Best OS for Home network

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi guys im planning to move over my old single core pentium 4 3ghz components inside a new case that houses multiple hdd's and running it as a server 24/7 with the following apps/purposes:

SAB nzb server
Tomcat server
File sharing server
Music streaming
Backup functionality.

I was wondering what's the best and easiest OS that can do all of the above. I don't mind a linux distro, in fact im leaning towards a linux OS as i want to learn it but wondering if maybe there is a linux OS that offers both ease of use setting up and also ability to tweak stuff even further.

I also want to access some of the above apps/services remotely via website link and even putty for any low level access.

cheers in advance

How do you plan on streaming the music? Just simple file share or are you using an app. for it? Various versions of Windows has streaming tech in it. Backup, again depends on how you are doing it and what apps you want to use. File sharing is simple with most OS's. I'm not familiar with running a Tomcat or SAB nzb server, so that is someone else's ares to advise on.

If you decide to go Windows, I would suggest making your file server into an FTP server as well. You might as well have access to your data anywhere if you are going to do it. Filezilla was pretty easy to set up and if you don't need to upload files, you can use IE from virtually any computer to download off of it without installing anything extra on the host.

stream music on my other windows machines, my ps3 and my xbox 360.

Also would love to upload as well o and to run SVN.

right now, i actually do run tomcat, sabnzb and visual svn on my htpc(which currently is my pentium4 and moving that in new case and buying new htpc parts) Using windows 7

Vista and 7 already have media sharing easily accesible. It may be under Home groups. If you have access to a copy of Windows Home Server, it supposedly is designed for streaming and file backups both. I am not sure if you need to use Windows Media Player for all of it or not, but it does seem to work smooth. They should also all be enough for the servers you want to run. I would still use an FTP program like Fielzilla for the FTP stuff though.

Back