Best Overclocking GTX 460 1GB?

Daemas

Gawd
Currently I've got a Palit NE5X460SF1102 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Sonic for $250 at Microcenter ( yes I know it's $30 cheaper at Newegg, but I thought I was getting the Sonic Platinum and wasn't paying attention to the model number). Are there any differences between the two cards besides the factory OC?

Pretty much the highest i can get it is 850MHz Core / 2000MHz Memory. Which, while no slouch, is not 915/2400.

I see plenty of people hitting 900+ and seeing as I'm still in the return window for Microcenter, I'm wondering if I made the right choice. I will not be water cooling the card, air only.

These are the ones that my choice is probably going to come from. I really don't care about the factory clocks as long as i can get it above what I have now. Really don't care about warranty, but it would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance.

Are you tweaking the core voltage?

I've got a GigaByte GTX460 1G
- I was able to get 850MHz using the default Core voltage (0.0950V)
- and wtih a Core voltage of 1.087V, it was good for 930MHz.

- using MSI Afterburner to tweak the voltage

Are you tweaking the core voltage?

I've got a GigaByte GTX460 1G
- I was able to get 850MHz using the default Core voltage (0.0950V)
- and wtih a Core voltage of 1.087V, it was good for 930MHz.

- using MSI Afterburner to tweak the voltage

voltage is at 1.087 :(

I'm toying with the idea of taking back the sonic, and getting the sonic platinum, taking off the HSF and reapplying the paste and adding some heatsinks to the mosfets. But I don't really have a problem with temperatures, 90ish max. I realize that the lower the temps, the easier it is for the silicon to clock higher, but I'm not sure that that would get me anywhere near another 50MHz core / 100MHZ memory

EDIT: Also, I had an ATI 4850 before and uninstalled the drivers, used driver clean in safe mode, used CCleaner in safe mode etc. But there's still an ATi process running when i start up. I sincerely doubt that a couple rogue ATi files on my computer would be messing with an otherwise stable overclock, right?

EDIT2: I also have a sneaking suspicion that my voltage is too high. I've lowered my voltage from 1.087 to 1.025 and kept the clocks the same and it's fine. So I'm starting to think that the HSF/Paste/lack of mosfets just can't take 1.087 and the higher clocks together.

Last edited:
The Gigabyte is your best choice. Notice how many reviews it has at Newegg, and browse this forum for a bit (go back a few pages) to see some threads on this monster. It's awesome. See sig, mine is also at stock voltages (for now).

Something wrong somewhere
- on mine I was getting about 73C @ 930MHz, with 70% fan (which is the max for my card)
- so 90s for 850MHz sounds too high
- and probably the reason you can't clock higher

- check your fan settings

Also could just be that your case is heating up internally
- try running without the covers to see if the temps come down

something weird is going on.

turned voltaqge down from 1.087 to 1.025 and raised the core clock from 850 to 860, then 870, then 880.

I ran OCCT for 15min, and 10 min on 860 and 870 respectively. Both passed before I User aborted (no errors). So then I crank it to 880 and have it go for an hour. I come back from work and OCCT says it passed, no errors. High of like 84 or 85 degrees. While, when I open up my gpuz, it shows that it's at default clocks.

If there were no errors, then why would it downclock itself? and wouldn't the downclocking abort the OCCT test anyway?

EDIT: thinking about reapplying paste but Palit put the RMA tamper sticker on one of the screws. Does microcenter check that kind of shit before they accept returns?

EDIT2: Now when i try to do [email protected](which worked earlier today for 10minutes), it immediately gives me "nVidia Display driver has stopped responding, etc etc" The fuck?

Last edited:
i don't think it's right for you to return an item cause it doesn't overclock as well as you'd like it

i don't think it's right for you to return an item cause it doesn't overclock as well as you'd like it

well, personally, I'm going to go with the fact that it (MicroCenter's website) says "Sonic Platinum" edition, when it is in fact, just the "sonic" edition.

If you'd simply returned the card after finding it was falsely advertised, that's cool, but it's a bit dirty returning it because it won't overclock to a high level. The more people do this the higher the costs for the rest of us.

well, personally, I'm going to go with the fact that it (MicroCenter's website) says "Sonic Platinum" edition, when it is in fact, just the "sonic" edition.
Actually, the Microcenter seems to have the 'Sonic' priced higher than the 'Sonic Platinum', which is a bit wierd

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?Ntt=gtx+460&N=0&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

And if you ordered a 'Platinum' and got sent a non-Platinum, then you should return it, and demand the Platinum.

