Best Option for Network

Stormlifter

2[H]4U
Hey [H]...

Here's the deal, I was going to go with a Linux server, but that'll happen later. For now, here's my specs and then later I'll write what I'm trying to do.

It's going to serve as a File/Maintence/multimedia server

1.5ghz P4
400gb
Windows XP
512mb RDRAM (yeah that old stuff)
ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 7500
GIGA-BIT NIC

thats about all you need to know, if you need more let me know.

Here's what I want to do.

Share internet to a HUB (Gigabit, SD2008 by Linksys) but I want the computer to handle all the port forwarding as well. I'll be using Panda Antivirus Platinum for virus protection, and I don't think I'll be using SPAM filter as most ppl this is going to be shared to use HOTMAIL.

So basicly, I need programs for...

Sharing (I know there is ICS, and if thats the best just say so)
Port Forwarding

I also remmember hearing about a proggie that increases performance on Windows XP network transfers. It was called "Total Dir" or... "Complete Dir" I'm not completly sure what it was called but I remmember the word "Dir"

Any other suggestions just go right ahead. Also I'd like to know if I'm really loosing performace by not using Linux (or something else) If you think I am... then please list what O/S you think I should use.

ICS is about the only option you have if you want to use XP. I'd suggest buying a cheap router or getting an old machine with two NICs and set it up as a router instead of using your file server.

Originally posted by Stormlifter
Hey [H]...

Here's the deal, I was going to go with a Linux server, but that'll happen later. For now, here's my specs and then later I'll write what I'm trying to do.

It's going to serve as a File/Maintence/multimedia server

1.5ghz P4
400gb
Windows XP
512mb RDRAM (yeah that old stuff)
ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 7500
GIGA-BIT NIC

thats about all you need to know, if you need more let me know.

Here's what I want to do.

Share internet to a HUB (Gigabit, SD2008 by Linksys) but I want the computer to handle all the port forwarding as well. I'll be using Panda Antivirus Platinum for virus protection, and I don't think I'll be using SPAM filter as most ppl this is going to be shared to use HOTMAIL.
you probably mean a switch, as a gigabit hub is not feasible. You are way better off having some old box running *nix or some linux distro or buying a little linksys/netgear/dlink router than having this box be right on the net. thats not very security concious.

Hey [H]...

So basicly, I need programs for...

Sharing (I know there is ICS, and if thats the best just say so)
Port Forwarding

I also remmember hearing about a proggie that increases performance on Windows XP network transfers. It was called "Total Dir" or... "Complete Dir" I'm not completly sure what it was called but I remmember the word "Dir"
bahahahahahaha
right.
Hey [H]...
Any other suggestions just go right ahead. Also I'd like to know if I'm really loosing performace by not using Linux (or something else) If you think I am... then please list what O/S you think I should use.
you are losing a ton of performance by using windows, not to mention security instantly degrades to that of crotchless pants on a whore during mardi gras. If you are really desperate to have this box do all your intarweb sharing and such too, and port forwarding, I highly recommend you setup a bootable linux distro such as Clarkconnect or smoothwall or search on http://google.com, coyote linux or FreeSCO. I highly recommend clarkconnect, it does file serving, firewalling, mail filtering, bandwidth limiting, blah de friggin blah it does alot more than youll ever get your windoze box to do.:rolleyes:
oh and its super easy to setup and maintain too :D

Thanks for the help... sorry for my quick post.

I ment Switch, yeah... not a hub...

I'm probably going with that ClarkConnect. I'm reading up on it right now.

THanks

Okay so... I looked at Clark, thing is, I think linux would be better? because it has more support? Is there an easy to install linux? One that will work well as a file/maitenence server? I need virus protection, so if you have a clue as to a good linux one, cheap plz.
Another, do you think I should use RAID? I've got a 2 slot raid card and two 120GB drives and two 80gb drives... should I do a speed raid? I've got giga-bit, so I'm thinking a speed raid would help a lot, I won't be able to get quite up to giga-bit speed of 100mb/s but at least with raid I may be able to get closer. I'm not worried to much about data failure, I've got a $400 backup APC.

What do you think? to sum it all up

*Easy to install/use (Suse?) Linux for use in: File/Maintenece server < willin' to pay a bit for this
*Virus protection < make cheap as possible
*Raid... yes or no? is so what type?

what other suggestions do you have

You are way better off having some old box running *nix or some linux distro or buying a little linksys/netgear/dlink router than having this box be right on the net. thats not very security concious.
Well actualy the purpose of that would be that I would install firewall and security programs so that the linux box would serve as a computer firewall. Much safer than using a router, as it is customizable, I play games so I need forwarded ports, and my router doesn't have enough slots. Also i can monitor bandwidth and limit access by program, not just port.

The linux box would be more security concious than just router.
-----------------------------------
EDIT - I also think Linux would be better as I use bittorrent for file transfers between a group of my friends, we use it to move around large files. So I would need Bittorrent support, does Clarkconnect have that?

Okay so... I looked at Clark, thing is, I think linux would be better? because it has more support? Is there an easy to install linux? One that will work well as a file/maitenence server? I need virus protection, so if you have a clue as to a good linux one, cheap plz.
Another, do you think I should use RAID? I've got a 2 slot raid card and two 120GB drives and two 80gb drives... should I do a speed raid? I've got giga-bit, so I'm thinking a speed raid would help a lot, I won't be able to get quite up to giga-bit speed of 100mb/s but at least with raid I may be able to get closer. I'm not worried to much about data failure, I've got a $400 backup APC.

What do you think? to sum it all up

*Easy to install/use (Suse?) Linux for use in: File/Maintenece server < willin' to pay a bit for this
*Virus protection < make cheap as possible
*Raid... yes or no? is so what type?

what other suggestions do you have

Well actualy the purpose of that would be that I would install firewall and security programs so that the linux box would serve as a computer firewall. Much safer than using a router, as it is customizable, I play games so I need forwarded ports, and my router doesn't have enough slots. Also i can monitor bandwidth and limit access by program, not just port.

The linux box would be more security concious than just router.
-----------------------------------
EDIT - I also think Linux would be better as I use bittorrent for file transfers between a group of my friends, we use it to move around large files. So I would need Bittorrent support, does Clarkconnect have that?

Clarkconnect is linux. It's based off of RedHat, and it's made mainly to be a firewall distribution. It can also be a file server if you like. It has antivirus stuff you can use too. It can basically do anything you want.

RAID really depends on what you want to do with it. 0 is for speed which sounds like what you want. Just watch out for drive failure, your data will be gone.

yeah clarkconnect is what you want. It is super easy to install, and is a linux distro of sorts, it does firewalling, AV scanning of mail, bandwidth limiting if needed, mail server, file server, tons of stuff. I highly recommend it for the ease of use over installing a linux distro and doing that all yourself. if you want help installing it, PM me or email me [email protected].

Back