Best overclocking 939 nf4 motherboard

poison123

Limp Gawd
Do you guys have any suggestions on what the best board for this would be? I'm rma'ing/returning a DFI Ultra-D because the chipset fried itself for no reason while I was installing it. So I'm looking for a good replacement overclocking board up to 200 bucks.....so any suggestions?

Please tell me your kidding? Did you not see the 12938749934597802 posts on how good the DFI Lanparty series is? *thinks to himself "hmmm this person could be partially blind, better be nice*

Sorry DFI LanParty anything is where you want to go

If I had money, I woulda opted for the SLI-DR Expert. It has the new layout:

-more room between successive PCI-E slots
-rotated 90degrees, ram slots moved.

It'll run you $180+, which is quite a bit above the <$130 Ultra-D.
If you're planning to do SLI, the DR Expert is your choice, no question.

because the chipset fried itself
This worries me - just how much experience do you have putting PCs together?

I've been building machines for over 15 years. I had the computer sitting on my desk and had fans blowing directly on the board chipset and it still went well over 50c. It was just a bad board.

maybe it was the cpu not the board. how much is well over 50 c they should take temps of up to 90 c. u should check its not the cpu thats the problem.

What about PSU, RAM, etc.?

DFI-Street has a listing for recommended PSUs and RAM. I'm running pretty craptacular PC3200 (3-3-3-8 lol), but it runs.

Went through the ram with the onboard ram test several times for each stick. I also checked with ram I know for a fact is good from another system. Besides the lan ports were wigging out and refusing to work period. I doubt its the cpu since it was working perfectly fine before I put it into that board and the same with the powersupply.

best overclocking board tccd ram is ultra-d. best for bh5 or infineon is expert. i'm reading expert is having some probs with psu's. if you dont want another dfi, try epox 9npa series or the tforce.

Best 939 boards:

DFI SL-DR expert or the Asus A8N32. I have the SL-DR (not expert) and I love it. Get a good PSU, like the power & cooling 510SLI version

I've got a silverstone SLI powersupply. The psu is fine. And my point on the chipset is I built the machine safely out of the case to install and had fans blowing directly onto the chipset and the machine was doing nothing and the stupid chipset still heated to well over 50c in no time. Add in the fact when I managed to get XP installed neither of the nics wanted to work period. Ya know bad boards just happen.

Get the DFI expert, thats my new route after opty 146 comes in...can't wait for the fun to begin. :D

only reason i didnt go DFI is theres no post code window and i NEED it cuz i suck at putting em together. got me an an8 ultra . and why is the ultra-D better for TCCD ram? i have that ram and was wondering maybe i can become a DFI converter. also does DFI have a windows overclocking utility? like abit's GURU?

tvdang7 said:
only reason i didnt go DFI is theres no post code window and i NEED it cuz i suck at putting em together. got me an an8 ultra . and why is the ultra-D better for TCCD ram? i have that ram and was wondering maybe i can become a DFI converter. also does DFI have a windows overclocking utility? like abit's GURU?

i dont know why its better for tccd ram, thats just the way it is. you will get more out of your tccd on the ultra-d than any other board. dfi does not have an overclocking utility like oc guru but on the driver cd there is a copy of clockgen, also a copy of smartspeed. you can use systool also, which will overclock everything thru windows, and allow you to change ram timings while in windows, and run stability tests, and monitor your fan speed, temps and voltages.

ic. too bad theres not a brand out there that abit +dfi

abits make life easier stuff + DFI's high overclock ability for the 9 and 10 multiplier people.

Yeah, but A64 Tweaker let's other mobos use the same 143/150 dividers that DFI has. In effect, the only real thing you get a DFI for is voltages and generally OC-ability.

If you only need something like 250-270FSB, pretty much any board will give you that. But when I found out my Opty did 10 x 300 (with not that much voltage), I probably could have gone with another board.

Meh.

well i have a 165 coming and im not sure how high my an8 ultra goes but imsure ill need every mhz HTT i can get. ima be on water also.

Just a update I got the Expert board and damn is all I gotta say. Installed perfect and I mean perfect. Hell even the raid 1 hd's worked. I love monarch :)

Bleh Newegg pwnz Monarch..

Good to see that you got yourself setup and going. DFI is definitely way to go.

Back