If you orderd a non-Platinum, thinking it was better than a Platinum, because it was higher priced, then good luck in returning it!

But you should just do this ASAP without messing around with the clocks, etc, and definitely don't dismantle it!

I am at 830/1660/1800 on stock voltage
Using Gigabyte GTX 460 1gb.
Are there any special mods that need to be done for the overvolt, or does it work out of the box from MSI afterburner (which is what I'm using)

Are there any special mods that need to be done for the overvolt, or does it work out of the box from MSI afterburner (which is what I'm using)

Yes, just use MSI Afterburner
- voltage is limited to V1.087V, and fan is limited to 70%

My Voltage thing is grayed out. Maybe that's what he is experiencing.

Yeah, I'd return that then while you still can. The heat is probably what is limiting your ability to OC. Get a version that is more overclocking friendly. Asus, MSI, EVGA, etc.

It doesn't matter what you think this is America, if you're not happy with a product for any reason then you have the right to return it. You don't even need a reason, just say you don't like it. As long as you have the receipt and packaging they can't refuse. I do it all the time.

It doesn't matter what you think this is America, if you're not happy with a product for any reason then you have the right to return it. You don't even need a reason, just say you don't like it. As long as you have the receipt and packaging they can't refuse. I do it all the time.

Really?

Even if the store has a no return policy. They can't refuse it even then? I guess I wasn't paying attention in school when they talked about the return policy in the Constitution.

Really?

Even if the store has a no return policy. They can't refuse it even then? I guess I wasn't paying attention in school when they talked about the return policy in the Constitution.

I am pretty sure he means that they can't refuse IF they have a return policy, which 99.9999% of retail stores do have.

Anyways, the EVGA cards had their fan speed unlocked to 100% in a recent bios update. Anyone have one of these and care to share temps at 100% fan?

Returns have nothing to do with America there is no 'right to return'.

Just because something is not illegal doesn't mean its right. Policies change because of people like you. The policies these companies set up aren't for people to 'test' products and see if they really like them or if they got a 'good overclocker'.

Just because something benefits me and is legal does not mean I will do it. I take into consideration right and wrong. If every one 'tried' out video cards the policies would change, the prices would rise. People need to stop being so selfish.

Good customers with real reasons to return a product will end up getting hit by huge restocking fees in the future and have to jump through hoops because of selfish people abusing the good return policies. But, of course, why think about the company, other people, or any one but yourself?

Last edited:
I am pretty sure he means that they can't refuse IF they have a return policy, which 99.9999% of retail stores do have.

Yeah, most stores do have a return policy. Some of them are no returns. For example, I just bought a GTX 460 from CompUSA. The policy, on that particular item, was no returns. Clearly stated on the website and my invoice. Newegg has a similar policy also on some items.

So of course they can refuse.

I take into consideration right and wrong. If every one 'tried' out video cards the policies would change, the prices would rise. People need to stop being so selfish.

I agree. Returning cards because they dont overclock to your satisfaction is bullshit, its selfish and costs the rest of us money. If you were so desperate to have an overclocked card, buy a factory overclocked one and dont whinge about and return products because they only work slightly above their advertised spec when you wanted them to run awesomely above advertised spec.

MSI GTX 460 HAWK is suppose to be the best for overclocking. Out on sept.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/msi-geforce-gtx-460-hawk/

The Overvolt on that is very high
- it says +200, so probably around 1150mV
- with a Fan of 100%

But also, the temp curve on Kombustor is still rising steeply
- so the screen shot was taken before it reached a stable temp...

So, I'm guessing it doesn't run at 1000MHz for very long!
;)

Last edited:
The Overvolt on that is very high
- it says +200, so probably around 1150mV
- with a Fan of 100%

But also, the temp curve on Kombustor is still rising steeply
- so the screen shot was taken before it reached a stable temp...

So, I'm guessing it doesn't run at 1000MHz for very long!
;)

Yeah, 64C but rising very sharply. I've also noticed with Kombuster, my card is stable in Kombuster at far higher clocks than it is in Furmark, Unigine Heaven or in games. I figured Kombuster would stress the card a lot, but apparently not, I can get about 40MHz higher in Kombuster than I can in Heaven before getting artifacts.

