Best OS for Gaming, Win 7, 10 or?

The-Tmann

Supreme [H]ardness
I am setting up a new build
I don't want hassles or issues that come out of nowhere, (autoupdates on 10 for example)

This is for gaming only, Steam etc...

Advice on the OS you like / use?

As DX12 gets more and more usage, do you really want to be left behind on a machine built specifically for gaming?

As DX12 gets more and more usage, do you really want to be left behind on a machine built specifically for gaming?
Simply reason as that, hence I upgraded my gaming machine. My personal machine still runs Win7

My little NCASE M1 has W10 on it and I like it fine (admittedly I'm still getting used to it). Its my Lanbox so doesn't get used as much as my main gaming rig which runs W7 which I like fine as well. As I build new PCs for myself and family I will go with W10. However my current W7 gaming rigs won't ever see W10. I don't do Window O/S upgrades. I only do fresh new clean installs of Windows when I build a new PC. I learned a long time ago never to do O/S through upgrades. So I say this. When its time to build a new rig go W10. If current rig runs W7 then stay with it. Sounds silly but that's just how I am and think.

My little NCASE M1 has W10 on it and I like it fine (admittedly I'm still getting used to it). Its my Lanbox so doesn't get used as much as my main gaming rig which runs W7 which I like fine as well. As I build new PCs for myself and family I will go with W10. However my current W7 gaming rigs won't ever see W10. I don't do Window O/S upgrades. I only do fresh new clean installs of Windows when I build a new PC. I learned a long time ago never to do O/S through upgrades. So I say this. When its time to build a new rig go W10. If current rig runs W7 then stay with it. Sounds silly but that's just how I am and think.
I don't have any issues with Win7 -> Win10 upgrades and I did 7+ machines. You do get the latest security updates though right?

I don't want hassles or issues that come out of nowhere, (autoupdates on 10 for example)
The Windows 10 edition that is installed by OEMs and targeted towards typical users (Windows 10 Home) will download and install updates automatically. But the pro version can be configured to only download and install updates at the user's discretion.

If it's a gaming machine you'll be installing it on, you'll want Windows 10 Pro. That is assuming you choose 10 over 7.

The way to configure the automatic update is buried somewhere in the group policy I believe. It is a hassle to edit but worth it. Google it to find the solution.

The Windows 10 edition that is installed by OEMs and targeted towards typical users (Windows 10 Home) will download and install updates automatically. But the pro version can be configured to only download and install updates at the user's discretion.

Just like MS to make you pay more to do things the way you want.

Until DX12 gets rolling, you can use 7, 8, or 10 without much (if any) performance differences. Use whatever you prefer. Once DX12 kicks in, I'd assume Win 10 will be the only way to fly.

What benefits does DX12 bring to the table today? I didn't even know it was out in the wild.

What benefits does DX12 bring to the table today? I didn't even know it was out in the wild.

BO7rmKK.jpg

So far, graphically we haven't seen any improvement. It's a closer to the metal API, which for 80% of us doesn't matter as NVIDIA drivers have done a great job in DX11 and earlier at using all the available resources.

However, for AMD cards, we're seeing huge improvements. In properly coded games they're finally getting the performance that their reported FLOPS would indicate.

Last I looked (the other day) on NE W10 OEM was cheaper than W7 OEM so that may make a difference to some who are budget minded.

Depends on some things ,

do you want to give your pc to microsoft to do whatever they please with it ?

2nd do you plan to play moded dx9 games (ala skyrim) cause with win 10 and dx9 your limited to 4gb of video card memory. which will limit the graphics mods you use and enbs.

to me that is two of the biggest drawbacks of win 10.

there is other issues in emulation and some older software as well but thats all fiddly stuff any how.

as it stands today win 7 is the best gaming platform out there.

maybe in 2 years time we might have a win10 version that down give control to microsft.

or maybe there will be a credible option to switch to linux.

anyways win 10 demands to much takes away even more from the end user and offers to lil to really to make the switch .

stick with 7 enjoy knowing you can mod older games and microsoft wont bork your os when they decide you need or dont need whatever feature they do or dont want you using.

Reactions: SoFGR
like this
Why limit your options? Multiboot! I got 8.1 and 10 Pro running together on this beast. I'd go with a W7 and W10 dual boot if I were building a new PC. But to be honest I haven't booted into W10 since installing it a couple of weeks ago.

My 300 + games play fine with win 7. So I'll stay with 7. And for dx 12. When there is enough games that really use it then maybe. But I got a couple more years without dealing with win 10 bullshit.

Win 7. There is no reason to switch to Win10 despite what the fanboys/shills/NSA-plants say. DX12? OoooOOOOoo you can get 123fps in Ashes of the singularity instead of 109fps.

I run a dual boot system and still only play games in Win 7. There hasn't been a single DX12 only game I wanted to play so far. I personally dislike Win 10 for many reasons so I think the best way to do it is to have a dual boot system one for your daily use and then Win 10 for when you can't get around it like with DX12 only games. Unfortunately if you only want one OS installed you'll want the 1980's Windows 1.0 looking GUI, privacy stealing, removing your control of what your OS is allowed to do, forced updates that at some point will probably break your already working hardware/software with no opt out, Win 10 as your OS for a game only system. Also bear in mind Win 7 is officially not supported anymore by 2020.

"Left behind" = nonsense. It'll be years before DX12 hits its stride as long as there is such a big combined pool of Win7/8/8.1 machines. No financial incentive for devs to target DX12-only and lose half the potential sales, which leaves DX11-focused titles with a few DX12 features bolted on as afterthought for the boxcover bulletpoint.

OP: Windows 8.1 with StartIsBack is currently the best version of Windows if you care at all about privacy and control over things like updates.

Windows 7/8.1 = you ride the horse
Windows 10 = the horse is riding you

Last edited:
Reactions: SoFGR
like this
I've been on 10 since RTM and had absolutely zero issues whatsoever. Currently on Anniversary (CU3 1607) and going strong.

Back