best OS to use

I mean for a cxo mputer, Like windows 7 is what I use now. Should I upgrade to 8? Or stick with 7. I use 8 on my laptop so I can play games that I would need bluestacks for on windows 7

OS/2 is for computers. It was a contender against Windows. I say stay with 7. Windows 10 will be for free if you have 7 or 8 installed.

Whichever one you can get cheaper. That's my default answer for between 7 and 8.

Best OS to use: the one that you feel most comfortable and productive with.

People who seemingly don't even know how to module.h properly are always telling me that Linux is the best OS to use, but I've always had my best experiences on Windows 8.1, so that's what I recommend.

People who seemingly don't even know how to module.h properly are always telling me that Linux is the best OS to use, but I've always had my best experiences on Windows 8.1, so that's what I recommend.

I've had my worst experiences on Windows 8.1. Breaks compatibility with some legacy games for example. And the user interface is still clunky as hell even though they brought back the start button.

Do you like Windows 8? If so, it comes down to price. Whatever you can get for the lowest cost. 8 is fine, works great and gets the job done. If you don't like the UI or find something doesn't work, install 7.

Personal preference and price. Compatibility to a small degree (I've yet to find something that didn't run on 8).

Thanks guys, for delivering EXACTLY the thread I expected to see after reading the initial post. :)

Thanks guys, for delivering EXACTLY the thread I expected to see after reading the initial post. :)

Well, it's very subjective. The best OS for me is Windows 10. The best OS for Mr. Big is Gentoo Linux. Steve Jobs was Mac OSX. We all have our needs, our budget, our knowledge base. We use what works for us at a price we can afford and what we know how to use. There is no real answer for "The best OS" for everyone. As much as I love Windows, I still don't think it's the best OS for a lot of things. Windows 8 is great, but there are many times when Windows 7 is much better.

I am more comfortable with the windows set up. Thank you for all the replies and input on this. As for price on the Os, it isnt a big deal. I take a computer course so I can basically get what ever OS I want. I use Windows 7 on this rig, Windows 8 on my computer at school and Windows 8 on my laptop. Is windows 10 going to be worth the upgrade you think?

And I apologize, I should have been more specific on the type of OS i was trying to get some info on, Mainly windows OS. Thanks again

Windows 10: From playing with the technical previews - yes, it will be worth going to. Free upgrade for Windows 7 & 8 users. So, if you buy now you can upgrade later.

Windows 10: From playing with the technical previews - yes, it will be worth going to. Free upgrade for Windows 7 & 8 users. So, if you buy now you can upgrade later.

I just built a new computer last night and installed the W10 preview on it. Was a total pain trying to get the Battlelog plugin to work. Chrome didn't work with it at all and IE required several tries and only a reboot later it started working.

Judging from that it's probably not going to be just smooth sailing yet - or possibly ever.

I just built a new computer last night and installed the W10 preview on it. Was a total pain trying to get the Battlelog plugin to work. Chrome didn't work with it at all and IE required several tries and only a reboot later it started working.

Judging from that it's probably not going to be just smooth sailing yet - or possibly ever.

Wow. You had some issues there. Definitely not the norm, though. For me and many others, Chrome and IE work excellent. Battlelog, I can see... I've had a couple things stop working for me, too, with the latest build. After a couple fixes or a reinstall, they work fine. Still, pre-release software, though.

Wow. You had some issues there. Definitely not the norm, though. For me and many others, Chrome and IE work excellent. Battlelog, I can see... I've had a couple things stop working for me, too, with the latest build. After a couple fixes or a reinstall, they work fine. Still, pre-release software, though.

Origin is also giving me intermittently problems with registration. Games report they can't be opened due to missing reg info, then it works when reopening.

This never happened on Win7. Other than that it seems to work pretty well.

Well I think my plan is to use windows 10 when I can get it. Is it just an upgrade or do u get windows 10 and can install it where ever?

Just to help this thread out i'll toss my vote in for Windows NT.

Honestly, any OS that doesn't try to feed you any other information than what you request...... looking at you windows 8.1 ....OH GOOD A GIANT TILE LABELED "SHOPPING"!! Damn, thanks microsoft, I had no idea where to find stuff to buy on the internet before you integrated it into some giant ugly pastel insult on what used to be a perfectly functioning desktop.

And yes I am using windows 8.1. I kinda hate myself.

I kind of miss Microsoft Bob. I can't even remember what OS carried it. 95 maybe? Clippy also helped me on many of my papers

EWWWW. I worked on a machine from the early 90's that had AIX on it... huge piece of turd is what it was.

I vote for DOS 6.22 with WIN98SE. Almost all the best games can be played on it!

For real though.. Win8.1 is just fine as long as you use a start menu replacement.

The metro interface and the "start button" are both crap.

Desktop mode with a start menu replacement makes all the difference.

EWWWW. I worked on a machine from the early 90's that had AIX on it... huge piece of turd is what it was.

Out of all the big $ Unix flavors I've used (Solaris, HP-UX, Irix, AIX, etc), AIX is my favorite. I assure you, AIX is much more impressive on newer larger scale machines.

Back