Yeah, 64C but rising very sharply. I've also noticed with Kombuster, my card is stable in Kombuster at far higher clocks than it is in Furmark, Unigine Heaven or in games. I figured Kombuster would stress the card a lot, but apparently not, I can get about 40MHz higher in Kombuster than I can in Heaven before getting artifacts.

Yes, I found that as well
- I thought Kombuster was a good test, but as you say, it seems it's easier on the card than Heaven, etc
- is Furmark still the ultimate test?

Heaven seems quite Heavy on the card too, and Stone Giant

I wonder what the problem with Kombustor is?

Returns have nothing to do with America there is no 'right to return'.

Just because something is not illegal doesn't mean its right. Policies change because of people like you. The policies these companies set up aren't for people to 'test' products and see if they really like them or if they got a 'good overclocker'.

Just because something benefits me and is legal does not mean I will do it. I take into consideration right and wrong. If every one 'tried' out video cards the policies would change, the prices would rise. People need to stop being so selfish.

Good customers with real reasons to return a product will end up getting hit by huge restocking fees in the future and have to jump through hoops because of selfish people abusing the good return policies. But, of course, why think about the company, other people, or any one but yourself?

Good points.

I'll add another one: So, you would rather go through the hassle of returning a lousy overclocking GPU to net a 5 FPS boost, if even that, and the cost to the company being passed on to the rest of us?! If you want a better gaming experience, buy a more expensive card!!!!!!! I guess some people don't pay any attention to how high you have to overclock to get a worthwhile FPS gain :rolleyes:

No matter how you slice it, businesses do pass the costs along to the consumer because they have to make money or they close their doors.

Back from Vacation.

Here's the screencap of the item that I bought.
palit.jpg

As you can see, it says Sonic PLATINUM. The circled model number is NE5X460SF1102. This is the model number for a regular sonic card, as per newegg, ewiz, amazon, etc. The model number for the platinum is NE5XHF1102

I tried to let it slide. Should I have checked the model number? I shouldn't need to. The elblem on the box just says sonic but the elblem iteself is a silver/platinum color, so i figured etc etc.

Anyway, It's going back. Probably gonna get the Gigabyte. Faster (or at least quieter), and cheaper. And not made by those schiesters at Palit (Putting mosfets on all of the review samples and then calling them just "engineering samples" when it came time to ship all the 460s without them.)

Back from Vacation.

Here's the screencap of the item that I bought.
palit.jpg

As you can see, it says Sonic PLATINUM. The circled model number is NE5X460SF1102. This is the model number for a regular sonic card, as per newegg, ewiz, amazon, etc. The model number for the platinum is NE5XHF1102

I tried to let it slide. Should I have checked the model number? I shouldn't need to. The elblem on the box just says sonic but the elblem iteself is a silver/platinum color, so i figured etc etc.

Anyway, It's going back. Probably gonna get the Gigabyte. Faster (or at least quieter), and cheaper. And not made by those schiesters at Palit (Putting mosfets on all of the review samples and then calling them just "engineering samples" when it came time to ship all the 460s without them.)

Im not sure what all the fuss is about. OP's true motives for returning the card may be a bit skewed but the fact remains that MC made a mistake and should rectify it.

On my MSI afterburner, I see the voltage area grayed out / unmovable - what gives?

@ kainzo : It's an option you have to enable in the menu.

Something wrong somewhere
- on mine I was getting about 73C @ 930MHz, with 70% fan (which is the max for my card)
- so 90s for 850MHz sounds too high
- and probably the reason you can't clock higher

- check your fan settings

Also could just be that your case is heating up internally
- try running without the covers to see if the temps come down

What case do you have?
I have a antec 1200 and have 2 optional 120mm fans installed for my cards and i'm getting the same temps...sli then.

Does anyone hate these coolers evga put on them?
I'm a fan but they better don't do that again or they lose 1.
What a crap, piece of shit light weight cooler.
I took it off to replace the thermal paste and it looked cheap like they are going out of business.

Question: I know you can edit the bios using nibitor but is there a way to edit the fan control in the bios?

For those who don't know yet: let nibitor read your bios then where it say's "ID unsupported" select gtx480.
rescan the bios in adv. tab and tada in tools menu you now have 2 fermi options.
- Fermi voltage
- Fermi clocks

Don't forget to set the ID tag back to the "unsuported" one @ the bottom of the list before you save the bios file, otherwise you're card is f*cked when you flash it.
It worked for me. ( No more software overcloking yeah! I hate that.)

Last edited:
Back