT if you count watching movies as a party activity, the PS3 deserves an honorable mention.
Still, in 99% of cases, the Wii is better. If nothing else there are a multitude of mini-game complilations that people can pick up and learn to play in about 30 seconds. Party systems need to be easy to pick up. It's really what the Wii is all about.
Plus, there's stuff like Rock Band for the Wii, too.

Got a Wii just for when people come over. We always end up playing RB/GH or Scene it on the 360.

Most of the big party games are Wii exclusives.

New Super Mario Brothers Wii
Mario Cart Wii
The Raving Rabbids Series.
Boom Blox 1 & 2
Mario Party
I'm forgetting some others too.

All excellent Wii only party games. You can still play Rock Band and Guitar hero on the Wii. Sure it is in only EDTV and Dolby Digital Surround, but the Wii Guitars are $10 cheaper too. If the OP wants a SINGLE console for parties, the Wii is the only way to go.

Raving Rabbids had at least one game on the 360 although I never played it(they are great on the wii).

Anyway other wii part games.

Wii Sports
Wii Sports resort
Wii Play
Tiger Woods 2010(great game with wii motion plus)
Smash Brothers for people who have played games before.
Wario Ware although you need to beet it before multiplayer gets unlocked from what I remember.

Keg Stand
Beer Pong
Catagories
Colors

Very true.

having all 3 consoles, i can tell you that when people are over, 95% of the time theyre playing on the wii. even my girlfriends parents were playing wii sports bowling at christmas.

if they arent on the wii, then its either rockband on the 360 or littlebig planet on the ps3

I would say at my house it has to be the 360, when people start drinking they don't want to be flinging their arms around with our Wii. Most cases it's RB2, Lips, Hasbo Family Game Night (3D Battleship FTW) and Uno Rush.

And for the finale, strip Peggle;)

i need to find a copy of ramparts. that was a fun and simple game when people are over. i know there was a 4 player version for xbox on one of the arcade discs.

Wii wins 'hands down', simply due to the fact that it's entire market is the party market.

I find my group of douches play Wii Sports, Mario Kart 64 (wii version is trash), New Super mario brothers, Bloom Blox, and thats about it.

PC would be second but not everyone has 7 computers in there house.

Back