Best OS for web server?

dalearyous

[H]ard|Gawd
i am fairly decent with php, html, and few other web site development languages and ubuntu and suse for linux OS. however, i have always used off site or 3rd party servers to host my website. i want to bring it in house now that i have an extra computer (dual core opteron) and my fancy new fios internet. from what i have read and understand most do it in linux. i have messed with apache servers etc... before but only in windows. any recommendations on best form of linux? im leaning towards ubuntu but could go wherever.

any other thoughts or ideas feel free to post.

Ubuntu is fine for home servers. I prefer Debian. If you know Ubuntu, Debian is basically the same.

thats what i figured, and the community seems to be large enough where i could find help easily if i get stuck. i am not expecting too much traffic on my web site and will only have roughly 4 gigs of files available for download.

Debian, freeBSD, CentOS

You really cant go wrong just pick one and go to town.

Ubuntu Server or Debian (effectively the same). Both are very easy to use, and you can install GUIs on Ubuntu Server in a snap (apt-get install ubuntu-desktop) should you need it.

I personally use Ubuntu, and haven't had any problems with it. It was easy to setup all the various things I wanted, and it has been running great. The only real problem is it's on a very old machine, and I'd like to setup a server on some better hardware.

I will put in another vote for Ubuntu Server. Plus ubuntuforums.org is available if you have any problems.

you wont be able to host your website unless you have a plan that does not block incoming port 80 connections, like a business plan.

Personally i've always been a redhat man since 7.3 - great OS. but ubuntu is good if you're unsure of what you're doing.

you wont be able to host your website unless you have a plan that does not block incoming port 80 connections, like a business plan.

Personally i've always been a redhat man since 7.3 - great OS. but ubuntu is good if you're unsure of what you're doing.

You can use a service like no-ip or dyndns to do URL forwarding so that your server is on a port like 3800, but this is transparent to the user. However, hosting servers on non-commercial plans is against the Verizon EUA last I checked, but as long as the traffic isn't noticeable...

I use Debian for servers out of habit, since it's the distro I'm most familiar with, aside from Red Hat-based distros like Red Hat and CentOS. So I'd recommend either Debian or CentOS, unless you need some Windows-specific functionality like running .NET applications on your site.

Cent OS 4 / 5 ( free clone of Redhat Enterprise 4 / 5 ) with apache or lite httpd

Debian, freeBSD, CentOS

You really cant go wrong just pick one and go to town.

Yea what he said. Ubuntu would be fine too(it is pretty much just debian).

Anyway if you are running something serious you need a business plan. If not the home plan and no-ip should be fine.

Back