Best OS for 4800 series

SonDa5

Supreme [H]ardness
Getting ready to put a Q9550 with Xfire HD4850 in a DFI P45 jr MB.

I have Windows XP 32bit.

Should I upgrade to 64bit or Vista?

I'm looking for best operating system to do well in 3dmark06, folding@home and gaming.

Nothing wrong with XP, but IMO if you want 64 bit, don't mess with XP, go vista...

in 32bit...

XP SP3 is a dam nice OS

If you're looking for 64-bit, then definitely Vista. It's actually a decent OS, it just gets a lot of misguided press. Don't worry about what's best for 3Dmark06, all that does is shine your e-peen.

If you're looking for 64-bit, then definitely Vista. It's actually a decent OS, it just gets a lot of misguided press. Don't worry about what's best for 3Dmark06, all that does is shine your e-peen.

What about for folding@home and game play?

Why Vista 64bit for a quad core ATI xfire machine?

Yea, DX10 is finally getting viable between hardware upgrades and developer progress. Far Cry 2 and the latest LOTRO client both provide very playble framerates under DX10 so go for it, no reason not to at this time.

I have Windows XP 32bit.

I'm looking for best operating system to do well in 3dmark06, folding@home and gaming.

64 bit vista is win

Xp-64 is, by almost all reports, not a great OS.

Vista is decent enough. With some time spent configuring services and whatnot, you can pretty much make it almost identical to XP.

Vista 64 has been fine for over a year easily, you just get these diehard numbers guys that see .5 less FPS and freak out over the 'evil vista resource hogging' while they're stuck with like 2.5gigs of addressed ram due to a xfire or sli setup with 1.5 - 2gigs worth of vid card ram on a 32 bit XP, awesome!

XP 64 is more of a mish mash, that I wouldn't suggest for any consumer.

Vista is decent enough. With some time spent configuring services and whatnot, you can pretty much make it almost identical to XP.

Why would you need to configure 'services and whatnot'
Vista is more than fast enough right out of the gate, once the preload software kicks in 2 weeks or so in it'll be just as fast if not faster than the XP machines currently out there.

i've used xp x64 for years never a problem, what exactly are these complaints people have with it?

it acts exactly like xp32..................

Use Vista x64, you won't regret it.

XP is great, it had its time and that time has gone.

Vista x64 will take full advantage of everything you are building, XP will not.

Vista 32bit is fine but personally I've had much better luck with x64 as far as Vista goes.

I recommend checking out LastV X64 or Prophecy X64, Fantastic Vista "distro's", and before anyone chimes in with anti Piracy crap there is NO reason they have to be pirated or illegal, use a real paid for key and don't install the optional software. The tweaked and customized OS is worth it!

About the only thing the 4800 series has on Nvidia right now is DX10.1 support... and for that you must have Vista. Why does this thread exist? Vista 64bit Home Premium. The same thing we tell /everyone/ else that asks this or a similar question. Use search next time, don't start a new pissing match when there were 20 last week.

Why would you need to configure 'services and whatnot'
Vista is more than fast enough right out of the gate, once the preload software kicks in 2 weeks or so in it'll be just as fast if not faster than the XP machines currently out there.
Because it is always better to have more control over your OS and know what processes/services are running and what they are doing (like phoning home and other things they don't always tell you). If you go through the Tweakguides Vista optimazations or even an online list of what the services do and decide what you want to run, you usually get higher frame rates and a more stable system with MORE MEMORY for GAMING MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (Whoops, it's time to take my meds now). But seriously, the more you know what services are running can help especially if something new pops up like a new process and you didn't recently load or change anything. I have found a couple of virii and trojans on my 'puter just from seeing a new process suddenly show up.

Because it is always better to have more control over your OS and know what processes/services are running and what they are doing (like phoning home and other things they don't always tell you). If you go through the Tweakguides Vista optimazations or even an online list of what the services do and decide what you want to run, you usually get higher frame rates and a more stable system with MORE MEMORY for GAMING MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (Whoops, it's time to take my meds now). But seriously, the more you know what services are running can help especially if something new pops up like a new process and you didn't recently load or change anything. I have found a couple of virii and trojans on my 'puter just from seeing a new process suddenly show up.

Don't listen to this guy. Never mess with services in Vista. MS has done a far better job with the initial setup than they did with XP, and unless you have some kind of special circumstance, they do in fact know better than you what ought be running on their OS. That said, yes the process list is a good way to find potential virii, but generally speaking a decent antivirus app will do just fine and save you the trouble.

Don't listen to this guy. Never mess with services in Vista. MS has done a far better job with the initial setup than they did with XP, and unless you have some kind of special circumstance, they do in fact know better than you what ought be running on their OS. That said, yes the process list is a good way to find potential virii, but generally speaking a decent antivirus app will do just fine and save you the trouble.

silent-circuit, while I agree that the Vista implementation of services is much cleaner than XP, I disagree on installing it and forgetting it. It still pays to optrimize your services and while is is a much cleaner and easier job than under XP, I still perform a few adjustments like disabling Infrared monitor service and tablet PC imput service because I don't use those items on my 'puter. I also look for any security holes lile remote register and close them. That's why I suggested he go through the tweakguide or at least research what a servicve does. If he follows proper practice, he should back the services list up in case a change makes the system unstable can restore it. Kind of like making darn sure you back up your registry before you go mucking about in it. That registry backup has saved me several times over the years when I mistakenly deleted the wrong key and made a mess of it. YMMV. Also lets agree to disagree before the FrgMstr comes down on both our heads. Not a flame, just a difference in opinion.

Some of us Folding@Home guys do run XP x64. Mostly the nVidia users who are running 4 x 9800GX2.

Vista is not able to load all 8 x GPU, only 5. XP x64 is the only choice to use all GPU's.

Also, my Quad ATI 4850 Systems are more stable in XP x64 then Vista x64.

Xp x64 is actually very stable and hard to crash.

I have no problem finding drivers for hardware and ATI does release drivers for XP x64 in every driver package.

As a general OS, I would not use it, but it works really well for what we need it for.

I have Windows XP 32bit.

thats a mistake. do not run a 45nm quad on the dfi dk p45. i did (the full size version) and it ran like crap. 45nm quads run like crap on all the dfi p45 boards. duallies run fine. check the dedicated thread over at xs intel forum. anyway, i have been running v64 ult for 1 1/2 years and its great.

XP x64 is actually very stable and hard to crash.

O'Rly? A day won't pass that explorer or some app will bomb out because of an illegal operation or just plain bluescreen under XP x64. Vista, on the contrary, has been rock stable on my current rig.

So, my vote is for Vista x64.

/thread

This is a really good thread going on here.

Here are my thoughts. My q6600 box was running for over a year with XP64. Everyone I know personally, would talk shit about it all the time and none of them ever used it. All I would hear was Vista this and that. XP64 was more stable than my XP32Pro box.

Now, there are plenty of drivers out there and to let you know XP64 is quite good, though it can only run DX9. The funny thing is that my current machine was running DX9 and netting better FPS with my 8800gts than my buddy running a similar setup running DX10.

ATI driver support wise, I had issues loading 8.12 with XP64. The original drivers that came from Sapphire were working decently. So, I bit the bullet and just upgraded to Vista Ult.64. I have experienced some instability but, that was due to upgrading my BIOS and jacking with my oc'ing. Then there was the memory patch for the OS.

But, I did install the new 8.12 sapphire drivers and the hotfix and I haven't had any video issues. After the intial install, I did experience a black screen but, booted into safe mode and disabled crossfire.

See sig for setup.

This is a really good thread going on here.

Here are my thoughts. My q6600 box was running for over a year with XP64. Everyone I know personally, would talk shit about it all the time and none of them ever used it. All I would hear was Vista this and that. XP64 was more stable than my XP32Pro box.

Now, there are plenty of drivers out there and to let you know XP64 is quite good, though it can only run DX9. The funny thing is that my current machine was running DX9 and netting better FPS with my 8800gts than my buddy running a similar setup running DX10.

ATI driver support wise, I had issues loading 8.12 with XP64. The original drivers that came from Sapphire were working decently. So, I bit the bullet and just upgraded to Vista Ult.64. I have experienced some instability but, that was due to upgrading my BIOS and jacking with my oc'ing. Then there was the memory patch for the OS.

But, I did install the new 8.12 sapphire drivers and the hotfix and I haven't had any video issues. After the intial install, I did experience a black screen but, booted into safe mode and disabled crossfire.

See sig for setup.

8.12 in general is a unstable release.

if you have 3 or more gigs of ram plus a 1 GB video card or 2 X 512MB cards you really need to be using a x64 version of Vista so you have access to all of your system ram. I would go as far as to say even if you have 3gigs and a 512MB card get vista [insert version here] x64

Back